How is "********" an appropriate name for a professional sports team ?

Who the f names their team the ******** anyways? It's even funnier That one of their rivals is the cowboys.

Although the name is so common to me in reference to a football team that I don't bat an eye and I don't even think of referring to the indigenous people of this land as "********" it is insanely insensitive and outright cruel when you give it some thought. Same goes for the team name "Indians" and their logo, it's also shows the embedded ignorance of Americans.

Clearly none of you know where the term ******** comes from.

"the term is extremely offensive to me. Let me explain why.Back not so long ago, when there was a bounty on the heads of the Indianpeople...the trappers would bring in Indian scalps along with the other skinsthat they had managed to trap or shoot. These scalps brought varying pricesas did the skins of the animals. The trappers would tell the trading post owneror whoever it was that he was dealing with, that he had 2 bearskins, a coupleof beaver skins...and a few scalps. Well, the term "scalp" offended the goodChristian women of the community and they asked that another term be foundto describe these things. So, the trappers and hunters began using the term"*******"...they would tell the owner that they had bearskin, deer skins....and"********." The term came from the bloody mess that one saw when lookingat the scalp...thus the term "red"...skin because it was the "skin" of an"animal" just like the others that they had...so, it became "********". So, yousee when we see or hear that term...we don't see a football team...we don'tsee a game being played...we don't see any "honor"...we see the bloodypieces of scalps that were hacked off of our men, women and even ourchildren...
"

yeah I'm sure snyder is really trying to honor native americans with that name
eyes.gif

http://www.aics.org/mascot/********.html

Change it. I remember hearing some uproar about this back when I was 12 or something. Surprised nothing came of it if it got so popular that a 12 year old heard about it.

I understand why pro teams haven't changed or gotten pressure, but colleges should definitely distance from offensive terms

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

Change it. I remember hearing some uproar about this back when I was 12 or something. Surprised nothing came of it if it got so popular that a 12 year old heard about it.
I don't even know what your point is.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

I don't even know what your point is.
I think that they should change it.

This issue was brought up when I was younger.

It was a really hot issue and really popular.

Usually when issues like this become that big, it gets reconciled.

I am surprised that it didn't.

Okay, I hope you understand it now. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Professor YKK

What about this?

Notre-Dame-Fighting-Irish.jpg
I cant really explain it, but to me naming a team after a tribe or group is different than naming after a racial characteristic. I know it doesnt make much sense, but to me ******** is offensive. However Seminoles, Chiefs, Cowboys isn't. Thats just me though

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

^ C'mon... you know they're too drunk to care!

Stereotype much?

It was a joke. You really need to lighten up... unless you're "colored." Then you're fine just the way you are. Promise. 
happy.gif

Originally Posted by negetive00plxco

Clearly none of you know where the term ******** comes from.

"the term is extremely offensive to me. Let me explain why.Back not so long ago, when there was a bounty on the heads of the Indianpeople...the trappers would bring in Indian scalps along with the other skinsthat they had managed to trap or shoot. These scalps brought varying pricesas did the skins of the animals. The trappers would tell the trading post owneror whoever it was that he was dealing with, that he had 2 bearskins, a coupleof beaver skins...and a few scalps. Well, the term "scalp" offended the goodChristian women of the community and they asked that another term be foundto describe these things. So, the trappers and hunters began using the term"*******"...they would tell the owner that they had bearskin, deer skins....and"********." The term came from the bloody mess that one saw when lookingat the scalp...thus the term "red"...skin because it was the "skin" of an"animal" just like the others that they had...so, it became "********". So, yousee when we see or hear that term...we don't see a football team...we don'tsee a game being played...we don't see any "honor"...we see the bloodypieces of scalps that were hacked off of our men, women and even ourchildren...
"

yeah I'm sure snyder is really trying to honor native americans with that name
eyes.gif

http://www.aics.org/mascot/********.html
they don't care though. it didn't affect them then, it sure as hell doesn't affect them now.

A lot of people in here are showing their ignorance and a false and extremely arrogant sense of entitlement...

Originally Posted by red mpls

A lot of people in here are showing their ignorance and a false and extremely arrogant sense of entitlement...

Welcome to America...............

Personally, I think it's disgusting.  

To me, the truth of the matter is that the resistance is indicative of selfishness, spite, and ignorance to be sure, but it's also a product of the status quo bias.  

America is still very much a racist nation, but you can't tell me that if Washington just landed an expansion team that they'd even remotely consider naming it ANYTHING like that.  They wouldn't run a poll just to make sure that only "some" people are deeply offended by it.  In 2012, it wouldn't even be an option to call your team a slur.  

So why keep it?  Fans cling to it, in part, for the same reason we refuse to convert to the metric system.  People, in general, are too lazy and selfish to put all future generations' well-being ahead of their own momentary convenience.  

This doesn't have to be the case, however.  

I lived in DC for years and grew up in the area.  I used to go to Bullets games as a kid.  Yes, I have plenty of nostalgic memories regarding the team and, yes, I think they could've done a lot better than "Wizards" for a replacement, but I am 100% thankful that the team rebranded.  "Wizards" may still sound weird to me two decades from now - but I'm really glad that it won't sound strange to future generations.  That will be THEIR expectation.  They'll forge nostalgic connections to the WIZARDS name - not "Bullets," and that, to me, is a sign of progress.  It means that our generation will have left things at least a little better - if only in this one small respect - than we found it.  

For Snyder to keep that name is like maintaining a "Whites Only" restroom policy because the sign is an antique.  

As for the Supreme Court's gutless decision in 2009, they only proved that justice delayed really is justice denied.  

Now it's up to consumers and fans.  The reasons to keep it are so trivial... and the reasons to replace it are so profound.  

I never really thought about it or even knew it was offensive, but now that I do I feel it's even more of a slap to the face with the team being located in DC.

Back
Top Bottom