How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

I watched both boxing (Klitschko/Haye) and MMA (UFC 132) events yesterday and the disparity between the two as far as entertainment goes was quite large.  I am a huge boxing fan and still believe in the "sweet science" that goes into putting together a masterful boxing match.  However, in today's "I need it fast and I need it now" society, does anyone else feel that boxing maybe too antiquated to continue to dominate as far as full contact non-team sports go?  Look at how football took over baseball's spot as "America's pastime" as American society became one of instant gratification.

What solidifies the notion that it will happen to me is that yesterday's boxing match was for a (not the) heavyweight championship.  What was once one of the most prestigious titles in American culture, defended on PPV with millions of buys, is now an afterthought between Shrek Ever After and reruns of True Blood.

And with boxing's many problems (guys not wanting to fight other guys, too many sanctioning bodies, meaningless "titles", etc.), I'm thinking the takeover may happen sooner than later.

I watched both boxing (Klitschko/Haye) and MMA (UFC 132) events yesterday and the disparity between the two as far as entertainment goes was quite large.  I am a huge boxing fan and still believe in the "sweet science" that goes into putting together a masterful boxing match.  However, in today's "I need it fast and I need it now" society, does anyone else feel that boxing maybe too antiquated to continue to dominate as far as full contact non-team sports go?  Look at how football took over baseball's spot as "America's pastime" as American society became one of instant gratification.

What solidifies the notion that it will happen to me is that yesterday's boxing match was for a (not the) heavyweight championship.  What was once one of the most prestigious titles in American culture, defended on PPV with millions of buys, is now an afterthought between Shrek Ever After and reruns of True Blood.

And with boxing's many problems (guys not wanting to fight other guys, too many sanctioning bodies, meaningless "titles", etc.), I'm thinking the takeover may happen sooner than later.

Boxing is only as strong (to the casual sports fan) as the heavyweight division, which is a joke right now. MMA taps into the extreme culture we live in now, where "bigger, badder, stronger" has taken over. It'll eventually run its course, just not anytime soon.

Boxing is only as strong (to the casual sports fan) as the heavyweight division, which is a joke right now. MMA taps into the extreme culture we live in now, where "bigger, badder, stronger" has taken over. It'll eventually run its course, just not anytime soon.

I think it already has.

I'd much rather watch 2 big named boxers than MMA anything but...too much ducking and dodging to create big fights these days. MMA dudes be acting like they DGAF.
laugh.gif

I think it already has.

I'd much rather watch 2 big named boxers than MMA anything but...too much ducking and dodging to create big fights these days. MMA dudes be acting like they DGAF.
laugh.gif

I had to check the date to see how old this thread was....

MMA took over for boxing like 2 years ago.

get pac and may to fight each other and it would be bigger than any match MMA could ever put together

An american heavyweight champ would also do wonders for it's popularity

get pac and may to fight each other and it would be bigger than any match MMA could ever put together

Originally Posted by DubA169

Agreed, but that's one fight. There's no other match up that would come close to making that much buzz though. MMA has taken over. Mostly because boxing hurts itself with all this ducking and 8 million promoters and belts.

Agreed, but that's one fight. There's no other match up that would come close to making that much buzz though. MMA has taken over. Mostly because boxing hurts itself with all this ducking and 8 million promoters and belts.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Pac-Mosley did more than all but one UFC ppv
There  arent as many boxing ppvs for what its worth

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Pac-Mosley did more than all but one UFC ppv
There  arent as many boxing ppvs for what its worth

Originally Posted by Buc Em

This. OP came at it with a thesis-like approach and everything though
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

As said above boxing is done barring a huge fight pac/mayweather. I was a huge boxing fan but there arent enough fights that interest people anymore. Most times the undercards are not the best. I think the UFC does a good job advertising the entire card and not just the big fight. The UFC countdown shows usually showcase at least 3 fights and there is a major event atleast once a month. Then they give free fights and the TUF show to showcase the brand to people who probably wouldnt pay for a PPV. I was talking to my friend about this the other day. From a money stand point yeah its not as great for UFC fighters because 1 company controls everything but at least they make the fights people want to see. Boxing is suffering from to many people haggling for money for other fighters and aren't forced to fight. Ok i'm done with my rant. haha

As said above boxing is done barring a huge fight pac/mayweather. I was a huge boxing fan but there arent enough fights that interest people anymore. Most times the undercards are not the best. I think the UFC does a good job advertising the entire card and not just the big fight. The UFC countdown shows usually showcase at least 3 fights and there is a major event atleast once a month. Then they give free fights and the TUF show to showcase the brand to people who probably wouldnt pay for a PPV. I was talking to my friend about this the other day. From a money stand point yeah its not as great for UFC fighters because 1 company controls everything but at least they make the fights people want to see. Boxing is suffering from to many people haggling for money for other fighters and aren't forced to fight. Ok i'm done with my rant. haha

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

When a MMA fighter nets $100 million in a year or can purse $30 million plus for 1 fight.

this is a HORRRIBLE argument... Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are the top 2 american sports earners

does that mean golf has surpassed... well any of the major sports?

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

laugh.gif

Sorry if I used too many big words
laugh.gif
  I just finished part of my dissertation, so that's the mode I'm in.

And I think as far as our generation maybe it has.  But that doesn't constitute a complete overtaking.  Older generations still think of names like Ali and Tyson which resonate more than any MMA star past or present.  And those older generations control a lot of the media thus dictating what is more important.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

When a MMA fighter nets $100 million in a year or can purse $30 million plus for 1 fight.

this is a HORRRIBLE argument... Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are the top 2 american sports earners

does that mean golf has surpassed... well any of the major sports?

Back
Top Bottom