How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

Originally Posted by Buc Em

I had to check the date to see how old this thread was....

MMA took over for boxing like 2 years ago.
This. OP came at it with a thesis-like approach and everything though
laugh.gif

Sorry if I used too many big words
laugh.gif
  I just finished part of my dissertation, so that's the mode I'm in.

And I think as far as our generation maybe it has.  But that doesn't constitute a complete overtaking.  Older generations still think of names like Ali and Tyson which resonate more than any MMA star past or present.  And those older generations control a lot of the media thus dictating what is more important.

I don't think some of ya'll realize that even Pac/MM probably can't save the sport. If it does happen it will likely be the last hurrah. People watch MMA for the same reason millions of ppl play Call of Duty. Instant gratification, as OP mentioned. And it doesn't help that MMA is much easier to relate to. Growing up and even as adults we all scrap. Whether in jest or for real. Few people actually box it out with straight hands. When most of us were kids we didn't want to be Ali or Foreman, we wanted to be Macho Man or Hulk Hogan lol.

I don't think some of ya'll realize that even Pac/MM probably can't save the sport. If it does happen it will likely be the last hurrah. People watch MMA for the same reason millions of ppl play Call of Duty. Instant gratification, as OP mentioned. And it doesn't help that MMA is much easier to relate to. Growing up and even as adults we all scrap. Whether in jest or for real. Few people actually box it out with straight hands. When most of us were kids we didn't want to be Ali or Foreman, we wanted to be Macho Man or Hulk Hogan lol.

Not sure how popular boxing is across the world but its safe to say MMA has taken over North America, Brazil & Japan. The UFC's domestic PPV buys yearly are greater than the WWE's INTERNATIONAL PPV buys yearly. Making the UFC the current king of PPV. Boxing now has ONE fight that everyone wants to see, while MMA is continuing to deliver quality cards every month. Sure, MMA fighters aren't making as much money as Floyd or Pac, but MMA has a completely different business model.

Not sure how popular boxing is across the world but its safe to say MMA has taken over North America, Brazil & Japan. The UFC's domestic PPV buys yearly are greater than the WWE's INTERNATIONAL PPV buys yearly. Making the UFC the current king of PPV. Boxing now has ONE fight that everyone wants to see, while MMA is continuing to deliver quality cards every month. Sure, MMA fighters aren't making as much money as Floyd or Pac, but MMA has a completely different business model.

Originally Posted by Demps

who sells more ppv, boxing or mma?

boxing

and that wack %!! heavyweight fight from saturday will proably do better numbers then UFC PPV event

boxing is dead? stop watching PTI and getting your facts from there

boxing

and that wack %!! heavyweight fight from saturday will proably do better numbers then UFC PPV event

MMA hasn't taken over boxing...
They are both very niche sports, but MMA is still more niche
I think what stunts MMA's growth is all the pay per views, nobody but the most extreme fans is willing to dish out 50 bucks every two weeks for that $%@%...
Ex: no one can argue that the UFC main event wasn't better than the Haye, Vlad fight, but who really saw that $%@%?
All my friends were talking about the Heavyweight fight (even though it was almost all negative). I mentioned the great main even UFC fight and I got straight crickets (I streamed it myself).

MMA hasn't taken over boxing...
They are both very niche sports, but MMA is still more niche
I think what stunts MMA's growth is all the pay per views, nobody but the most extreme fans is willing to dish out 50 bucks every two weeks for that $%@%...
Ex: no one can argue that the UFC main event wasn't better than the Haye, Vlad fight, but who really saw that $%@%?
All my friends were talking about the Heavyweight fight (even though it was almost all negative). I mentioned the great main even UFC fight and I got straight crickets (I streamed it myself).

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

boxing

Total per year? UFC. Record for most in one event? Boxing. 

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

boxing

Total per year? UFC. Record for most in one event? Boxing. 

Back
Top Bottom