How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Demps wrote:

who sells more ppv, boxing or mma?

boxing

and that wack %!! heavyweight fight from saturday will proably do better numbers then UFC PPV event

boxing is dead? stop watching PTI and getting your facts from there

This.

If boxing is dead MMA has never been alive. MMA stacks their cards and still don't do what popular boxers do. If boxing stacked cards the way MMA did, it'd end this ridiculous debate.

Big time boxing has it's place in the sports landscape and always will.

Demps wrote:

boxing

and that wack %!! heavyweight fight from saturday will proably do better numbers then UFC PPV event

This.

If boxing is dead MMA has never been alive. MMA stacks their cards and still don't do what popular boxers do. If boxing stacked cards the way MMA did, it'd end this ridiculous debate.

Big time boxing has it's place in the sports landscape and always will.

Some of the things I've read in here are the most idiotic, misinformed, and foolish statements I've ever read.

laugh.gif

Boxing is never going to "die" or get suprassed by mma because boxing and mma are two different things. Why can't they co exist with each other without being compared to one another? If you seriously are going to make the comparison between last nights boxing match and last nights ufc, please off ya self ASAP. But if u want to make the comparison, please tell me why manny pacquiao and Floyd mayweather can do 3x the numbers a single ufc can? And that griffin fight can't hold a torch to gatti-ward 1 or Castillo-coralles. I'm tired of typing on my iPhone, when my internet gets back up I'll be back in this ridiculous thread.

Some of the things I've read in here are the most idiotic, misinformed, and foolish statements I've ever read.

laugh.gif

Boxing is never going to "die" or get suprassed by mma because boxing and mma are two different things. Why can't they co exist with each other without being compared to one another? If you seriously are going to make the comparison between last nights boxing match and last nights ufc, please off ya self ASAP. But if u want to make the comparison, please tell me why manny pacquiao and Floyd mayweather can do 3x the numbers a single ufc can? And that griffin fight can't hold a torch to gatti-ward 1 or Castillo-coralles. I'm tired of typing on my iPhone, when my internet gets back up I'll be back in this ridiculous thread.

Boxing is dead because you only hear about it 4 times a year..... maybe.

How often you hear about MMA? Every 2 weeks.

It's just more relevant. Compare TV content.

UFC is breaking into foreign markets. Japan, Brazil, Australia, Europe

Boxing is dead because you only hear about it 4 times a year..... maybe.

How often you hear about MMA? Every 2 weeks.

It's just more relevant. Compare TV content.

UFC is breaking into foreign markets. Japan, Brazil, Australia, Europe

Originally Posted by thacapt

laugh.gif

Because there is 1 pacquiao floyd mayweather fight? And 12 UFC's a year. Can boxing put up 12 PPV cards a year? 

Originally Posted by thacapt

laugh.gif

Because there is 1 pacquiao floyd mayweather fight? And 12 UFC's a year. Can boxing put up 12 PPV cards a year? 

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by DubA169

get pac and may to fight each other and it would be bigger than any match MMA could ever put together

An american heavyweight champ would also do wonders for it's popularity
Agreed, but that's one fight. There's no other match up that would come close to making that much buzz though. MMA has taken over. Mostly because boxing hurts itself with all this ducking and 8 million promoters and belts.
Pac-Mosley did more than all but one UFC ppv
There  arent as many boxing ppvs for what its worth
^Once again.
Horrible fight everyone saw coming did that.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by DubA169

get pac and may to fight each other and it would be bigger than any match MMA could ever put together

An american heavyweight champ would also do wonders for it's popularity
Agreed, but that's one fight. There's no other match up that would come close to making that much buzz though. MMA has taken over. Mostly because boxing hurts itself with all this ducking and 8 million promoters and belts.
Pac-Mosley did more than all but one UFC ppv
There  arent as many boxing ppvs for what its worth
^Once again.
Horrible fight everyone saw coming did that.

You hear about it every two weeks?

Every two weeks there's a different name in MMA.

I personally haven't heard of anything MMA related since UFC 100. It's not because it's not popular, it is, but it's still a niche sport.

It'll never become a mainstream sport again, and it'll probably be a long time before boxing ever is again.

I'd say MMA is more popular right now to the general sports audience.

I'll probably get blasted for this but there aren't that many UFC fighters that are high profile names, headlining PPVs. The same isn't true for boxing. Cruz and Faber? What's a Faber? Bet that more people know about Klitschko than either of those dudes, or Tito Ortiz probably for that matter.

MMA is so popular because it's a brutal sport, and people flock to it because they love violence. Our society as a whole loves violence. That's why people behind UFC are so smart. They know you don't know the names of the guys who begin a card, but they know they can put two guys out there who will pummel the crap out of each other and people will fall in love. That's why there ARE PPVs every 2 or 3 weeks.

You hear about it every two weeks?

Every two weeks there's a different name in MMA.

I personally haven't heard of anything MMA related since UFC 100. It's not because it's not popular, it is, but it's still a niche sport.

It'll never become a mainstream sport again, and it'll probably be a long time before boxing ever is again.

I'd say MMA is more popular right now to the general sports audience.

I'll probably get blasted for this but there aren't that many UFC fighters that are high profile names, headlining PPVs. The same isn't true for boxing. Cruz and Faber? What's a Faber? Bet that more people know about Klitschko than either of those dudes, or Tito Ortiz probably for that matter.

MMA is so popular because it's a brutal sport, and people flock to it because they love violence. Our society as a whole loves violence. That's why people behind UFC are so smart. They know you don't know the names of the guys who begin a card, but they know they can put two guys out there who will pummel the crap out of each other and people will fall in love. That's why there ARE PPVs every 2 or 3 weeks.

^ Boxing draws... Floyd & Pac. UFC/Strikeforce draws... Lesnar, GSP, Velasquez, Rampage... etc.
The reason Faber & Cruz aren't well known to the general audience is because these 2 fighters fought in a different organization that did not have the same exposure as the UFC.
MMA and Boxing are only competing for PPV numbers, no other comparison cannot really be made. The UFC right now is the king of PPV and will stay like that for a while. I do want to see MMA, boxing, and even Pro Wrestling all co-exist.

^ Boxing draws... Floyd & Pac. UFC/Strikeforce draws... Lesnar, GSP, Velasquez, Rampage... etc.
The reason Faber & Cruz aren't well known to the general audience is because these 2 fighters fought in a different organization that did not have the same exposure as the UFC.
MMA and Boxing are only competing for PPV numbers, no other comparison cannot really be made. The UFC right now is the king of PPV and will stay like that for a while. I do want to see MMA, boxing, and even Pro Wrestling all co-exist.

The sport's popularity was also noticed by the sports betting community as BodogLife.com, an online gambling site, stated in July 2007 that in 2007 UFC would surpass boxing for the first time in terms of betting revenues.[49] In fact, the UFC had already broken the pay-per-view industry's all-time records for a single year of business, generating over $222,766,000 in revenue in 2006, surpassing both WWE and boxing.

The sport's popularity was also noticed by the sports betting community as BodogLife.com, an online gambling site, stated in July 2007 that in 2007 UFC would surpass boxing for the first time in terms of betting revenues.[49] In fact, the UFC had already broken the pay-per-view industry's all-time records for a single year of business, generating over $222,766,000 in revenue in 2006, surpassing both WWE and boxing.

WRONG.

There are new fights every 2 weeks because there are a lot of weight divisions, and relevant fighters in each division.

WBC
Heavyweight Champion - Vitali Wladimirovich Klitschko
Cruiserweight Champion - krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Lt. Heavyweight Champion - Bernard Hopkins
Supermiddleweight Champion - Carl Froch
Middleweight Champion - Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Superwelterweight Champion - Saul Alvarez

Which names here have PPV draw? All boxing has left is Pacman and Money Mayweather

UFC
Heavyweight Champion - Cain Velasquez
Light Heavyweight Champion - Jon Jones
Middleweight Champion - Anderson Silva
Welterweight Champion - Georges St. Pierre
Lightweight Champion - Frankie Edgar
Featherweight Champion - Jose Aldo

WRONG.

There are new fights every 2 weeks because there are a lot of weight divisions, and relevant fighters in each division.

WBC

Which names here have PPV draw? All boxing has left is Pacman and Money Mayweather

UFC

I recognize two guys on that list for MMA. Probably about the same most people would recognize on the boxing list.

Yet as a fan of boxing, I know each of those names. We're fans of different sports, of course you'll know names I don't.

Awfully courteous of you to leave off Andre Ward, Cotto, Vic Ortiz, Manny, Amir Khan, Timothy Bradley, Zam Judah, JMM, and Robert Guerrero.

No, a lot of these guys won't be on PPVs (YET), but that's because most of those boxers are fighting on PAID subscriptions via Showtime and HBO, an argument no one ever seems to talk about.

Like I said, MMA is a brutal sport, and people flock to it. There are tons of decent guys on the undercard who provide plenty of entertainment, that's why MMA PPVs are so successful, because their card will be entertaining from beginning to end normally.

Most people don't care about boxing undercards. Still, it's not because the names are more attractive.

Boxing has hands-down the best two draws of either sport, but MMA has the draw of putting on a great show that people will enjoy.

I recognize two guys on that list for MMA. Probably about the same most people would recognize on the boxing list.

Yet as a fan of boxing, I know each of those names. We're fans of different sports, of course you'll know names I don't.

Awfully courteous of you to leave off Andre Ward, Cotto, Vic Ortiz, Manny, Amir Khan, Timothy Bradley, Zam Judah, JMM, and Robert Guerrero.

No, a lot of these guys won't be on PPVs (YET), but that's because most of those boxers are fighting on PAID subscriptions via Showtime and HBO, an argument no one ever seems to talk about.

Like I said, MMA is a brutal sport, and people flock to it. There are tons of decent guys on the undercard who provide plenty of entertainment, that's why MMA PPVs are so successful, because their card will be entertaining from beginning to end normally.

Most people don't care about boxing undercards. Still, it's not because the names are more attractive.

Boxing has hands-down the best two draws of either sport, but MMA has the draw of putting on a great show that people will enjoy.

Originally Posted by quik1987

WRONG.

WBC

UFC

<
laugh.gif
at you only putting the WBC belt holders. If u want a fair comparison atleast put the relevant fighters in each division. But nice attempt at trying to make boxing look bad tho.

Originally Posted by quik1987

WRONG.

WBC

UFC

<
laugh.gif
at you only putting the WBC belt holders. If u want a fair comparison atleast put the relevant fighters in each division. But nice attempt at trying to make boxing look bad tho.

It would only be worse if I named every boxing association.

Belt holders aren't relevent? Oh.

It would only be worse if I named every boxing association.

Belt holders aren't relevent? Oh.

Originally Posted by Demps

boxing

Why are you always mad?

Back
Top Bottom