How many "classic" albums in hip-hop have there been in the past 10-12 years or so? Name two...

In all honesty, Maino's album is VERY well put together.

Too hard to name only 2:

60163373.jpg
album-aquemini.jpg
album-speakerboxxx-the-love-below.jpg
upload285e19f20beded7d215102b49d5c09a0.jpg
50%20cents%20get%20rich%20or%20die%20tryin.jpg
album-supreme-clientele.jpg
kanye_west_-_college_dropout.jpg
chronic2001.jpg
20ftw.jpg
jayz_blueprint.jpg
album-the-black-album.jpg
nas_stillmatic_cover.jpg
album-lost-tapes.jpg
o8ud6h.jpg
Big%20puinisher%20-%20capital%20punishment.jpg
album-the-miseducation-of-lauryn-hill.jpg
eminem_the_marshall_mathers_lp_album_cover.jpg
lupefiascocool.jpg

Honorable mentions (you can't deny the influence these albums had on hip-hop culture when they dropped):

VqvNbmq1Uv.jpg
food.jpg
B00005AG5I.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
8916-lets-get-it-thug-motivation-101.jpg

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

The Blueprint isnt a classic and Vol. 2 damn sure isnt one either
smh.gif
i agree wit vol 2 not being a classic. but BP?
laugh.gif

NOW, you were quick to call me a D rider of Jay a lil while ago, yet you managed to name two of Jay-z's albums as non classics out of the blue without evenmentioning what albums you do consider classic.

My point is you come at me with disrespect but you spend more time hatin then you do actually particpating in the thread. Is there a reason for this? or youjust tryin to get a few laughs?

All 3 Carter albums?

Hell Hath No Fury?

Thug Motivation?

Black Album?

Food and Liquor?

Come on people...Classic album = Flawless album

smh.gif

Sorry baby...u might feel BP aint a classic but that !**@ is as classic as it comes...

I disagree when people say a classic album is flawless. First of all, it is all based on opinion so usually everyone will choose different albums as classic.

There are plenty of classic rock albums, some of the greatest albums in history, that have their flaws. There are Beatles records with skippable tracks, butnobody is denying how classic those albums are.

My classic albums are really based on the overall picture. My personal favorite albums that I think are the best ever are not neccessarily classic albums. Ithink classic albums are genre-defining - whether every track on the album is great or not.

smh.gif

Back that up with some hard core facts professor.

I'll do it for you. Forget about the Grammys and going like 5x platinum, Vol. 2 was the soundtrack of that era of rap and for better or worse trailblazedthe sound of commercial rap music during that time. And please explain how Blueprint isn't classic?? Like do you even like Jay-Z or are you just hating forthe sake of it??

I disagree when people say a classic album is flawless. First of all, it is all based on opinion so usually everyone will choose different albums as classic.

There are plenty of classic rock albums, some of the greatest albums in history, that have their flaws. There are Beatles records with skippable tracks, but nobody is denying how classic those albums are.

My classic albums are really based on the overall picture. My personal favorite albums that I think are the best ever are not neccessarily classic albums. I think classic albums are genre-defining - whether every track on the album is great or not.

QFT

How the hell is BP "as classic as it comes"
roll.gif

It was the epitome of sub-par "made for MTV" trash. Strong competitor for most overrated album of all time. Mess of pop garbage and constant braggingwith aweful flow and poor lyrics aimed at the same group Britney Spears was gunning for in sales.

Nothing with

"Jigga That N***a" "H To The Izzo" "girls girls girls" "hola hovito" "rulers back" on it is a"classic"
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
at people arguing that a Universally accepted classic album isn't because his flow, lyrics, and beats are trash...
N Please
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jthagreat

smh.gif
laugh.gif

NOW, you were quick to call me a D rider of Jay a lil while ago, yet you managed to name two of Jay-z's albums as non classics out of the blue without even mentioning what albums you do consider classic.

My point is you come at me with disrespect but you spend more time hatin then you do actually particpating in the thread. Is there a reason for this? or you just tryin to get a few laughs?

Alright, I'll elaborate on my statement although it has been stated more times than I can count.

Personally I feel as though the blueprint is highly overrated, the production was top notch and second to none definitely trancsended anything before it aswell as shaped everything that followed it. There are a few joints on there that are beyond good compared to his catalog "Heart of The City""Never Change" "All I Need" "Lyrical Exercise" "Song Cry" and "Renegade" but besides these songs I hit theskip button. The rest of the album is extremely shallow and lacks any substance (Momma Loves Me excluded but its trash imo) thus it doesn't peek myinterest.

In terms of his classics... RD (obviously), Vol. 1, The Black Album

AG might actually gain consideration within a few years, as it was a damn good lp

As far as spending more time hating, I rock with Jay a lot actually, its his fans extreme view that he does no wrong and that everything he spits is gospelthat I dispise. Not once can you point to a post or a time where I've hated on Jay himself. I have however voiced my grip with him is that he limitedhimself topic wise and conceptually, with all the talent he possesses its a shame that he doesn't tackle more issues that we experience, and whats evensadder is that its not like he can't do it he just doesn't which is sad. You know exactly what your going to hear from him everytime, and while hedoes it very well its only so many times you can repackage the same gift you feel me?

With that being said you have me confused good man.

smh.gif
laugh.gif

NOW, you were quick to call me a D rider of Jay a lil while ago, yet you managed to name two of Jay-z's albums as non classics out of the blue without even mentioning what albums you do consider classic.

My point is you come at me with disrespect but you spend more time hatin then you do actually particpating in the thread. Is there a reason for this? or you just tryin to get a few laughs?

Alright, I'll elaborate on my statement although it has been stated more times than I can count.

Personally I feel as though the blueprint is highly overrated, the production was top notch and second to none definitely trancsended anything before it as well as shaped everything that followed it. There are a few joints on there that are beyond good compared to his catalog "Heart of The City" "Never Change" "All I Need" "Lyrical Exercise" "Song Cry" and "Renegade" but besides these songs I hit the skip button. The rest of the album is extremely shallow and lacks any substance (Momma Loves Me excluded but its trash imo) thus it doesn't peek my interest.

AG might actually gain consideration within a few years, as it was a damn good lp

As far as spending more time hating, I rock with Jay a lot actually, its his fans extreme view that he does no wrong and that everything he spits is gospel that I dispise. Not once can you point to a post or a time where I've hated on Jay himself. I have however voiced my grip with him is that he limited himself topic wise and conceptually, with all the talent he possesses its a shame that he doesn't tackle more issues that we experience, and whats even sadder is that its not like he can't do it he just doesn't which is sad. You know exactly what your going to hear from him everytime, and while he does it very well its only so many times you can repackage the same gift you feel me?

But what im really pointing out is, out of all the albums listed (S!!! Hunger for MOre ) was named, what made BP be the one you named? The fact you named vol 1lets me know you know good music but i mean seriously?

I just got a prob wit people callin folks a rider but they be the main ones bringin up the artist supposably (haha) being rode.

Originally Posted by M16

How the hell is BP "as classic as it comes"
roll.gif

It was the epitome of sub-par "made for MTV" trash. Strong competitor for most overrated album of all time. Mess of pop garbage and constant bragging with aweful flow and poor lyrics aimed at the same group Britney Spears was gunning for in sales.

Nothing with

"Jigga That N***a" "H To The Izzo" "girls girls girls" "hola hovito" "rulers back" on it is a "classic"
indifferent.gif
I gotta agree. Only songs I like off Blueprint are Renegade, Heart of the City, All I Need, Song Cry, Takeover and Blueprint.

Black Album on the other hand only has 1 song I don't like (Threat)

smh.gif
laugh.gif

Personally I feel as though the blueprint is highly overrated, the production was top notch and second to none definitely trancsended anything before it as well as shaped everything that followed it. There are a few joints on there that are beyond good compared to his catalog "Heart of The City" "Never Change" "All I Need" "Lyrical Exercise" "Song Cry" and "Renegade" but besides these songs I hit the skip button. The rest of the album is extremely shallow and lacks any substance (Momma Loves Me excluded but its trash imo) thus it doesn't peek my interest.

As far as spending more time hating, I rock with Jay a lot actually, its his fans extreme view that he does no wrong and that everything he spits is gospel that I dispise. Not once can you point to a post or a time where I've hated on Jay himself. I have however voiced my grip with him is that he limited himself topic wise and conceptually, with all the talent he possesses its a shame that he doesn't tackle more issues that we experience, and whats even sadder is that its not like he can't do it he just doesn't which is sad. You know exactly what your going to hear from him everytime, and while he does it very well its only so many times you can repackage the same gift you feel me?

But what im really pointing out is, out of all the albums listed (S!!! Hunger for MOre ) was named, what made BP be the one you named? The fact you named vol 1 lets me know you know good music but i mean seriously?

I just got a prob wit people callin folks a rider but they be the main ones bringin up the artist supposably (haha) being rode.

Because Blueprint, like All Eyes On Me, is a pet peeve of mine honestly, plus we all know certain +%!@ isn't even worth being spoken about (hunger formore being in that catalog)

I would more say The Blueprint isn't a masterpiece but it is indeed a classic in hop-hop. Albums like Illmatic, The Low End Theory are true masterpiecesbut then you have albums like Life After Death, ATLiens that are considered classics by most but they are not true masterpieces in the same sense of Illmaticor Low End Theory are.... i think some people interpret classics as having 0 skippable tracks which is an unfair characterization. I mean for example I deem 36Chambers as a classic but i still from time to time skip Shame On A N---a, same thing with BP I skip "Izzo" most of the time doesn't make thesealbums any less great. Classic imo is a combination of impact, content & replay value. There's no denying the impact BP had on the game, Takeoversparked one of the greatest rap battles. Content wise its a 4.8/5 and replay value, I hear alot of people still bumping the album till this day. I think weshould start a separate category in hip-hop where the true masterpieces are differentiated from classics, i mean because you have many that view SupremeClientele as a classic, some who view Thug Motivation101 as a classic, College Droput and etc but then there's truly masterpiece albums and I think only 4or 5 exist with Illmatic being 1 of them. maybe Low End Theory, It Takes A Nation..... The Chronic, Paid In Full & OB4CL.

[table][tr][th=""]#[/th] [th=""]Title[/th] [th=""]Producer(s)[/th] [th=""]Samples and notes[/th] [th=""]Length[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]"The Ruler's Back"[/td] [td]Bink[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3:50[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]"Takeover"[/td] [td]Kanye West[/td] [td] [/td] [td]5:13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]"Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"[/td] [td]Kanye West[/td] [td] [/td] [td]4:01[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]"Girls, Girls, Girls" (featuring Q-Tip, Slick Rick and Biz Markie)[/td] [td]Just Blaze[/td] [td]
  • "There's Nothing in This World That Can Stop Me from Loving You" by Tom Brock
  • "High Power Rap" by Disco Dave & The Force of The Five MC's
[/td] [td]4:35[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]"Jigga That $+#+!"[/td] [td]Poke and Tone[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]3:24[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]"U Don't Know"[/td] [td]Just Blaze[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3:19[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]"Hola' Hovito"[/td] [td]Timbaland[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]4:33[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]"Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)"[/td] [td]Kanye West[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3:43[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]"Never Change"[/td] [td]Kanye West[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3:59[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]"Song Cry"[/td] [td]Just Blaze[/td] [td]
  • "Sounds Like a Love Song" by Bobby Glenn
[/td] [td]5:04[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]"All I Need"[/td] [td]Bink[/td] [td] [/td] [td]4:29[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]"Renegade" (featuring Eminem)[/td] [td]Eminem[/td] [td] [/td] [td]5:38[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]"Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)"[/td] [td]Bink[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3:41[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14*[/td] [td]"Breathe Easy (Lyrical Exercise)"[/td] [td]Just Blaze[/td] [td] [/td] [td]3:45[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15*[/td] [td]"Girls, Girls, Girls" (Remix)[/td] [td]Kanye West[/td] [td] [/td] [td]4:14[/td] [/tr][/table]I only skip ONE song on that album...and it's one most people skip.

Back
Top Bottom