How many "classic" albums in hip-hop have there been in the past 10-12 years or so? Name two...

i liked every song on blueprint so it gets the classic label to me

chronic 2001

capial punishment

stillmatic

it is dark and hell is hot

eh im on the fence on calling this one a classic but it got regular plays from me and i still listen to it from time to time 400 degreez

and one more its not a classic but one of my favorite cd's and been on the receiving end of many appreciation posts in the music fourm diplomatic immunity.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

BP is a masterpiece in my eyes.
I can respect your personal opinion but most would disagree including myself. People are gonna be shocked to hear me say this but I actually canride out to AG more so than BP. Honestly American Gangster is a more complete album than BP to me and i skip 2 tracks on BP.... Izzo & Jigga My N---- butonly skip 1 track on AG Pray but the ironic thing is that i view BP as a classic but not AG

As far as the 2000s go my mind automatically skips back to The Grind Date and Madvilliany, I know there's a grip more.

EDIT - So this just another Ol Man Jigga thread in disguise?
smh.gif

indifferent.gif
@ Dapper D calling another dude baby and thinking because auniversity accepts BP as a classic it must be. School me on when Hip Hop became a science and when you were able to teach it. At most any University with a HipHop course are helping ppl understand some parts of it.

And Mo Brooklynati aint a classic, I mean it's too soon. Lets call it really great for now. It's definitely their best work to date.

400 Degreez... the only thing I felt went wrong with that album was putting Jay on the Ha remix. He totally f***ed it up... other than that, pretty much theperfect album to me.

Originally Posted by BayBuryYa

400 Degreez... the only thing I felt went wrong with that album was putting Jay on the Ha remix. He totally f***ed it up... other than that, pretty much the perfect album to me.

ahhh youuuu thought you were badd *#* at the club i'm from the magnolia too you %%$#*. cousins of sons of +#*+%@@. i want them dead i want theirgrandmothers dead.
laugh.gif

you gotta love the skits on 400 degreez

The Notorious B.I.G-Life after Death
Juvenile-400 degreez
Jay-Z-The Blueprint
Soulja Slim-Years later...A Few months after
PPL on NT need to cool out
laugh.gif
at other ppl views of what they think isclassic we all got our different view of what's classic different views in different places say what you want be down here in N.O. & the south period400 degreez is a classic so jus respect everybody opinion

Blueprint
College Dropout
The Love Below
Tha Carter
[color= rgb(0, 51, 0)]Loso's Way[/color]
Country Grammer - STL stand up
Both Lupe albums
Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

word i feel like everyone who says "stop throwing around the word classic" probably have like 5 classic albums in the history of hip hop music

just face the facts, some albums you would never think of are indeed classics. ask a respected hip hop journalist i bet they'll agree with most of my list

Heres 2 albums that I don't think got mentioned...and I feel pretty strongly about (being classic)...

452561.jpg

Both really didn't leave a impact...but the music is to strong for me to ignore
agree/disagree?

Loso's way? You can't imagine how much fun we're having? That's not even Atmosphere's best album. If anything The Lucy Ford LP is classicbecause it may have been the 1st successful "emotional" hip hop record. People dont understand being great, good, or bad is all opinion but classicisnt. I could say D4L "Down For Life" is a great album and you cant say nothing about that cause it's what I think. But if I say it's aclassic I have to back up with evidence to why it is:

- authoritative: of recognized authority or excellence
- a creation of the highest excellence

Only Cormega album near classic status is the "Realness" but even calling that classic is reaching. It's a great album... but nothing brings itup over that level.

Using some of y'all benchmarks we have 200 classics out from just 2000
laugh.gif
Personal classic =/= classic.

a-long-hot-summer.jpg

I know some will disagree, but this is his best album, hands down. IMO, it's the best story of the underground rapper's plight, and one of the bestconcept albums in hip-hop history. A lot of "underground" cats come off as bitter as hell, but Ace is just real as *%@* on this. Great production,great concept, great execution.

madvillain-madvillainy2.jpg

Threw this on the other day for the first time in a good 2 1/2 years.
Doing songs lit, in the booth, with the best host
Doing bong hits, on the roof, in the West Coast
smh.gif

This joint is a listening experience, ala E. 1999 Eternal

album-just-tryin-ta-live.jpg

One of the funniest and realest albums ever IMO. Devin is one of the few rappers who doesn't get on the mic and front. He really is just a funny !@$ catwho loves weed, {{}},and beer as much as the next man. This album is Chappelle's Killin' Me Softly in hip-hopform.

Others:
Lupe- Food & Liquor
Binary Star- Masters of the Universe

And Mega's The Realness is definitely a classic...

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Heres 2 albums that I don't think got mentioned...and I feel pretty strongly about (being classic)...

452561.jpg

Both really didn't leave a impact...but the music is to strong for me to ignore
agree/disagree?

Cormega, no. But everyone's opinion will differ. Personally, The Realness & Testament >>> True Meaning.

Freeway, YES. I agree that the impact was non-existent. But that album got a lot of respect from his peers. I'll never forget the day him and Field Mobwere at BET for the same show and Smoke came out of nowhere with no shirt on and bowed down at his feet giving him props.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

a-long-hot-summer.jpg

I know some will disagree, but this is his best album, hands down. IMO, it's the best story of the underground rapper's plight, and one of the best concept albums in hip-hop history. A lot of "underground" cats come off as bitter as hell, but Ace is just real as *%@* on this. Great production, great concept, great execution.
I'm content with some ppl thinking Madvillain and Dev's albums are not classics, they are not the norm although still great imo but showme who, WHO don't think A Long Hot Summer is not a classic.

I'll wait, hope there's good arguments for why this is not a classic.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Blueprint
Stillmatic
Tha Carter
Both Lupe albums
Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Mybad for jacking your list, but it is similar to mines.

Back
Top Bottom