How many of y'all arent on the social networks?

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I'm not really narcissistic enough to think people care about every single thought that crosses my mind and every insignificant happening.

That's exactly how I feel but people look at me like I got 3 eyes when I tell em I don't fb or twitter. I might break down at get a twitter account. It's a damn shame I gotta get a twitter account just cop Nike's.

only get on facebook for a lil like once a day..

Lurk twitter.. it's starting to get wack. Deactivating it soon

Screw "social networking" sites, all they do is mind !$+$ people, especially twitter.

You guys do realize its possible to have a FB/Twitter without sharing intimate details of your life? Having a FB has been clutch for me so many times that its hard for me to talk down on it. Old friends/flings, friends out of state, easily getting a hold of people when you don't have their number, I could go on all night.

Originally Posted by presequel

you know, technically NT is a social network.
Technically, its not. Thats like saying "you know, technically Websters dictionary is a thesaurus." They're similar but completely different at the same time. 
People don't hop on Niketalk to find their friends/family and to upload pictures/videos and to check up on people. 

We hop on Niketalk to talk and sell shoes. Niketalk is a message board. The only thing NT has in common with social networking is us talking. 

Originally Posted by Keif Sweat

You guys do realize its possible to have a FB/Twitter without sharing intimate details of your life? Having a FB has been clutch for me so many times that its hard for me to talk down on it. Old friends/flings, friends out of state, easily getting a hold of people when you don't have their number, I could go on all night.
Pretty much my reason for using it, especially since I'm out of college, and people may or may not be back in their homestate

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

I am an enigma to most, and that is just the way I would prefer it to be.

Thats why I deactivated mine. People are so close thru social networks, no one really reaches out anymore. Over the meaningless connections w/ people
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by PRIME

Originally Posted by presequel

you know, technically NT is a social network.
Technically, its not. Thats like saying "you know, technically Websters dictionary is a thesaurus." They're similar but completely different at the same time. 
People don't hop on Niketalk to find their friends/family and to upload pictures/videos and to check up on people. 

We hop on Niketalk to talk and sell shoes. Niketalk is a message board. The only thing NT has in common with social networking is us talking. 
I don't want to get into a long discussion about something like this, but at its core, social networking is about groups of people coming together in a form of a community to discuss or engage with each other. The basic premise of it is that. Now is NT the same as a facebook? No (even though yuku has profiles, followers, and etc). But a message board is still a social network, though it is older in form than the newer forms of social media sites we now know today. I understand what you were probably trying to say, but I don't agree with the dictionary/thesaurus comparison. Both are inherently social, which is the basis of what I was getting at. And people actually do upload/post pictures/videos and check up on people here, not just talk and sell shoes. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

[h1]Facebook spies on phone users' text messages, report says[/h1]
Published February 26, 2012

| FoxNews.com

LONDON –  Internet giant Facebook is accessing smartphone users' personal text messages, an investigation revealed Sunday.

Facebook admitted reading text messages belonging to smartphone users who downloaded the social-networking app and said that it was accessing the data as part of a trial to launch its own messaging service, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

A spokesman for Facebook says while nothing has been launched yet, users will be prompted to give permission when the feature debuts.

"The permission is clearly disclosed on the app page in the Android marketplace and is in anticipation of new features that enable users to integrate Facebook features with their texts," a spokesman for Facebook said in a statement. "However, other than some very limited testing, we haven't launched anything yet so we're not using the permission.

Other well-known companies accessing smartphone users' personal data -- such as text messages -- include photo-sharing site Flickr, dating site Badoo and Yahoo Messenger, the paper said.

It claimed that some apps even allow companies to intercept phone calls -- while others, such as YouTube, are capable of remotely accessing and operating users' smartphone cameras to take photographs or videos at any time.

Security app My Remote Lock and the app Tennis Juggling Game were among smaller companies' apps that may intercept users' calls, the paper said.

Emma Draper, of the Privacy International campaign group, said, "Your personal information is a precious commodity, and companies will go to great lengths to get their hands on as much of it as possible."

More than 400,000 apps can be downloaded to Android phones, and more than 500,000 are available for iPhones -- with all apps downloaded from Apple's App Store covered by the same terms and conditions policy.

According to a YouGov poll for the newspaper, 70 percent of smartphone users rarely or never read the terms and conditions policy when they download an app.

Newscore contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...text-messages-report-says/print#ixzz1namgBNPe

One of the main reasons I dont have a facebook account and I'm THIS close to getting rid of a smart phone... Got my in dash navi fixed in my car, so my phone is becoming even less necessary...

Might just delete what I have now and that's my twitter - than go to the book store tomorrow and cop a few books and read that in my spare time instead of twitter. I'm serious too. Reading the stuff I read on twitter today (and specifically today) really made me understand that America is addicted to social networking and it's a psychological problem. And I'm not really trying to be a part of that. 
I was the one that was always against social networking for myself and my close friends, because some of us we're actually fine without it. Some of my friends have caved into that - a lot of them actually don't want anything to do with social networks. Most who don't though are the ones who are 26 and up. But I definitely understand and appreciate it's purpose for news and updates because that is very practical - but the part where people heavily rely on it has an ego-booster or as a attention-seeking machine is ridiculous. 

I've seen some people with 100,000+ tweets that appear to have been on twitter for less than a year or so. That's when twitter becomes your drug. I may never even read 100,000 tweets in my life. I would like to know when all this stops. Like when does social networking NOT become a daily regimen like when we used to live?

That whole Facebook spying thing is just whole 'nother topic on why all this $#$* is unnecessary 
30t6p3b.gif
I feel you though Seek - I think most of us really underestimate the abilities of what a smartphone can do.

Only place I really post is NT, Never got into FB or Twitter.

A bunch of drama queens, cornballs, and dude's thinking they're doing it on FB. (NO SHOTS)
30t6p3b.gif

MySpace days
pimp.gif
>>>>>

| FoxNews.com

LONDON –  Internet giant Facebook is accessing smartphone users' personal text messages, an investigation revealed Sunday.

Facebook admitted reading text messages belonging to smartphone users who downloaded the social-networking app and said that it was accessing the data as part of a trial to launch its own messaging service, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

Glad I never got the facebook app on my phone
30t6p3b.gif

As for this thread:

I deactivated my fb about 2 months ago and haven't gone back on since.  I get tempted every once-in-a-while when I'm bored, but it'd just make me mad to see the nonsense people are still posting.

Got rid of my myspace a while back.  Stopped using it after high school and they kept sending e-mails so I just deleted it.

I did create a twitter account because someone was posting up PE LeBrons for sale, but I wasn't gonna pay $1000+, so I just never logged back on to twitter.

Not on Twitter, very inactive on FB. I '@' or 'Like' in person.

There are some people in this internet generation that sadly think spending their time on Twitter on FB all day long constitutes social interaction and go to bed at night believing they are living a fulfilling life.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

| FoxNews.com

Glad I never got the facebook app on my phone
30t6p3b.gif
Yea man, that's mad creepy and foul. I'm pretty paranoid about linking/bundling stuff together at once anyway (like internet/tv/phone services), but damn,
that spying is something else.

I'm 26 and I signed up for facebook about 2 years ago. I finally caved after avoiding it all through college. It never caught on with me and I got sick of it quick and ended up never checking it. I gave it another run a couple months ago and I got sick of it again. I would only post when I had awesome news or a Seinfeld-esque moment to share. After a few weeks I felt full of myself because my wall was nothing but humble brags.

I also got tired of how serious people took it. I hit "like" on every comment I made (I always like my own $%$@). Folks have gotten real-life offended by it and have asked me to stop abusing the "like" button. People take it seriously. Because of that, it's not for me. 

Deleted facebook about two years ago. The lulz from other NT'ers are the only reason I still have a twitter.

Back
Top Bottom