How much money do you save per month NT?

Props to you fellas. I'm only doing $100 a month but I'm trying to increase that.

401k is at 10% and company matches 50%

NT show me your ways.
I work a retail job and don't spend outside my means,
but I'm still working paycheck to paycheck. I've got student loans, car note, and some credit card debt I'm managing.

Halp :ohwell:

Not really a set number... but after all my bills, I just put the rest and divide it into my savings.

I also set goals every now and then, for example in April, I set a goal to save $40k in one of my checkings by the end of August.

NT show me your ways.
I work a retail job and don't spend outside my means,
but I'm still working paycheck to paycheck. I've got student loans, car note, and some credit card debt I'm managing.

Halp :ohwell:

Yeah I can't imagine working retail. Would you be able to consider a 2nd job? Did you get a degree out of that student loan debt?

Saving around 550 every paycheck

Going back to school for grad this september so it will drop.

Hopefully i can save around 50% of my annual net income once i graduate

I also set goals every now and then, for example in April, I set a goal to save $40k in one of my checkings by the end of August.

Why in a checking account though?

Unless you are planning to spend that money when you hit that goal, put it in something that will give you a better return.

U guys need to include ur 401k..not separating it from 'cash' you save

Why in a checking account though?

Unless you are planning to spend that money when you hit that goal, put it in something that will give you a better return.

Because that's not for retirement. I'm not trying to see any return or see that money grow in 20 years.

That's strictly for spendings. Vacations (which I travel out of country atleast 4-6x a year), cars or car parts, furnitures... ect.

But if you have suggestions, by all means, I'm all ears.... what would you do with $10k? CDs? High-Yields? Bonds?

Last edited:
U guys need to include ur 401k..not separating it from 'cash' you save
Depends on how I'm looking at things. Since I'm maxing it out I try and forget it in most cases. Just accept that it's a part of my life and something I will do forever at every job going forward.

I don't say I'm saving 1,500$ a month cause I'm maxing out my 401k. It feels somewhat disingenuous.

I get paid every Friday. My checking account is set up to take $150 out every Friday and place it into my savings account, which already takes out a specific amount from my checking every time I swipe my debit card.

I'm thinking about bumping it up to $250 a week if I can afford it. I'm doing this is so that I can hopefully finish my last semester of grad school out of pocket and lessen my student loan debt overall.

The thing is, I will be unemployed during my last semester of grad school because it's intensive and 5 days a week. So the issue is, should I take out a loan just to cover that last semester and use my savings to cover my expenses? I'm still trying to figure that out.

I def need to invest some of my cash sitting in the bank. It's just doing nothing right now

Only $300 a month right now not including my 401k. Once I finish paying off my debt, it'll be somewhere around $1k a month.

Cash sitting for too long is just like spending cash.

Inflation is real.

If the money plans on sitting for a while, definitly look into investment options.

Even if it sits for a few months you can at least put it in a short-term redeamable type of investment or a high yield savings account

I def need to invest some of my cash sitting in the bank. It's just doing nothing right now
In general I don't keep cash. Doesn't make sense to me. You're not beating inflation with cash and you're essentially losing money.

I keep cash for certain purchases. Big purchases i throw it on visa/mastercard.

I dunno what my credit score is but im sure its sum.hectic, always made payments in full.

The way i built it up as a youngin was i was the first one in my hood to get a CC. Everyone would come to me to cop **** online and theyd give me the cash for their purchase (plus a lil sum for my trouble of going to the post office and picking up for them) and id pay my CC off asap. None of it with my own paper, i was actually making money.

Back
Top Bottom