How much you dropping for that engagement ring?

Anyone who wants a mined diamond over a lab is essentially saying they want to spend more to get less, while potentially supporting child labor. I can’t get with that.

This is a bit of a stretch. Getting a lab diamond to save money because you don’t want to overspend is one thing. Pretending it’s the defacto morally superior option is another.

People do a lot of things to save. If lab diamonds, moissanite, glass, and/or CZ help people get a look they couldn’t otherwise afford/justify, then I’m all for it. But it’s a look-alike mined natural diamond.

It’s not difficult to find natural conflict-free diamonds.

Again, there is no different between a lab made diamond and a mined one. You can’t tell a difference because they’re the same thing. The people who grade diamonds say this.

There’s diamonds, and then every thing else. CZ’s, moissanites, etc. aren’t diamonds.

If paying the premium for a mined diamond is worth it to you and your partner, go for it. No one is stopping you.

This is a bit of a stretch. Getting a lab diamond to save money because you don’t want to overspend is one thing. Pretending it’s the defacto morally superior option is another.

People do a lot of things to save. If lab diamonds, moissanite, glass, and/or CZ help people get a look they couldn’t otherwise afford/justify, then I’m all for it. But it’s a look-alike mined natural diamond.

It’s not difficult to find natural conflict-free diamonds.

I don't even trust diamonds that claim to be conflict free. Why risk it when there is a better cheaper alternative that is structurally the same as a mined diamond.

Last edited:
Again, there is no different between a lab made diamond and a mined one. You can’t tell a difference because they’re the same thing. The people who grade diamonds say this.

There’s diamonds, and then every thing else. CZ’s, moissanites, etc. aren’t diamonds.

If paying the premium for a mined diamond is worth it to you and your partner, go for it. No one is stopping you.

If there’s no difference, then why is it that you are distinguishing them? The simple reality is that the natural aspect is part of the value. It’s why lab grown diamonds sell for so cheap and it is why they don’t typically maintain their value as well as natural diamonds.

Personally, I don’t wear diamonds. But I did get my now wife a natural mined diamond (not that it matters). I think people should definitely do what their budget allows. Personally, I’d get another stone to save money over a lab stone, but to each his or her own. At the end of the day, lab diamonds will always seem like trying to look like you have something you don’t (imo).

I don't even trust diamonds that claim to be conflict free. Why risk it when there is a better cheaper alternative that is structurally the same as a mined diamond.

Again, diamonds are a luxury item. The “value,” to the extent any exists, is directly tied to them naturally occurring. A large lab diamond is not going to give off “I got a conflict-free stone for the low.” It’s going to give off I got a big (seemingly expensive) mined diamond.

If there’s no difference, then why is it that you are distinguishing them? The simple reality is that the natural aspect is part of the value. It’s why lab grown diamonds sell for so cheap and it is why they don’t typically maintain their value as well as natural diamonds.

Personally, I don’t wear diamonds. But I did get my now wife a natural mined diamond (not that it matters). I think people should definitely do what their budget allows. Personally, I’d get another stone to save money over a lab stone, but to each his or her own. At the end of the day, lab diamonds will always seem like trying to look like you have something you don’t (imo).

Again, diamonds are a luxury item. The “value,” to the extent any exists, is directly tied to them naturally occurring. A large lab diamond is not going to give off “I got a conflict-free stone for the low.” It’s going to give off I got a big (seemingly expensive) mined diamond.

From a scientific standpoint it's literally the same thing. Diamonds are also not as rare as they are made out to be. If you want to waste money paying for mined ones that's on you.

From a scientific standpoint it's literally the same thing. Diamonds are also not as rare as they are made out to be. If you want to waste money paying for mined ones that's on you.
You're not paying for luxury you're just paying for additional labor it takes to mine them. :rofl:

Diamonds are a luxury item. They are a waste of money (lab or mined) outside of the perceived value. It’s a rock.

Folks aren’t paying for the scientific aspect of diamonds, they are paying for the perceived scarcity and natural occurrence. No different than overpriced sneakers on StockX. Of course, you can get non-authentic shoes that are “scientifically” the same as the authentic ones. People may not know the difference. It is what it is.

If you want to waste money on lab or mined diamonds it’s on you. One will hold its value better. And if it’s a brand it might retain it even more (Cartier, etc.)

Diamonds are a luxury item. They are a waste of money (lab or mined) outside of the perceived value. It’s a rock.

Folks aren’t paying for the scientific aspect of diamonds, they are paying for the perceived scarcity and natural occurrence. No different than overpriced sneakers on StockX. Of course, you can get non-authentic shoes that are “scientifically” the same as the authentic ones. People may not know the difference. It is what it is.

If you want to waste money on lab or mined diamonds it’s on you. One will hold its value better. And if it’s a brand it might retain it even more (Cartier, etc.)

I'm not paying for extra labor. If I'm getting a piece of rock I want it to look as big as possible for as cheap as possible.

No one asked my wife where her diamond is from. She just gets compliments on it.

I just got her a nice set of 2 carat ear rings that are lab created. They look dope.

Probably gonna be terrible advice for some people but

I opened up a credit card to pay for a ring. Took advantage of the 0% interest and bonus points that came with it. Took a big bit to my credit because I damn near maxed out that card.

I was able to pay it off during the 0% interest period (Obviously had to use my annual bonus to help take a chunk out). Doing all this actually helped my credit score by teaching me finanacial responsibilities. I remember starting out at 500 something and now I’m almost at 800. Was able to buy a house on my own.

If you are wondering. Ring was 10 racks.

:lol:

52CA27A8-6294-4945-A158-802CF718EB8C.jpeg

Probably gonna be terrible advice for some people but

I opened up a credit card to pay for a ring. Took advantage of the 0% interest and bonus points that came with it. Took a big bit to my credit because I damn near maxed out that card.

I was able to pay it off during the 0% interest period (Obviously had to use my annual bonus to help take a chunk out). Doing all this actually helped my credit score by teaching me finanacial responsibilities. I remember starting out at 500 something and now I’m almost at 800. Was able to buy a house on my own.

If you are wondering. Ring was 10 racks.

Damn 10? You remember the specs on the diamond?
Starting to look soon and tryna stay under 8k to be honest, looking roughski.

Damn 10? You remember the specs on the diamond?
Starting to look soon and tryna stay under 8k to be honest, looking roughski.
I know people will clown me cause it wasn’t even a carat.

It was just under 1 carat. 18k yellow gold. I can’t remember if it’s VVS2 or VS1. I have all the GIA certs.

The reason it was 10 racks cause it was some Japanese
Designer that I don’t know of. But it was what my wife wanted.

I attached a photo from the website. To show how it looks. But I got it in yellow gold.
8D44FEBA-CFDC-4FDA-8837-A1AD4AE7AA59.jpeg

I know people will clown me cause it wasn’t even a carat.

It was just under 1 carat. 18k yellow gold. I can’t remember if it’s VVS2 or VS1. I have all the GIA certs.

The reason it was 10 racks cause it was some Japanese
Designer that I don’t know of. But it was what my wife wanted.

I attached a photo from the website. To show how it looks. But I got it in yellow gold.
8D44FEBA-CFDC-4FDA-8837-A1AD4AE7AA59.jpeg

Appreciate the info bro. Congrats too.

Update

I went with James Allen. In total the ring came to $5000. I got a 1.5 carat lab diamond, VS1 clarity, D color. Ring was a half size too big, so we're getting it resized for free.

She loves it. Would recommend. Happy shopping my friends :smile:

Update

I went with James Allen. In total the ring came to $5000. I got a 1.5 carat lab diamond, VS1 clarity, D color. Ring was a half size too big, so we're getting it resized for free.

She loves it. Would recommend. Happy shopping my friends :smile:
Congrats fam! Such an exciting time!!

It'll have to be more than my own rings :lol:
I imagine it wouldn't go down well to spend less on an engagement ring than my own

My diamonds are 'real' but I think it's silly for people to look down on lab made ones. At the end of the day it's just a mineral that isn't actually rare, its price is artificially inflated by a select few companies. Nobody besides jewelry elitists cares whether your diamonds came from some dusty mine or a lab.

Went and picked out my wedding band recently. It's such a simple process compared to when I got her engagement ring :lol: was in and out in less than an hour. Meanwhile it took me 2 years to find the damn one she wanted :smh: :lol:

I spent 1.5K at Jared. Rose Gold pear shaped blue Sapphire surrounded by small diamonds. Spent 60 bucks on a couple rubber groove rings for myself.

I think people forget about the wedding bands as an extra thing you need to think about. I was more excited for my wedding band tbh. Which I love and I wear both my rings on a daily. My husbands ring is so damn heavy lol

As for pricing, I wouldn't go too much out of your means, you still have a wedding to pay for. The usual consensus when I was getting ready for my purchase was last three pay checks.

Back
Top Bottom