How Would YOU Feel If Your Wife Didnt Take Your Last Name And.....

I have a hyphenated last name and I actually appreciate it because I feel like it shows that I'm a product
of both my mom and dad. Like when I get certificates and stuff I like knowing that my mom is getting props also.

The only problem I can see is that I'd like my children to take my last name
as well as their mothers, but that means they would have at least 3 parts to their last name.
And if they decide to do the same for their children, you see why It's might become a problem
laugh.gif

I know 2 couples that are like this; the guys in both relationships are a little ticked off but they keep it mostly private.

Myself, it was discussed with my wife before we got married; she loves my surname so it wasn't a problem

Had she taken the hyphenation route - our son would be up at the chalkboard in preschool or JK for a looong while if he had to print out his name, poor guy.

To be honest not a fan of hyphenated names, some can be tricky.

I'd have a problem. Thats like sayin we're not even gonna be married for long so I might as well keep my name for when we get divorced

I'd have a problem. I actually DID have a problem, wifey tried to bring it up all casually but i made it clear... NOT a possibility.

She didnt get it, i didnt care. Said it wasnt happening. Her father and brother told her to stop being silly as well.

She fell in line. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Wedding would be called off.

Basically. A woman should take pride in taking her husbands name, and if she doesn't there's a problem with that.

I understand if you're famous or your name is famous and you do the hyphenated thing, otherwise if you don't take his name, you are a sack of crap of a human.

I frankly didn't care. I was actually the one who brought it up with my fiancee, and asked which she preferred. Even though it's a giant PITA to get all those documents/IDs changed over, she's cool with taking my name. Her family actually preferred it since they're traditional like that. Our kids would've had my name anyways.

But I know a few (female) friends who kept their name to not go through all that paperwork & take time off to line-up at the government offices, etc.

Originally Posted by Janitor

But I know a few (female) friends who kept their name to not go through all that paperwork & take time off to line-up at the government offices, etc.
Thats gotta be the lamest possible excuse.
Real talk, if i was gonna marry a chick and for some reason hadnt realized she was THAT lazy yet...that would do it for me. I couldnt marry someone like that. 

We don't do that in my culture, I won't allow her to even if she wanted to. However, my kids will take my last name, and only my last name.

It would only be acceptable if she was established in an important field and her name was recognizable. Wouldn't want to damage her brand (word to Harrison Barnes)

Any other scenario and she's taking my name and signing the pre-nup

I will be real, I would have a problem with it then I would ask myself why. Then I would realize that I don't know why I would have a problem with it. Then I would realize that I shouldn't have a problem with it. It is just a name. So I say, I don't care.
Originally Posted by Lou Baton

If she is an established professional and keeps her maiden name for work it's understandable. Other than that my personal opinion is that she isn't confident in the relationship or not wholeheartedly into it so why go to the trouble of changing her name if it may not last.
Crazy logic. So because she doesn't take your name that means she isn't confident it will last? Please put 2 and 2 together for me because I am not understanding how that makes sense. 

Originally Posted by Janitor

I frankly didn't care. I was actually the one who brought it up with my fiancee, and asked which she preferred. Even though it's a giant PITA to get all those documents/IDs changed over, she's cool with taking my name. Her family actually preferred it since they're traditional like that. Our kids would've had my name anyways.

That is by far the laziest excuse I've ever heard.

Who cares? In Catalan/Spanish culture the wife keeps her last names (dad's first last name+mom's first last name, it's confusing if you're not familiar with the culture 
laugh.gif
). Not a big deal at all. Plus I know some dudes with horrendous last names which would create comedy if combined with their girls' first names 
laugh.gif

Oh yeah I forgot to say and this is something that should be on the first page but if you're in a serious relationship that is leading up to marriage it should have already been discussed if she was going to take your last name before you ever proposed to her.

I mean I've smashed girls for a few weeks that have played around with the idea of taking my last name and not taking it and saying why. I really don't see why that issue wouldn't be settled and why the guy wouldn't have his answer on if she's taking the name or not before he proposed.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Oh yeah I forgot to say and this is something that should be on the first page but if you're in a serious relationship that is leading up to marriage it should have already been discussed if she was going to take your last name before you ever proposed to her.

I mean I've smashed girls for a few weeks that have played around with the idea of taking my last name and not taking it and saying why. I really don't see why that issue wouldn't be settled and why the guy wouldn't have his answer on if she's taking the name or not before he proposed.
Now my question is if this is seriously a marriage deal breaker for some of you? And why?

Originally Posted by oillusiveo

2 pages and so comments on "insalted"??
laugh.gif
I figure he'd try to spin it on the person being salty

The title doesn't even make sense when you read the OP because of the "And..." part anyway.
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Now my question is if this is seriously a marriage deal breaker for some of you? And why?
Well personally I don't see myself ever getting married, that's why in my initial post I said I don't know how I'd feel about it. For dudes who say it's a deal breaker, I figure it comes down to them being too prideful and I'm not a fan of pride at all or the ignorant response that it's tradition so if I ever was faced with that situation I imagine if it was a deal breaker for me I'd have a better reason that made sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom