How Would YOU Feel If Your Wife Didnt Take Your Last Name And.....

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by toast1985

Very interesting topic for me. I'm basically an Nigerian-American male, raises by an African-American Mother. So I've always identified with American culture, however my first and last name is Nigerian. So unless I marry a Nigerian, its going to be tough for her to deal with. My girl now has already expressed her displeasure with this. Not too sure how easy its going to be for a random Erica, Jasmine, or Tonya to accept "Ashiboga"
laugh.gif
, or something of the sort

i'd have no problems w/it
happy.gif

Nudes sent, check pm.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Very interesting topic for me. I'm basically an Nigerian-American male, raises by an African-American Mother. So I've always identified with American culture, however my first and last name is Nigerian. So unless I marry a Nigerian, its going to be tough for her to deal with. My girl now has already expressed her displeasure with this. Not too sure how easy its going to be for a random Erica, Jasmine, or Tonya to accept "Ashiboga"
laugh.gif
, or something of the sort

i'd have no problems w/it
happy.gif
Nudes sent, check pm.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by mkc1983

We don't do that in my culture, I won't allow her to even if she wanted to. However, my kids will take my last name, and only my last name.
EDIT: NVM
What culture is this might I ask? (I legit have never heard of this, sounds interesting.)  Is it the same culture as Iron Chef?
Originally Posted by IronChef

in my culture the wives keep their last name, but since we are both living in the US I've thought about having her change it...just seems like a pain to change all our paperwork

no offense to anyone but hyphenated names are emasculating especially when passed off to the child
isnt it like this in Iberian/Iberian derived cultures?:

Woman: Carmen Cruz Moreno + Man: Juan Velazquez Ramirez = Woman: Carmen Cruz Moreno (de Ramirez)/Carmen Moreno Ramirez, Man: Juan Velazquez Ramirez, Child(ren): Javier Moreno Ramirez/ Ana Moreno Ramirez

Originally Posted by Janitor

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I will be real, I would have a problem with it then I would ask myself why. Then I would realize that I don't know why I would have a problem with it. Then I would realize that I shouldn't have a problem with it. It is just a name. So I say, I don't care.
That's some good honesty right there.

I seriously don't see why so many people are throwing a fit over this, saying they'd end the relationship/wouldn't get married and all that nonsense. How about the focus be on the relationship itself, and not stew over some petty @!+%%$*!? If something as small as what name your wife goes by is an absolute deal-breaker, maybe the two of you shouldn't be married in the first place.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by ricky409

Wait a min...

Did homey say insalted?

Is that a word?

It's only 1 letter off, he probably missed the "u"

aight then.... just making sure... i'm studying for this GMAT and PISSING PEOPLE OFF left and right b/c i stay correcting speech...
gotta get ready for that sentence correction portion...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

#%@! tradition...Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.  I kind of made a big deal about having my wife change her name, we even bought a name change kit, but time went on, we never got around to doing it, and I kind of stopped caring.  I wouldn't want to change my name, so why should I expect it of her?  Maybe some day we'll get around to it, but honestly, I don't lose a lot of sleep over it. 
It actually makes dealing with telemarketers kind of fun.  The phone is under my wife's last name, Conner.  We routinely get calls for her, and I'll say she isn't available.  "Is this Mr. Conner?"  "Nobody lives here by that name."  "Is this her husband?"  "Yes."  "Hi Mr. Conner, would you be interested..." "Nobody lives here by that name."  After that they usually just get too confused and tell me to have a nice day.

Not really sure how I would feel.

My mother never took my father's last name. I think it may be normal in their culture (they are Ghanainan). 

I'll ask them.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Hyphenated names are super weak.
laugh.gif

To be honest, I really dont know how I'd feel. Probably the same way she would feel about the prenuptial agreement.
BOOM!

That is not an option for mine. and damn a hyphen, it's all or nothing!

I wouldn't care really as long as she ain't trippin cause i'm gonna need that prenup signed! lol

Back
Top Bottom