HypeBeasts!

Originally Posted by VietStar

I've stopped caring for the newer releases for a few years now...just trying to get a few pairs here and there that I find for cheap. I guess more of the hype started coming from celebrities wearing the kicks, and the public just caught on.
Honestly though, knowing the history of shoes is something you should just keep to yourself and appreciate for what it is. It shouldn't be something to prove to others that you're a "sneakerhead"...like any random kid can be "sneakerologists" overnight and tell you all the
facts and stuff you want to know about sneakers simply by googling for a
few seconds. I'm not gonna go around and chat up with people and be like "Yeah man, the Jordan 6s are heat. Michael Jordan wore this model when he won his first championship in 1991 and they were designed by the great Tinker Hatfield with a retail price 125." Also, not wearing certain shoes simply because you're not the only with them is kind of silly to me. At the end of the day, shoes are just...shoes, and it's mindblown to see people get all hyped up and crazy to the point of injuries and killings happening over pieces of rubber and leather that were manufactured by kids in Asia for less than $10
ohwell.gif

all true, i still love to talk sneakers but the internet has totally changed the meaning of 'knowledge' such that the facts are less meaningful...context is being lost. the great part is that we are all connected but we are losing more & more of that "localness' of style & taste as we get more global...

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

CoolGrayMemo said:
Originally Posted by retrospect90

I find it a waste to spend over 200 for a pair of shoes. I'm broke though, so what would I know.

Same applies to me. 
I wear my $50 Vans much more than I wear a pair of $300 Jordans.

Same here. I find the quality of Vans sneakers far greater than JB quality from the leather to the craftsmanship. Only the $100+ up Vans though. Yea it don't hold the limelight as Jordans, but idk what people think of what wear on my feet.

i find the quality complaints to be super overwrought, this is not to say that quality of jordans aren't lacking some, i just think it way overblown. as well as that it is apple to oranges anyway, vans are GENERALLY simple sneakers with a few pieces that have been in production for quite a while...jordans & athletic sneakers in general are a few steps up in complexity and haven't been in continuous production for as long (there are probably made in totally different types of factories as well)

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

Originally Posted by presequel

if you were 18 or so in 08...well then damb i feel old.

and others have prob said it, but if you don't think your era was hyped, you're wrong. that was just as hyped if not more. it was hyped in 04-06 too.

generation goes and comes, the hype just transitions.

Truth.

ITT: pretentious "sneakerheads"

I dunno famb... I was IN THE MIDDLE of it... working at sharpstown fooaction from 07-09 and it wasn't even close to how it is now...

the only thing that's has really changed is access (this has prolly changed the most, it used to be relatively few people were even WILLING to spend $125+ for sneakers) & awareness...the hype has ebbs & flows to it, there prolly have been various points over the last 20-25 years where you might be able to make an argument that the 'hype' was just as great if not greater relative to the time...

I'm pretty sure "sneakerheads" ruined the sneaker game. Considering that "we" are the ones out here camping for shoes, at the end of the day it becomes much harder for the average person to acquire a pair of Jordans. So now you're stuck with all these other people camping trying to get a pair, and you're giving resellers a market and a target audience: People who werent able to cop at the store

laugh.gif
at thinking the hypebeasts just came out with in the last 2 years.

I'm 30 and I've been collecting sneakers since I was in the 6th Grade, I think i stopped in 2008. It's been around for a while. I think the real hype started with the Nike SB's with Heineken's and Unkles. Other than QS and HS releases. Around 1999-2002 when the this batch of retros released (Jordan 'face' boxes) they sat on the shelves for weeks. I remember buying 2 pairs of Olympic VII's for 39.99 at Finish Line here in San Diego.

I grew up with a group of friends who was into this "hobby". When I was in HS, we used to skip classes just to buy the new jays and rock them at school after lunch (1996-2000). Correct me if I'm wrong but back them Jay's used to release on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I even used to get made fun of growing up until the early 2000's, dudes talking about how I have so many pairs of sneakers.

Now, this whole thing turned to a business. It's been bastardized by resellers, hypebeasts and sneaker collectors. From Sneaker events, stupid $#@ Sole Collector Magazine, the other website, its all trash now. I'm actually embarrassed to be associated with this now. I have about just a little over 100 pairs left and probably going to cut down to about 20-30 pairs by the end of this year. The hardest thing really is letting go and selling them.

I blame Nike SB x Collaboration with anyone, Steve and that Sole Sickeness guy

Originally Posted by solarius49

I'm pretty sure "sneakerheads" ruined the sneaker game. Considering that "we" are the ones out here camping for shoes, at the end of the day it becomes much harder for the average person to acquire a pair of Jordans. So now you're stuck with all these other people camping trying to get a pair, and you're giving resellers a market and a target audience: People who werent able to cop at the store
I highly doubt that.  There were really no camp outs until the being a "sneaker head" became commercialized and stupid limited QS Nike SB's.  I don't even remember how it started or how it became the "cool" thing to do. 
30t6p3b.gif

Honestly, I'm not even mad and I can't even hate.  Resellers are just trying to make money, can't knock on their hustle.  

Tryna get sneakers now a days is like a crapshoot with the online and waiting on line for shoes

I dont even buy sneakers that often so when I finally wanna cop something it sucks that I probably won't be able to get em

lol.. its not even just jordans... the iverson questions dropped and i couldnt even get a pair... i just buy AM's now...

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

laugh.gif
at thinking the hypebeasts just came out with in the last 2 years.

I'm 30 and I've been collecting sneakers since I was in the 6th Grade, I think i stopped in 2008. It's been around for a while. I think the real hype started with the Nike SB's with Heineken's and Unkles. Other than QS and HS releases. Around 1999-2002 when the this batch of retros released (Jordan 'face' boxes) they sat on the shelves for weeks. I remember buying 2 pairs of Olympic VII's for 39.99 at Finish Line here in San Diego.

I grew up with a group of friends who was into this "hobby". When I was in HS, we used to skip classes just to buy the new jays and rock them at school after lunch (1996-2000). Correct me if I'm wrong but back them Jay's used to release on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I even used to get made fun of growing up until the early 2000's, dudes talking about how I have so many pairs of sneakers.

Now, this whole thing turned to a business. It's been bastardized by resellers, hypebeasts and sneaker collectors. From Sneaker events, stupid $#@ Sole Collector Magazine, the other website, its all trash now. I'm actually embarrassed to be associated with this now. I have about just a little over 100 pairs left and probably going to cut down to about 20-30 pairs by the end of this year. The hardest thing really is letting go and selling them.

I blame Nike SB x Collaboration with anyone, Steve and that Sole Sickeness guy

Originally Posted by solarius49

I highly doubt that.  There were really no camp outs until the being a "sneaker head" became commercialized and stupid limited QS Nike SB's.  I don't even remember how it started or how it became the "cool" thing to do. 
30t6p3b.gif

Honestly, I'm not even mad and I can't even hate.  Resellers are just trying to make money, can't knock on their hustle.  
Maybe not on the same level, but I consider showing up hours before a store opens to wait in line for some kicks "camping out", and thats been happening for awhile now and has nothing to do with SBs

Honestly...I can sense its starting to get wack.

There will be a moment when cats look around and see everybody doing the same thing, so something will pop up different that gets things moving. Just like the Bape/Ice Cream era.

IMHO...i see somebody with flint 12s and whatnot and I just shrug. Dont get that same feeling. Ill always stick with my 1s, 3-6...but everything else is wack to me now...save the Olive 9s coming out this year. And thats only bc they are rare. Bordeaux 7s and playoff 13s. A year from now...they'll probably get a shrug too. And I only mess with a Lebron 8s and Swingman 9s. Thats it...save the Lebron bred 2s...I dont mess with none of it.

I used to think it was impossible for 11s to look wack...but only the space jams look kinda cool to me now. The others look wack except when a fine !!$ chick wears them.

I effs with the Yeezy 2s...

Now its just simple high end for me. Yall can miss me with everything else.

Meh.

I remember even as recent as 2007-2010 I could go to my Footlocker, and get retro Jordans for as low as $60.

Just buy what you like and don't worry so much about other people. I think people are just bitter that their "hobby" has been discovered. 

It's just a phase.

I'm layin, waiting for the price of the 180s to get close to retail. Wife wouldn't let me cop bc I just bought the Obsidians
laugh.gif
Been trying to get my hands on a pair since this one NTer flaked on me a few years ago.

Do y'all think the hype train would roll if they retroed some 17s?

If not...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

man i remember 2-3 years ago jordans were sitting on the shelves, their marketing team was like man we need money and started rolling out the shoes for the kids to eat up... of course they want the 17's them youngsters didnt know nothing about the CDP

Originally Posted by KMante

Meh.

I remember even as recent as 2007-2010 I could go to my Footlocker, and get retro Jordans for as low as $60.

Just buy what you like and don't worry so much about other people. I think people are just bitter that their "hobby" has been discovered. 

It's just a phase.
i wouldnt call it a hobby, i was working for foot locker the time and it was like a drought man, i think it was nike marketing team realizing they needed to drop more nice shoes, because them ugly +*! retros 1's and them orange and grey 8's, nobody wasnt really looking into jordans because they was release retro + colorways and i think they was experimenting  cause it was like every 1 month they dropped now its like 1 every 2 weeks so its all about the money, thats why im out the game

Meh.

It's just a phase.

Yup. I mean if I could get Jays below retail only a couple years ago, It'd be crazy to think people are buying ABOVE retail for a pair of Jays... I'll wait till their on clearance shelves again. Everything has a phase.

Originally Posted by tbeats

If not...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

man i remember 2-3 years ago jordans were sitting on the shelves, their marketing team was like man we need money and started rolling out the shoes for the kids to eat up... of course they want the 17's them youngsters didnt know nothing about the CDP

frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

Tryna get sneakers now a days is like a crapshoot with the online and waiting on line for shoes

I dont even buy sneakers that often so when I finally wanna cop something it sucks that I probably won't be able to get em

this
luckily I was able to get my Cement 4's pretty easily because that is the only real pair of "hyped" shoes I wanted 

besides that I rock Kostons and Air Max retros 

So we gonna complaint about this every release?....thought people would start getting used to this....if you really want the shoe, accept that its gonna run you about 80$ over retail which is what a "reasonable" reseller like 23penny and some other guys are charging and it'll guarantee you a pair without camping or jumping through hurdles.

Originally Posted by tbeats

Meh.

It's just a phase.
i wouldnt call it a hobby, i was working for foot locker the time and it was like a drought man, i think it was nike marketing team realizing they needed to drop more nice shoes, because them ugly +*! retros 1's and them orange and grey 8's, nobody wasnt really looking into jordans because they was release retro + colorways and i think they was experimenting  cause it was like every 1 month they dropped now its like 1 every 2 weeks so its all about the money, thats why im out the game
I personally don't think it's a hobby at all. I just buy shoes that I like, and wear them as much as I can, but I definitely do not believe that it is a game.

If not... 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Personally, probably not, but it depends on the price tag that they slap on it. I want some XVI and XVII pretty badly!

Back
Top Bottom