I’m having a hard time doing this on my own…

Besides the cliche “make more money” there is plenty of ways. You just have to change your lifestyle which is a huge mental toll. If you can, get ahold of a therapist to help you in accepting an optimal lifestyle. They’ll get you there faster if you don’t want to learn it the long, hard way.

Obviously you have the necessary bills, so anything that has your bankroll tied in to routine withdrawal, you’ll always have to have that money on standby. The other necessities like groceries, leisurely spending; you’ll have to assess those spendings and understand which you can reduce while living optimal.

For example, do I need these pair of shoes? or am I good off of the 50 pairs I’ve accumulated over the years? Lol this is a quick example because I’m projecting, and this is also a shoe forum so I’m sure many can relate.

I do 3 home fresh meals a week for my wife and I. It's typically about 75 bucks a week.

The three meals part cracked me up. Is there any reason you settled on that number? I asked because I don't cook and my ex-Gf always vehemently said "We can't get engaged until you learn how to cook three meals" and I was just like

the-office-jim-yeah-right-er8jrl6xpn3wqqr7.gif

The three meals part cracked me up. Is there any reason you settled on that number? I asked because I don't cook and my ex-Gf always vehemently said "We can't get engaged until you learn how to cook three meals" and I was just like

You still love her dont you

Why are you guys door dashing etc ?
Thats soooo expensive.

Its even more expensive than eating out everyday which broke ppl shouldnt be doing.

Food is usually the culprit in a lot of people budget.

and with all these horror stories of them being disrespectful with your meal... nah fam

How much do y'all think 100k is net? Doesn't take as far as it used to in any real way without stipulations like "if you're single, no debt and are facing the sun at 30 degrees".

Yea its like 70k actually

I look at paycheck calculators regularly when I am hiring for different locations to account for local taxes in offers/expectations. Off the top of my head, $100K is going to get a few points under 20% taken for federal taxes then the obligatory 7.65% for FICA so let's say roughly 25%.

State income tax (and local if you're unlucky) can be killers too an additional 5-11% total depending on where you live so that's $65-70K take home. 30-35% just gone.

As a public school teacher unless you have kids I don’t see how you’re not good off 70k net a year.

All y’all live in NYC or LA?

come to Houston and you’ll be good off 70

if you got kids, good luck.

Even at six figs, I’m likely living no better than you since it’s expensive af out here. It’s the equivalent of making $70k in Houston.

And that's what i'm saying, folks keep adding stipulations to make it work like "no kids". To be clear, it can all and has been made to work, but when you add real people issues like kids, debt, cost of living, healthcare, aging parents etc etc it gets a little tighter.

Nevermind trying to get a house.

And that's what i'm saying, folks keep adding stipulations to make it work like "no kids". To be clear, it can all and has been made to work, but when you add real people issues like kids, debt, cost of living, healthcare, aging parents etc etc it gets a little tighter.

Nevermind trying to get a house.

I agree with you. Like most things, this is actually a pretty nuanced discussion and there is some context missing from OP and everyone who replies has a different POV based on profession, age, lifestyle, location and probably some other critical factors.

kingkoopa kingkoopa Best advice without any numbers is to cut out ordering food and instead make low cost meals. Also stop tricking/drinking/partying. That should easily save a couple hundred per month.

You can probably cut down on non-essential purchases too since you won’t be going out as much too.

Look into your subscriptions as well and cut out what you don’t use or downgrade if you have premium (you’ll have more time so you can afford to watch commercials). Maybe restructure your cable/internet/cellular packages as well.

Hey fam.

I think we settled because we still have a really active lifestyle due to our son and his sports schedule (which is crazy cuz he's only 6). It's pretty common for us to have 2-3 practices a week and although id love to cook at home everyday sometimes it's easier to eat out since practice can end relatively late.

I've done weeks where I ordered more than 3 and often times it feels like a force trying to get that forth meal in. I'd rather play it by ear in that situation and just make something on the go. It's not uncommon for us to do a frozen pizza on busier nights as well.

I got married last year and couldnt cook more than 3 or four dishes. It wasn't an issue til my wife went out of town for a couple days and I was starving. I am very budget conscience so I immediately signed up for Home Chef to prevent that from ever happenekng. Now I probably cook 3 to 4 different dishes a week.

Here's what I made tonight:

What I ordered:
20230714_192021.jpg

What I made
20230714_192012.jpg

Cook time was roughly 35 mins.

Yea the cost of living is always on the rise and our salaries aren't moving at the same rate.

Your spending habits have to be taken into consideration for sure.

But this general statement of 100k ain't much unless you live on a farm is a partial truth for sure. I see this repeated a lot.

^ everything in NJ is expensive but you can definitely live off 100k... now if you have a family thats a different story but someone single should be ok...a lot depends on your lifestyle too as far as spending habits...

It’s a lot of cities where you can get a lot for 100k.

Personally I don’t want y’all relocating to them and running up prices for us more than they already have tbh.

I also want WFH to be completely eradicated.

PM me if you want a link to 40 off DD group. 25-40 subtotals. No fees, tips etc.

Back
Top Bottom