I almost got scammed/identity stolen today. Vol. Beware, it's pretty easy nowadays

I got a letter from "AT&T" today. It was in an envelope that had the official AT&T logo addressed to my house with my first and last name. Itexplained that someone in Florida had tried to use my name to set up an account and in order to straighten things out, I had to to call them and they would fixthe issue. I call and while I'm on the phone, something just tells me it isn't right. She said The person tried to set up the account using this socialsecurity number; is this your social security number?" This is when I got hesitant, told her to hold on and hung up. I then did some research on thenumber that I dialed and found out that it is indeed a scam and they use that to get your info and to confirm a social security number attached to your namethat they had found somewhere else.

I think that they obtained it because I was filling some job applications that I had found on craigslist and one of them must have been fake. Either that orthere is a key-logger installed on my computer. I really hope it isn't that. Thankfully, I don't use my real social security number when doing onlineapplications so the number they had asked me to verify was false. Nevertheless I don't want anyone to have my name and address. I called Equifax and theytold me that my name is now being watched for fraudulent activity and if anyone tries to start anything with my name, I'll be notified. They will also besending me a credit score next week. They asked me to sign up for the Equifax ID protection which for 15 dollars a month, I can find out any previous activitythat may have been fraud and fix it. I think I'm going to sign up tomorrow.

Beware of a letter like this:

2exarso.jpg

The ironic thing is the letter says they're trying to protect me from fraud.

If anything or anybody asks for your SSN, beware.

Seriously. It's pretty much the tell-tale warning sign of a scam. VERY few official documents need a complete version of your SSN (and most of those willbe from indispensable government agencies and their services).

It's a good idea to always hesitate if someone asks you for your SSN, under any/all circumstances.

Yeah of course. She didn't exactly say "What is your SSN?" She said "this is the SSN they used to sign up, is this correct?"

I do have verizon service though and they have asked me to confirm the last four digits of my dad's SSN before on legit phone calls but that's adifferent story. I'm glad this whole thing happened because now I know that someone was trying to use my name for stuff and I can stop any future activity.

I only took a picture of the text. Above it is the AT&T logo and the address to the AT&T Global Fraud Management Center.

it looks like a photocopy! but damn, these scams wifey had to change convenience card and pin# 3 times within the month because of fraudulent activities, sonow all she uses is her credit card and just pays it off, afterwards..

Back
Top Bottom