I can't get a job because of my long hair?

Well, I had an interview and they were saying how I would have to cut my hair in order for me to work there. That would be the only way they would hire me, butI think it's ridiculous that they can choose to hire me based on the length of my hair. Isn't that discrimination? For me not to get a job just becausemy hair is longer than someone elses. I don't understand how this is any different from judging someone strictly on what they see on the outside, my hairdoesn't affect my work habits or anything of that matter. I thought it was time to get past discrimination of all sorts no matter it being my race, gender,etc. For the record as well, my hair isn't messy or anything at all, it is straight and neat. Is there anyway I can fight this or something?

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Well, I had an interview and they were saying how I would have to cut my hair in order for me to work there. That would be the only way they would hire me, but I think it's ridiculous that they can choose to hire me based on the length of my hair. Isn't that discrimination? For me not to get a job just because my hair is longer than someone elses. I don't understand how this is any different from judging someone strictly on what they see on the outside, my hair doesn't affect my work habits or anything of that matter. I thought it was time to get past discrimination of all sorts no matter it being my race, gender, etc. For the record as well, my hair isn't messy or anything at all, it is straight and neat. Is there anyway I can fight this or something?
smh.gif
eyes.gif
alien.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif

are u in high school?

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on.Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

I wouldn't hire you either.

Having a job isn't a right, it is a privilege. They're paying you money, so you should listen to what they say.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on. Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

so if you get hit in the face with an ice pack and your hairline is jacked up because of it, they can choose not to hire you???
nerd.gif

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on. Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

this. and its nothing personal, all about the bottom line. businesses dont have time to waste on discrimination all their decisions are based off the abilityto make money.

# Employers must reasonably accommodate employees' sincerely held religious practices unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the employer. Areasonable religious accommodation is any adjustment to the work environment that will allow the employee to practice his religion. An employer mightaccommodate an employee's religious beliefs or practices by allowing: flexible scheduling, voluntary substitutions or swaps, job reassignments and lateraltransfers, modification of grooming requirements and other workplace practices, policies and/or procedures.

# An employer is not required to accommodate an employee's religious beliefs and practices if doing so would impose an undue hardship on the employers'legitimate business interests. An employer can show undue hardship if accommodating an employee's religious practices requires more than ordinaryadministrative costs, diminishes efficiency in other jobs, infringes on other employees' job rights or benefits, impairs workplace safety, causesco-workers to carry the accommodated employee's share of potentially hazardous or burdensome work, or if the proposed accommodation conflicts with anotherlaw or regulation.

claim religious reasons ?

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

so if you get hit in the face with an ice pack and your hairline is jacked up because of it, they can choose not to hire you???
nerd.gif
You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on.
Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

nerd.gif
ice_packs_250x251.jpg

Originally Posted by doosta45

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on.
Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

nerd.gif
ice_packs_250x251.jpg
lmao i meant ice PICK

and I dont see how thats apples and oranges, its obviously appearance, and even hair

What kind of job is it?

A couple years ago, I had long hair and went to a couple job interviews. Although I killed the interviews, I never got a call back. Guess why?

nerd.gif
Nobody gives a damn about your hairline. You missed the point.

Is there anyway I can fight this or something?

Is there any way you can get access to some scissors and well, i dont know, cut it?

Originally Posted by Yeezy St Laurent

What kind of job is it?

A couple years ago, I had long hair and went to a couple job interviews. Although I killed the interviews, I never got a call back. Guess why?
exactly, i got a job back in 10th grade at vons in a white neighborhood and i had a fro going on. a week later they said to either cut it or givethem back the apron. i cut the fro, but they fired me 2 weeks later
indifferent.gif

Your decision. I have a 1 inch beard, I'm not cutting it for any job unless they're talking big bucks. It has never been a problem for me, but if itcame down to it, I don't cut my facial hair for anyone; Unless they are offering considerably more than I make now

Back
Top Bottom