I can't get a job because of my long hair?

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

well if its for a religious reason, then what?

...then he would have said it was for religious reasons.....
so when the employer brings it up, you say its for a religious reason... what are they gonna do? prove its not? Im just saying this is such a dumbconcept.

Im growing my hair out, and it actually is one of my beliefs that now that I am where I am in life I grow my hair out, and Im only going to shave it when afamily member or close friend dies. If I say that to a potential employer, can they just deny me the job and come up with some other bs excuse for it?

dendanskesimon wrote:

so when the employer brings it up, you say its for a religious reason... what are they gonna do? prove its not? Im just saying this is such a dumb concept.

Im growing my hair out, and it actually is one of my beliefs that now that I am where I am in life I grow my hair out, and Im only going to shave it when a family member or close friend dies. If I say that to a potential employer, can they just deny me the job and come up with some other bs excuse for it?

Buddhist?

so when the employer brings it up, you say its for a religious reason... what are they gonna do? prove its not? Im just saying this is such a dumb concept.

Im growing my hair out, and it actually is one of my beliefs that now that I am where I am in life I grow my hair out, and Im only going to shave it when a family member or close friend dies. If I say that to a potential employer, can they just deny me the job and come up with some other bs excuse for it?
They dont have to prove #@!@. YOU have to prove that its for religious reasons. Good luck proving something like that if it isnt already thecase. Theyre hiring you, theyre not going to do anything to prove its not for religious beliefs.

Why would you grow your hair out for those reasons? That seems really silly.

They can deny you the job and flat out say its because of your hair. Employers are entitled to do this.

seriously i have to keep my hair short and make sure my face is always shaved where i work. if anything, just cut it a little now and get the job. then startgrowing it out again. as long as you're doing a good job, they probably won't be uptight about it. if you can't do that, then someone else whowants the job will.

They dont have to prove #@!@. YOU have to prove that its for religious reasons. Good luck proving something like that if it isnt already the case. Theyre hiring you, theyre not going to do anything to prove its not for religious beliefs.

They can deny you the job and flat out say its because of your hair. Employers are entitled to do this.
Well, first off, I dont see my BELIEFS as silly. But Im gonna ignore that. I have to prove to them that its a part of my religion? How? Do youneed like signed forms from god or something?

They dont have to prove #@!@. YOU have to prove that its for religious reasons. Good luck proving something like that if it isnt already the case. Theyre hiring you, theyre not going to do anything to prove its not for religious beliefs.

Well, first off, I dont see my BELIEFS as silly. But Im gonna ignore that. I have to prove to them that its a part of my religion? How? Do you need like signed forms from god or something?
Probably prove the religion you are a follower of and explain where it says the hair is suppsoed to be long. I'm sure they'll do theirown research after wards to see whether you lied or not. If they are paying you well. Cut the damn hair. But then again easy for me to say. I look funnywith long hair so I always keep it short.

Well, first off, I dont see my BELIEFS as silly. But Im gonna ignore that. I have to prove to them that its a part of my religion? How? Do you need like signed forms from god or something?
look man, you can tell them that your god came down himself and told you to grow your hair out and all they are going to do is not hire you. theyjust wont tell you why. you have no entitlement here. if they dont want some scraggly looking dude working there, that is their right.

"Employers may not treat employees or applicants more or less favorably because of their religious beliefs or practices - except to the extent a religiousaccommodation is warranted. For example, an employer may not refuse to hire individuals of a certain religion, may not impose stricter promotion requirementsfor persons of a certain religion, and may not impose more or different work requirements on an employee because of that employee's religious beliefs orpractices. "

"Employers may not treat employees or applicants more or less favorably because of their religious beliefs or practices - except to the extent a religious accommodation is warranted. For example, an employer may not refuse to hire individuals of a certain religion, may not impose stricter promotion requirements for persons of a certain religion, and may not impose more or different work requirements on an employee because of that employee's religious beliefs or practices. "
ok believe what you want. i just said they wont hire you and wont give you a reason why. good luck proving all that stuff.

i'm worried about having the same problem with hotel jobs.
only thing different is.. i'm donating mine, so i don't know if they offer any leniency for that.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

I got a job for you.

Simpsons_Otto_Mann.png
laugh.gif

dude jus take the L, times is tough right now. any job offer is gd to have

in the real world long hair and tatoos are frowned upon

I know most people are Money > Pride....as much as I do not agree to cut your hair...cut it and grow it back as you work *$!$ em.

I swear that's the reason why I haven't had a job in like 3 years. A lot of college coaches want me to cut my hair too.

Well, I think we all realize that its illegal to refuse to hire a person because of their hair if its for a religious reason. The problem I have though, isthat companies will still do it and you wont be able to stand up to them in any way. So what now?

Originally Posted by Biggie62

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on. Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

so if you get hit in the face with an ice pack and your hairline is jacked up because of it, they can choose not to hire you???
nerd.gif

i hate when people argue stupid extremes like this...

OP how old are you and what is this job?

You need to choose your battles. If cutting your hair will definitely get you this job then I say cut it.

Ask yourself, is this job worth cutting your hair?

Originally Posted by doosta45

Originally Posted by Yeezy St Laurent

What kind of job is it?

A couple years ago, I had long hair and went to a couple job interviews. Although I killed the interviews, I never got a call back. Guess why?
exactly, i got a job back in 10th grade at vons in a white neighborhood and i had a fro going on. a week later they said to either cut it or give them back the apron. i cut the fro, but they fired me 2 weeks later
indifferent.gif

damn

Back
Top Bottom