I can't get a job because of my long hair?

This thread is dumb.

I have braids longer than a 20 inch snake. oh yeah. i do. Growin my hair for 9 Yrz.. i think ive grown to old to have long hair.. im definitely thinking ofcuttin it off. A more mature, clean cut look.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

Biggie62 wrote:
You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on. Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

so if you get hit in the face with an ice pack and your hairline is jacked up because of it, they can choose not to hire you???
nerd.gif

Dude, we're talking an entry-level nothing job. If I don't like the flavor of gum you're chewing I can hire the next you that comesin. What? Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know we were still pretending that fairness and reality lived next door to each other and had cookouts. (Theydon't.) You want a reality check? Go to a restaurant with a closed kitchen. Look who's carrying food and who's making it. Dudes with scars andlimps and neck tattoos are in the back of the house, and it isn't because they're dumber or less capable.

Originally Posted by the north west

for me I will not hire a guy if they have long hair
I don't care how much experience the person has either
An honest soul.

DatzToothLess wrote:
Your decision. I have a 1 inch beard, I'm not cutting it for any job unless they're talking big bucks. It has never been a problem for me, but if it came down to it, I don't cut my facial hair for anyone; Unless they are offering considerably more than I make now
So you won't cut it for anyone...unless it's for big bucks? You go, Mr. Integrity. Doesn't matter, you're in high school. It's easy to talk a good game when you don't have anything at stake. I've said it many times - reality can be a cold, hard slap in the face.

^ You're on a pretty high horse there to be talkin' like you know the "real world" or are some big tycoon type dude to be denying jobs forhair.

It honestly doesn't hold that much effect if you have good work experience and are good during your interviews and interact well with the people throughoutthe hiring process.

I have long hair and currently work for an Insurance Company and I've been extended other jobs, as well...with long hair.

If they won't hire you because you have long hair, you don't want to work for that company that bent up on rules. Most companies embrace diversitynow-a-days, not reject it.

...you want to keep long hairs or beards...that's fine and it's your right to do so.....but don't be surprised if you don't get jobs b/c of it.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

^ You're on a pretty high horse there to be talkin' like you know the "real world" or are some big tycoon type dude to be denying jobs for hair.

It honestly doesn't hold that much effect if you have good work experience and are good during your interviews and interact well with the people throughout the hiring process.

I have long hair and currently work for an Insurance Company and I've been extended other jobs, as well...with long hair.

If they won't hire you because you have long hair, you don't want to work for that company that bent up on rules. Most companies embrace diversity now-a-days, not reject it.

QFT...

I have long hair and I work for a Pharmaceutical Company as a Hospital Coordinator...

I have worked for 3 seperate Medical companies in the past 4 years and all of them hired me with long hair....

Some people can be petty but like CE0 Mal said alot of companies embrace diversity...

I am the youngest person in this office. I have long hair and visible tattoos even when I wear long sleeved shirts. When they had cut backs here they kept meover 2 other people (1 who had been here longer than me).

It is definitely possible to get a job with long hair so if you feel as if it is not worth cutting your hair don't do it..... Personally I wouldn't....

Originally Posted by Biggie62

You are representing their company. They want a certain image for the company. You can either cut your hair and work or choose not to cut it and move on. Private companies have the right to discriminate on looks like tattoos, piercings, and hair.

QFT.

At my company, you have to be clean-shaven. And tattoos must be covered.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by Durden7

well if its for a religious reason, then what?

...then he would have said it was for religious reasons.....
so when the employer brings it up, you say its for a religious reason... what are they gonna do? prove its not? Im just saying this is such a dumb concept.

Im growing my hair out, and it actually is one of my beliefs that now that I am where I am in life I grow my hair out, and Im only going to shave it when a family member or close friend dies. If I say that to a potential employer, can they just deny me the job and come up with some other bs excuse for it?
They dont have to prove #@!@. YOU have to prove that its for religious reasons. Good luck proving something like that if it isnt already the case. Theyre hiring you, theyre not going to do anything to prove its not for religious beliefs.

Why would you grow your hair out for those reasons? That seems really silly.

They can deny you the job and flat out say its because of your hair. Employers are entitled to do this.
Well, first off, I dont see my BELIEFS as silly. But Im gonna ignore that. I have to prove to them that its a part of my religion? How? Do you need like signed forms from god or something?
What kind of religion tells you to not cut your hair until a close friend/family member passes away???? There are many ways to prove that longhair is part of religious ways. If it IS a legitimate religious belief, it should be fairly easy to determine by the employer but if its for some stupidreason continue searching for a job.

Durden7 wrote:
dendanskesimon wrote:
Durden7 wrote:
dendanskesimon wrote:
well if its for a religious reason, then what?

...then he would have said it was for religious reasons.....

so when the employer brings it up, you say its for a religious reason... what are they gonna do? prove its not? Im just saying this is such a dumb concept.

Im growing my hair out, and it actually is one of my beliefs that now that I am where I am in life I grow my hair out, and Im only going to shave it when a family member or close friend dies. If I say that to a potential employer, can they just deny me the job and come up with some other bs excuse for it?

They dont have to prove #@!@. YOU have to prove that its for religious reasons. Good luck proving something like that if it isnt already the case. Theyre hiring you, theyre not going to do anything to prove its not for religious beliefs.

Why would you grow your hair out for those reasons? That seems really silly.

They can deny you the job and flat out say its because of your hair. Employers are entitled to do this.

durden 07 sucks... straight up...
grin.gif

bakedFresh707 wrote:
georgehimself wrote:
I got a job for you.

Simpsons_Otto_Mann.png

laugh.gif

dude jus take the L, times is tough right now. any job offer is gd to have

in the real world long hair and tatoos are frowned upon

lol at kinfoe Otto... hahahahahah
YoUNg bR3aD wrote:
CE0 Mal wrote:
^ You're on a pretty high horse there to be talkin' like you know the "real world" or are some big tycoon type dude to be denying jobs for hair.

It honestly doesn't hold that much effect if you have good work experience and are good during your interviews and interact well with the people throughout the hiring process.

If they won't hire you because you have long hair, you don't want to work for that company that bent up on rules. Most companies embrace diversity now-a-days, not reject it.

QFT...

I have long hair and I work for a Pharmaceutical Company as a Hospital Coordinator...

I have worked for 3 seperate Medical companies in the past 4 years and all of them hired me with long hair....

Some people can be petty but like CE0 Mal said alot of companies embrace diversity...

I am the youngest person in this office. I have long hair and visible tattoos even when I wear long sleeved shirts. When they had cut backs here they kept me over 2 other people (1 who had been here longer than me).

It is definitely possible to get a job with long hair so if you feel as if it is not worth cutting your hair don't do it..... Personally I wouldn't....

boilermaker sucks... CEO MAL for the game/set/match...

my 2 cents..
long hair is only a factor on what kind of job you are applying for which you yet to mention what it is. If its a blue collar job, then you shouldnt havetrouble having a job becuase skill factor comes over looks. A white collar job, looks come first and you got to look like a profesional.
Depending on how you went to the interview is also a factor. I read that you said your hair straight. (nh) but how did you have it? Tied back and slick back oreverywhere on the sides like Nash? I got long hair as well but im more into the blue collared field for that reason. If you trying to get a profesional jobthen its impossible to get it if you dont get job regardless on your skill. Remember, theres a next guy with your skills, that can be easy to come by and hisimage is more presentable. You cant really cry bout it either. My hair is down to my %%% but i keep it in a pony tail or two braids. Ive grown my hair outsince ive been tattooing so means something to me. Been 5 years already and I plan on donating my hair when i do cut it. An excuse you can use and will prollygive you soem points is telling the employer you plan on donating your hair to a friend that has cancer. Lock of love is always looking for donators. Imactually going to do it and dont know how good you feel on lying. I work for FMC and they hired me with long hair. When i got the interview they didnt even askabout my hair and im also heavily tattooed, but my trade and skill was a major point on them hiring me. Before that i worked at Baker Hughes. So depending onwhat trade you trying to apply for is a major factor. Maybe you should try the blue collared field. Hope this informs you some.

Honestly, employers discriminate all the time and there's nothing you can really do about it.

On a positive note, I started looking for a job last week and as of monday I'm employed.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If I was you cut your hair. The company are probably wrong but your representing the company and do you know how hard it is to get a job. If I was you just cutit, think of it as a new change.

Originally Posted by lysolflow

durden 07 sucks... straight up...
grin.gif

boilermaker sucks... CEO MAL for the game/set/match...

Yet another kid who has no idea what the hell he is talking about. Congratulations on making yourself look foolish.

Durden 07's and Boilermakers comments are on point. If you fail to believe thats how the real world works then you got a big surprise coming your way. Itmay not be what you WANT to hear, but it is what you NEED to here.

Here we go kiddies... you ready?

LIFE

IS

NOT

FAIR

The sooner you realize it, the sooner you can adapt to it.

Its not called SELLING OUT to the system. Its called BUYING IN.

Back
Top Bottom