I got in my first car accident need advice... SAD FACE

I just started financing a 2013 Hyundai Sonata in November and tonight when I driving on the interstate this girl, who is on the complete opposite side of the highway (I'm on the far right side, she was on the far left side)

She swerves out of the way of a box that was in her lane, and loses control and does a 180 into my lane, instead of hitting her head on, I immediately turn and swipe her with the front right side of my car.

Then the person behind me bumps and hits the back right side of my car.

Okay the purpose of sharing this is that it's my first time I've ever been in a car accident, clearly it was her fault but what do I do?

Is there any advice you can give me?

My policy allows me a rental car up to 30 dollars a day, for 30 days.

I literally have no idea what do haha

My policy covers:
View media item 1940205

This is the damage, I don't think it's total at all. Or I hope so... |I

View media item 1940201View media item 1940202

Last edited:
Does the police report state your at fault?

As stated you could get a lawyer, but worst case scenario your still covered under your policy and might be paying them for nothing.

If your not at fault via police report, contact the girls insurance company first and file a claim with them first. Don't call your insurance company and get them involved quite yet

Does the police report state your at fault?

As stated you could get a lawyer, but worst case scenario your still covered under your policy and might be paying them for nothing.

If your not at fault via police report, contact the girls insurance company first and file a claim with them first. Don't call your insurance company and get them involved quite yet

Aight, it was clearly her fault, she admitted it from the jump.

The only form I got was all the info from the people involved, she hit another dude, the same dude that hit my back back right side.

It doesn't state any faults yet though.

It says that she had Allstate on the form the police gave me, I got her policy number too.

I actually submitted the claim immediately after it happened, just going by what I was told.

1) get a police report
2) call HER insurance company and file a claim under her policy
3) save pics of the accident
4) DO NOT call your insurance company yet
5) get a lawyer. You may have some injuries/pain/whiplash that may arise due to this

yeah if you file the claim with yours first your insurance premium could potentially rise...

When your insurance term you paid for expires, it wouldn't hurt to raise your deductible a little higher then $500. It might save you some money on your payment 

damn son, i already filed a claim with my company... (progressive)
considering you wanted to use the rental reimbursement it probably had to happen anyways.. But in the future if it ever happens again and its not your fault (knock on wood), avoid that. The other insurance company would contact yours if needed. 

considering you wanted to use the rental reimbursement it probably had to happen anyways.. But in the future if it ever happens again and its not your fault (knock on wood), avoid that. The other insurance company would contact yours if needed. 

I called my company to tell them she was going to be responsible for fixing the car and the actually withdrew my claim, dope.

1) get a police report
5) get a lawyer. You WILL have some injuries/pain/whiplash that may arise due to this
Bruh take that Hail Mary pass for the extra payout.

Ya back hurts and cant nobody tell you nothin.

1) get a police report
5) get a lawyer. You may have some injuries/pain/whiplash that may arise due to this

la > ny

I called my company to tell them she was going to be responsible for fixing the car and the actually withdrew my claim, dope.

You're gonna wait for her to fix ur car? Through what shop? Trustworthy shop? Warranty on the work? This is going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars, you sure she has that kind of money and is going to be on this first thing Monday morning? What if she can't pay the shop and they hold ur vehicle? How you gonna get around in the meantime?

Just file the claim man, that's why you have insurance, so u don't have to deal with all this headache. I wouldn't trust someone to pay for that kinda damage out of pocket unless she was driving a Bentley.

You're gonna wait for her to fix ur car? Through what shop? Trustworthy shop? Warranty on the work? This is going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars, you sure she has that kind of money and is going to be on this first thing Monday morning? What if she can't pay the shop and they hold ur vehicle? How you gonna get around in the meantime?

Just file the claim man, that's why you have insurance, so u don't have to deal with all this headache. I wouldn't trust someone to pay for that kinda damage out of pocket unless she was driving a Bentley.

by her fixing it, I mean that her insurance is going to fix it.

From my knowledge her insurance company will need to send an adjuster to estimate the damage on your car (meaning dont fix your car with your money and think her insurance will reimburse you) then if the police report says she is at 100% fault the should pay the total amount. I'm pretty sure if you can find a shop that can fix it for less you come out with a lil profit

Her insurance will contact you and provide a shop to fix your car and provide you with a rental car.

Not very good advice. She has allstate and I'm sure her policy will cover the damages. Going straight to OPs insurance company will put a claim on his record and possibly raise his rate. I'm sure you should be able to take the car to a shop of your choice, and if they do send you top a shop you don't prefer.. call complain and say you will not accept taking your car to a sub-par shop. You have to be very firm with insurance companies  

If what you typed is what you told the insurance company word for word I guarantee you thats not what they thought you meant. Call em back and ask them if it makes a difference if you initiate the claim or if she does it. Insurance works different state by state

Not very good advice. She has allstate and I'm sure her policy will cover the damages. Going straight to OPs insurance company will put a claim on his record and possibly raise his rate. I'm sure you should be able to take the car to a shop of your choice, and if they do send you top a shop you don't prefer.. call complain and say you will not accept taking your car to a sub-par shop. You have to be very firm with insurance companies  

This all depends on what state I guess. I've never heard of anything like that though, not sure where you are getting your info from? The person who reports it first gets the claim? It doesnt work like that here, I'd be surprised if it works like that anywhere. He made it seem as if she was going to going to fix it out of her own pocket, not through her insurance. Seems insane to me that you would need to wait until the other party decides to report this to her insurance. That could be weeks. Is it a no-fault state? If so OPs insurance will be paying for it anyway, regardless of who reports it first. And if thats the case his insurance payments will definitely be going up next contract. Even if it goes through the other persons insurance his rates are still very likely to be increased just based on the fact he had an accident.

If what you typed is what you told the insurance company word for word I guarantee you thats not what they thought you meant. Call em back and ask them if it makes a difference if you initiate the claim or if she does it. Insurance works different state by state

This all depends on what state I guess. I've never heard of anything like that though, not sure where you are getting your info from? The person who reports it first gets the claim? It doesnt work like that here, I'd be surprised if it works like that anywhere. He made it seem as if she was going to going to fix it out of her own pocket, not through her insurance. Seems insane to me that you would need to wait until the other party decides to report this to her insurance. That could be weeks. Is it a no-fault state? If so OPs insurance will be paying for it anyway, regardless of who reports it first. And if thats the case his insurance payments will definitely be going up next contract. Even if it goes through the other persons insurance his rates are still very likely to be increased just based on the fact he had an accident.
But he has the not at fault police report with the other party's insurance information.

He could technically call and start a claim himself with allstate wether she started one yet or not. They would just need to verify with her, but the police report says enough. 

His insurance isn't forced to compensate because he isn't at fault via police report. They will if her company for some reason decides he is at fault tho. 

My thoughts:

1. You can always call your insurance company for advice without officially filing a claim. If you do file a claim and the other party is at fault, I think your insurance company will contact hers and work towards getting their money back.

2. I would consider going to see a doctor to get checked out. Often you will feel worse a day or two later when things stiffen up from the accident. Also it provides documentation should something come up medically.

3. If she is found at fault, her company should pay for you to have a rental. They will also pay for your damages. Some companies choose what body shop you can go to, others allow you to choose.

4. An insurance adjuster should look at your car and provide an estimate of the damages which based on the value of your vehicle will determine if it's "totaled" or not.

5. If repaired, make sure your vehicle gets OEM parts. They will likely not be new parts but you can't expect all new parts on a 2013 vehicle. Likely they will source front parts from a car that was totalled from a rear end accident and vice versa.

6. If you can choose the body shop, I would ask your dealer what body shop they usually send cars to.

7. If your state allows you to, ask for a stipend to cover depreciation of your vehicle since it will not be worth as much as it would be otherwise from the accident. This may also be rolled in along with a "pain and suffering" amount. Some states unfortunately don't allow for this.

8. Get what you can to make yourself whole but don't lie, cheat, or deceive the system (not saying you would in particular but just making a general statement). 

9. Never never never agree or sign anything from her insurance stating you agree with things unless you are 100% certain they covered everything they need to.

Police reports just note the incident happened, they don't state who is at fault.

But he has the not at fault police report with the other party's insurance information.

He could technically call and start a claim himself with allstate wether she started one yet or not. They would just need to verify with her, but the police report says enough. 

His insurance isn't forced to compensate because he isn't at fault via police report. They will if her company for some reason decides he is at fault tho. 

I've already reported to Allstate and told them it was her fault, the agent on the phone seemed very apologetic and that they'd take care of it all and they would get me a rental ASAP.

Last edited:

I've already reported to Allstate and told them it was her fault, the agent on the phone seemed very apologetic and that they'd take care of it all and they would get me a rental ASAP.
Good.. allstate is a good ins. company. You will get taken care of. 

Back
Top Bottom