I just filed for unemployment. What should I expect

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

I was laid off as a cashier for Burger King. File for unemployment and now I'm receiving $400 a week! Working FTL! I feel bad for you fools.

Ducktales. Unless you were working 80 hours a week as a cashier before getting laid off, no way in hell you're making 400..I was on unemployment after I was laid off from my job and was previously making $600-700 weekly..Got less than $200 weekly from unemployment

FUNemployment 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I was laid off as a cashier for Burger King. File for unemployment and now I'm receiving $400 a week! Working FTL! I feel bad for you fools.

Ducktales. Unless you were working 80 hours a week as a cashier before getting laid off, no way in hell you're making 400..I was on unemployment after I was laid off from my job and was previously making $600-700 weekly..Got less than $200 weekly from unemployment

Well I did forget to mention that I work for a 5 star Burger King.

Yeah they got 1 star, 2 star, 3 star, and 4 star type Burger Kings! Fortunately I got to work for the high class one!

I do miss that job though. I was getting paid Birdman money! With that hands rubbing and ALL! My tips were basically 20% of however much was in the cash register.

In late 2009 I had just got back from Iraq as a contractor...I filed unemployment and using the numbers I made in six short month overseas I was receiving $530 per week for unemployment. Yeah yeah yeah...handout my %*#, I was getting close to $2500 taken from me every two weeks in taxes when I was working...so not one single damn was given as my bank account was directly deposited every week with that sweet amount. Sad part is, when I started working again my real paycheck was not too much more than my unemployment after taxes were taken out 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You will get at least 1 check whether you qualify or not. They will then determine if you are rightfully worthy of receiving unemployment. If you end up getting it without any issues, then congrats.

I'll say this though, if they find that you do not qualify for it in the end, you will have to PAY BACK any amount of money they give you. So be weary of your first check. Don't spend all of the money you might get at once because you'll never know. Your employer could also file an appeal and the court could reverse the decision in their favor (meaning you'll have to pay back any amount they've given you), and they can appeal for up to 6 months. If they win the appeal say in the 5th month, you will have to pay back 5 months worth of checks! Seriously. Be careful & make sure you rightfully are eligible for EDD and that your employer isn't going to try to take it away from you.

Good luck!

I'm not getting any hours at my current job (retail) about to apply as well.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

eek.gif
at how easy it is to get unemployment nowadays. When I was on it, it was hard as hell, they had almost weekly meetings you had to attend about things like job searches, resume writing, soemtimes Employer sponsored where they'd make everyone apply, and in the end of all of it I actually ended up having to pay back every penny I received due to a stupid technicality.
Why did u have to pay it all back if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

eek.gif
at how easy it is to get unemployment nowadays. When I was on it, it was hard as hell, they had almost weekly meetings you had to attend about things like job searches, resume writing, soemtimes Employer sponsored where they'd make everyone apply, and in the end of all of it I actually ended up having to pay back every penny I received due to a stupid technicality.

roll.gif
That means he didn't deserve to be on it in the first place.  Dude's trying to twist words.
Can you get unemployment if you were being paid under the table?  This is probably a stupid question but I have no problems asking it if there's a chance I can get free munney

Originally Posted by KingPiff

So, my job let me go in October, the day before halloween due to attendance issues. I called in one day because I had to go to court and it took a bit longer than I thought, the next day I come in they tell me I didnt call, whatever. The past few months I've just been grinding trying to find a job and depleted my saving so, today I finally broke down and filed an unemployment claim. People with experience with this, what should I expect??
herny.gif

I been on unemployment since July2011. It's cool to get by but rather be working. Some cats in here act like its hitting the lotto.

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

eek.gif

roll.gif
That means he didn't deserve to be on it in the first place.  Dude's trying to twist words.
Can you get unemployment if you were being paid under the table?  This is probably a stupid question but I have no problems asking it if there's a chance I can get free munney

Its possible.

I took a job that was described as a summer job, so naturally it is terminal. However, when my time there expired, rather than just saying Thanks and letting me go which would allow me to say I was fired, since Military like to keep paper trail on everything, they had me sign a paper agreeing my employment had come to an end. It's a summer job, summer's over, I thought no big deal. When you file, they verify with your former employer, the Sergeant Major faxed them that form which essentially makes it look like I quit. However, this took a few months so I already had a huge amount of money from them and was told I had to pay it back since I wasn't let go, I had quit, in their opinion.

In hindsight, I don't mind too much. I'm not really the handout type anyways.

Get a PT job and work unemployment and look for a job in the meantime. Took me awhile to find a job before my UE benefits ran out.

Expect to be targeted by the Republicans...moocher. Stop wasting my tax dollars on your 40s and loosey cigarettes.

Yeah they got 1 star, 2 star, 3 star, and 4 star type Burger Kings! Fortunately I got to work for the high class one!

I do miss that job though. I was getting paid Birdman money! With that hands rubbing and ALL! My tips were basically 20% of however much was in the cash register.
Tips at a BK though?
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

My friend gets $1050 after taxes every two weeks from Hawaii. Thats the equivalent of a 35K per year job, except you sit on your %%% all day instead of working. Between unemployment and outlandish penchants America is in trouble.

Originally Posted by natch johnson

My friend gets $1050 after taxes every two weeks from Hawaii. Thats the equivalent of a 35K per year job, except you sit on your %%% all day instead of working. Between unemployment and outlandish penchants America is in trouble.
And our educational system
laugh.gif

J/K...never seen pension spelled that way though.

Back
Top Bottom