I need help from religious NTers

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Originally Posted by selrahc123

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

do you not realize what you do when you convert to a religion<--- this is more in response to SN souljah
its not like "oh Ill go to a mosque/synagogue/church and if I like the vibe/teachings ill convert"
many religions, especially islam are "ways of life" rather than simply belief systems
read the holy books yourself and learn about what you are labeling your self as

If I go to a mosque ill learn its a religion of peace, pray 5 times, dont eat pork, repect blahblah
the perception of nonbelievers, hell, sins, attitudes towards the opposite sex differ greatlyrom the average americans life though
you cant really half-as' on religion man..

I suggest you hit up wikipedia and read about the ins and outs of religions (and particular sects) before joining them
If you simply need some sort of spiritual connection I highly recommend meditating

Who said anything about halfassing? I basically know nothing about any kind of religion. I wanted to ask actual people first rather than reading about different types
do you mind if i ask why...because by asking other people, you run the risk of them being biased to their own. by studying and researching them yourself...i believe you will be bale to form a sound opinion of which one is best for you if any...
^^ exactly I was saying
my response was more in response to SN souljah's
"go to a mosque man....learn about islam..and within a few weeks convert to Islam...trust me ..it will change ur life for the better...its the best decision you can make"

that really struck me because there ARE people that go to houses of worship and to not get the entire picture (which you would get from independent research), and in turn "half as" the religion

Thing about Islam is that it really is a basic religion. There are the five pillars of Islam and if you accept these things then you are a Muslimregardless of what you do.

1.) The belief that God is one and he has no partners what soever. He created everything in existence. He sent the prophet Muhammad as the final messenger andthe message given to him was the Qur'an. This is the first pillar or the "shahadah": "I bear witness that no deity is worthy of worshipexcept Allah and that Muhammad is the last and final messenger of Allah"

2) The 2nd pillar is prayer. Since you declared there is no god worthy of worship except Allah, then it makes sense to worship him accordingly. This is whyMuslims pray 5 times a day

3) The 3rd pillar is the alms giving. Some people are less fortunate than us and deserve our help. The alms tax is 2% of your untouched savings if you makeover a certain amount. If you make under a certain amount, you are entitled to receive alms.

4) The 4th pillar is fasting during the month of Ramadan. This is the holy month when the Qur'an was first revealed to mankind so Muslims that are able tofast from sun up to sun down.

5.) The 5th pillar is pilgrimage to Mecca for all those financially able.

I know I over simplified the pillars but that's basically all you need to be a Muslim. Studying sects, issues of various laws, headscarf for females, ectare all just leaves to the tree. As long as a person keeps to the 5 pillars, all else will follow.

All i can say is do NOT go to a Mormon church, i went there for a month, i don't even remember reading the bible there just the Mormon book talking aboutSmith's adventure

Originally Posted by NjCollector

you don't need to go to a specific church,to believe. I am religious and i just go inside a church whether it's christian or catholic and then pray.

I agree with this guy
smile.gif

No need to go to church man,If you want the truth, just read the Bible with an open mind. Don't listen to what churches tell you. Read it foryourself and think deeply about it and pray.

Originally Posted by Solaga

Originally Posted by NjCollector

you don't need to go to a specific church,to believe. I am religious and i just go inside a church whether it's christian or catholic and then pray.

I agree with this guy
smile.gif

No need to go to church man,If you want the truth, just read the Bible with an open mind. Don't listen to what churches tell you. Read it for yourself and think deeply about it and pray.

This and This

Trip an Tedashii
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hugo

All i can say is do NOT go to a Mormon church, i went there for a month, i don't even remember reading the bible there just the Mormon book talking about Smith's adventure

come on man, there is no need to call Mormons out like that just because you had a bad experience, let dude make his own decision.

Originally Posted by Matt53

All i can say is do NOT go to a Mormon church, i went there for a month, i don't even remember reading the bible there just the Mormon book talking about Smith's adventure

come on man, there is no need to call Mormons out like that just because you had a bad experience, let dude make his own decision.
ok sorry man!

But people can call out Christians all day on here? get real man........nobody gets a get outta jail free card, shots get fired at everbody

Originally Posted by ONHOLLOWEDGROUND821

But people can call out Christians all day on here? get real man........nobody gets a get outta jail free card, shots get fired at everbody

I agree a 100%. When someone is looking at religions and honestly looking for guidance, you have to be willing to get into the dark parts. When I was on mysearch, I was talking to a Mormon guy and he was dropping knowledge about the religion on me. When asked him about the "Pearls of Great Price" andthe plurality of gods, dude got real nervous and tried changing the subject. I knew there was something up if a follower is nervous about something in his ownreligion

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

I agree a 100%. When someone is looking at religions and honestly looking for guidance, you have to be willing to get into the dark parts. When I was on my search, I was talking to a Mormon guy and he was dropping knowledge about the religion on me. When asked him about the "Pearls of Great Price" and the plurality of gods, dude got real nervous and tried changing the subject. I knew there was something up if a follower is nervous about something in his own religion
This is gonna be my last post in this thread because no matter how much we discuss this, we aren't gonna get anywhere.

But in regards to ^^ the guy that was nervous, its probably more that its hard to bring things into perspective or explain these ideas to someone who isn'tof our religion.

Take it however you want, PM me if you wanna talk about it more but i'm out

If you know your stuff and what you believe and why you believe it you wont be "nervous" I can get hit up all day about Bible questions and not missa beat........you get "nervous" when you dont know what you are talking about or know you have things you cant answer.........It's never beenhard to me to explain myself

NjCollector wrote:

arent catholics christians?

OP just search one that doesnt seem to contradict them self's all the time, one that actually reads the bible and uses it
grin.gif

catholics are not christians, not to ruffle any feathers but the Roman Catholic Curch is the "%!%*@" in the book of Revelation and the feet of MiryClay in Daniel.......and blah blah other stuff too but simply Said Catholics are not Christians no matter what they wanna say

I know you said you don't really know anything about any religion, so I'm sure you won't know the answer to this... but...

Do you know what church Jesus Christ went to?

He didn't.

He meditated alone. He studied God's Word (not called 'the Bible' back then). He met with follower's of God regularly, in their homes. Sure, Heshowed up at synogague (the closest thing they had back then that would be considered 'church' by our definition), but for the most part, His spirituallife was privately maintained and nurtured.

And yours should be, too.

I definitely agree with the suggestion of others that you need to first do some research on the other religions, what their differences are. There's a tonof differences and a ton of similarities between them all. Almost all major religions have the similarity that they believe that there is some sort of'great place' we can go to after we die and some sort of place of terror we could also go to... but there are differences in how they believe you go tothe good place or the bad place.

Almost all major religions share a similarity in believing that there is some sort of god figure out there and some sort of evil figure... but there is adifference in that some believe there are multiple gods, and there are some that believe there is no evil figure.

If I were you, I would take a solid year learning the different religions, maybe even visiting some of their places of gathering (mosques, masses, churches,etc.).

And in your search for knowledge, I have to disagree with something someone else said: someone said 'Talk to the people there when you go to mass or churchor to a mosque.' I'm not going to say 'Don't talk to anyone!', but I will warn you of this (if you haven't experienced it already):tongue:eople tend to be like salesman regarding their religion, like they get another brownie point for converting you to their religion.

I'm sure that even though I tried to be nondescript and vague, you can tell what my religious belief is... and I'm actually making an effort not topersuade you. Imagine how anxious and persistent and annoying I would be if I were actually deadset on answering your questions in a way that MADE you convertto my religious beliefs TODAY.

Those types of people exist in large numbers in every religion.

EVERY religion.

Try to avoid them in your religious search, my man.

And good luck to you.
happy.gif

ONHOLLOWEDGROUND821:
catholics are not christians, not to ruffle any feathers but the Roman Catholic Curch is the "%!%*@" in the book of Revelation and the feet of Miry Clay in Daniel.......and blah blah other stuff too but simply Said Catholics are not Christians no matter what they wanna say
Does it really matter?

There are people who call theirselves Christians who aren't really Christians.

Do you know what the actual name of the religion you follow is? Protestants. Catholics want to say that Protestants and Catholics are both different versionsof Christianity... and that only accomplishes both sides losing sight of what they're supposed to be focusing on.

You really think that if there is a heaven and there is a God, when we get there, He's going t be like 'Alright, what did you call yourself? ACatholic... or a Protestant? Or were you a Catholic, but a non-Christian Catholic? Or were you a non-Christian Catholic? Non-denominational non-CatholicChristian? SWEET! That's the right answer!'

No.

Forget the titles.

Focus on the things that matter, like being a servant, maintaining humility and a cool head, fighting for justice and equality. Jesus Christ Himself had aproblem with titles and labels.
wink.gif

Cross Movement
smokin.gif

Believe that there's a loving God & thank Him always for the blessings, then offer to Him your sufferings too.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I know you said you don't really know anything about any religion, so I'm sure you won't know the answer to this... but...

He didn't.

He meditated alone. He studied God's Word (not called 'the Bible' back then). He met with follower's of God regularly, in their homes. Sure, He showed up at synogague (the closest thing they had back then that would be considered 'church' by our definition), but for the most part, His spiritual life was privately maintained and nurtured.

And yours should be, too.

I definitely agree with the suggestion of others that you need to first do some research on the other religions, what their differences are. There's a ton of differences and a ton of similarities between them all. Almost all major religions have the similarity that they believe that there is some sort of 'great place' we can go to after we die and some sort of place of terror we could also go to... but there are differences in how they believe you go to the good place or the bad place.

Almost all major religions share a similarity in believing that there is some sort of god figure out there and some sort of evil figure... but there is a difference in that some believe there are multiple gods, and there are some that believe there is no evil figure.

If I were you, I would take a solid year learning the different religions, maybe even visiting some of their places of gathering (mosques, masses, churches, etc.).

And in your search for knowledge, I have to disagree with something someone else said: someone said 'Talk to the people there when you go to mass or church or to a mosque.' I'm not going to say 'Don't talk to anyone!', but I will warn you of this (if you haven't experienced it already): people tend to be like salesman regarding their religion, like they get another brownie point for converting you to their religion.

I'm sure that even though I tried to be nondescript and vague, you can tell what my religious belief is... and I'm actually making an effort not to persuade you. Imagine how anxious and persistent and annoying I would be if I were actually deadset on answering your questions in a way that MADE you convert to my religious beliefs TODAY.

Those types of people exist in large numbers in every religion.

EVERY religion.

Try to avoid them in your religious search, my man.

And good luck to you.
happy.gif

Thanks for the insight man. I do kind of feel like I'm being pressured into buying something when asking people about their religion. But I've beenlooking into some and I'm going to attend church this weekend and see how that goes. Ultimately I may just start looking into the Bible and just reading itmyself. I've realized that I feel better when thinking about this on my own. I guess the reason why is because it's ultimately my decision

ONHOLLOWEDGROUND821:
catholics are not christians, not to ruffle any feathers but the Roman Catholic Curch is the "%!%*@" in the book of Revelation and the feet of Miry Clay in Daniel.......and blah blah other stuff too but simply Said Catholics are not Christians no matter what they wanna say
Does it really matter?

Do you know what the actual name of the religion you follow is? Protestants. Catholics want to say that Protestants and Catholics are both different versions of Christianity... and that only accomplishes both sides losing sight of what they're supposed to be focusing on.

You really think that if there is a heaven and there is a God, when we get there, He's going t be like 'Alright, what did you call yourself? A Catholic... or a Protestant? Or were you a Catholic, but a non-Christian Catholic? Or were you a non-Christian Catholic? Non-denominational non-Catholic Christian? SWEET! That's the right answer!'

No.

Forget the titles.

Focus on the things that matter, like being a servant, maintaining humility and a cool head, fighting for justice and equality. Jesus Christ Himself had a problem with titles and labels.
wink.gif

Cross Movement
smokin.gif

You got me with the end Ska, Im with you on that but yes titles matter because what "title" is what you believe in, I am Christian that Believesfully in the Bible and fallows it, you can only have one Truth and God's word is his truth and his sword.........so yes it really does matter, not titlebut belief........the Roman Catholic Church is the "greatwhore" in Revalation why would I want anything to do with that? they are the feet that Godwill smite just because they are about as close to Christias as you can be does not mean they are Christians that also goes for Christians who say they are butdont fallow a dang thing the Bible teaches......Truth is Truth

Hey bro, I think it's great that you are becoming curious with the ways of the world and are seeking truth and trying to make sense of it all, let medirect you to a website that has really helped it all make sense for me and I millions of others www.islamtube.com !!! that is the most informative site aboutthe Islamic was of life. Asalamalaikum (may God's peace and blessings be with you)

ONHOLLOWEDGROUND821:
Does it really matter?

Do you know what the actual name of the religion you follow is? Protestants. Catholics want to say that Protestants and Catholics are both different versions of Christianity... and that only accomplishes both sides losing sight of what they're supposed to be focusing on.

You really think that if there is a heaven and there is a God, when we get there, He's going t be like 'Alright, what did you call yourself? A Catholic... or a Protestant? Or were you a Catholic, but a non-Christian Catholic? Or were you a non-Christian Catholic? Non-denominational non-Catholic Christian? SWEET! That's the right answer!'

No.

Forget the titles.

Focus on the things that matter, like being a servant, maintaining humility and a cool head, fighting for justice and equality. Jesus Christ Himself had a problem with titles and labels.
wink.gif

Cross Movement
smokin.gif

You got me with the end Ska, Im with you on that but yes titles matter because what "title" is what you believe in, I am Christian that Believes fully in the Bible and fallows it, you can only have one Truth and God's word is his truth and his sword.........so yes it really does matter, not title but belief........the Roman Catholic Church is the "greatwhore" in Revalation why would I want anything to do with that? they are the feet that God will smite just because they are about as close to Christias as you can be does not mean they are Christians that also goes for Christians who say they are but dont fallow a dang thing the Bible teaches......Truth is Truth

the Roman Catholic Church is the "greatwhore" in Revalation? please explain yourself seeing as how you know a great deal about Catholics

He didn't.

He meditated alone. He studied God's Word (not called 'the Bible' back then). He met with follower's of God regularly, in their homes. Sure, He showed up at synogague (the closest thing they had back then that would be considered 'church' by our definition), but for the most part, His spiritual life was privately maintained and nurtured.
I really, really, really tried hard to stay away from this thread, but (no offense) we gotta fix some things here.

1. Jesus studied in the synagogues until age 12.

2. People, for the most part, came to see him, i.e. Sermon on the Mount, feeding the 5000, and the like.

3. If actually going to church wasn't important, why did Jesus go into the synagogue and start going WWE on the moneychangers' tables, talking'bout some "you turned my Father's house into a den of thieves?"

Just had to get that out there.

*waits for incoming flamefest*

Chris is Walken,

I could really go into it and I will if you really wanna know, but you can hit me up in my inbox I have alot of thing you can read/watch, but simply the name"roman" infront of catholic should give you an idea.........the Roman Goverenment tryed to kill off all of the Christians!...........this was themerge Daniel talked about in King Nebakaneser's dream the feet of mixed Miry Clay and Iron that god will come to smite in his return........why do youthink Papacy and the church have sooooo many Pagan symbols inside thier place of worship? and on things they wear? when you see "zeitgist" they takeso many things from the Catholic Church and point it out as being part the Christian teaching and it's not true......... that was stolen from Eygpt whenthat isnt even the Chirstian church that's the Romans and thier teaching and that they merged it with the "catolic church" when they cametogether

Back
Top Bottom