I want to learn how to play piano

I dont want to go to a school or anything. I just want to learn how to play.

Does anyone know how i can learn. Maybe a software or something? I dont know anyone who can play the piano either.�

I want to be able to play this too.

You've got big dreams my son.

Take a few simple lessons from a teacher or something. Get the hang of it then you can start teaching yourself.
I play the piano PM me if you've got anymore questions.

I was you, 1.5 years ago.

Simply buy this book: http://www.scotthouston.com/store/product.php?productid=16133&cat=3&page=1

and go from there.

You will learn how to play "fake" music, which is just a different, easier style. Musical background is very helpful, but not required. It will justbe more work.

After about 6-8 months of reading this book and practicing with a fake book, I recorded these videos.

Some are better than others.

A big question is, how much musical experience do you have?

The best way to learn is with a teacher... But since you dont want one, the best alternative would be to get a book. You gotta learn the basics and playsomething simple and easy like Saint Goes Marching before you can learn to play something like that.

use youtube videos like that with straight close ups... my dude learned how to play apologise,,,he played it for a chick and had her in teears... its a weaponthat i wouldnt mind being able too break out

I've been taking lessons for since I was about 6. This is my 11th year. Lessons are definitely going to help. You should get a temp. teacher and just getthe basics down or something.

A big question is, how much musical experience do you have?
Absolutely none

You will learn how to play "fake" music, which is just a different, easier style. Musical background is very helpful, but not required. It will just be more work.

After about 6-8 months of reading this book and practicing with a fake book, I recorded these videos.

What is fake music?
I've been taking lessons for since I was about 6. This is my 11th year. Lessons are definitely going to help. You should get a temp. teacher and just get the basics down or something.
I don't want to have someone teach me...I want to do it on my own.

You've got big dreams my son.
I do, I'm always trying to excel at something new every month.

Music is a powerful weapon on women no doubt, but it is a wonder mover ones soul as well, man do it for you first, groupies later.

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

Music is a powerful weapon on women no doubt, but it is a wonder mover ones soul as well, man do it for you first, groupies later.

I never said i wanted to do this for women...Thats why i want to learn on my own.

I want to learn for myself.

i've played for 11-12 years since i was 5, but i stopped once i got into college- i really regret quitting but i'm definitely gonna start again soon.

my advice is if u really wanna learn, find a good teacher to keep urself into it. and when u start, it's not going to be that fun at all. you're goingto have to learn scales, intervals, all that stuff. More than likely you'll be playing Hanon, Pischna stuff cuz those pieces are designed to exercise yourfingers to get yourself used to the piano.

Originally Posted by acidicality

i've played for 11-12 years since i was 5, but i stopped once i got into college- i really regret quitting but i'm definitely gonna start again soon.

my advice is if u really wanna learn, find a good teacher to keep urself into it. and when u start, it's not going to be that fun at all. you're going to have to learn scales, intervals, all that stuff. More than likely you'll be playing Hanon, Pischna stuff cuz those pieces are designed to exercise your fingers to get yourself used to the piano.

is there a way without getting a teacher???

You will learn how to play "fake" music, which is just a different, easier style. Musical background is very helpful, but not required. It will just be more work.

What is fake music?

Fake music just means that the chords (left hand) are above the melody line (right hand) as a letter, not in the bass clef. It's almost likepiano tabs. No one can really tell the difference besides other piano players.

Its really hard to explain if you dont have a musical background. Just buy the book, or go off of YouTube self-teaching videos for each song... there are amillion out there.

Originally Posted by acidicality

my advice is if u really wanna learn, find a good teacher to keep urself into it. and when u start, it's not going to be that fun at all. you're going to have to learn scales, intervals, all that stuff. More than likely you'll be playing Hanon, Pischna stuff cuz those pieces are designed to exercise your fingers to get yourself used to the piano.

At this point, lessons would do almost nothing... he's better off with fake books. Lessons only really work with the young or amazingly determined.Starting from scratch would take YEARS.

Originally Posted by I AM THE WALRUS 1

What is fake music?

Fake music just means that the chords (left hand) are above the melody line (right hand) as a letter, not in the bass clef. It's almost like piano tabs. No one can really tell the difference besides other piano players.

Its really hard to explain if you dont have a musical background. Just buy the book, or go off of YouTube self-teaching videos for each song... there are a million out there.

but i eventually want to compose my own work....

In all honesty, It would take a life time to perfect the piano by yourself, with a teacher it would speed the process and make it even possible. Not trying todown on your dream, but If you want to compose music... you need a natural talent or a teacher man..

eyes.gif
tired.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Well, I'm a quick learner, and i have a lot of determination when i really want to do something. When people say i can't do something it just burns thefuel inside to do it even more.

I'm just a little a confused with how to start. It seems thought that i should buy the book. It looks good anyway.

Originally Posted by I AM THE WALRUS 1

How old are you? Maybe take some basic music theory classes in college and work really hard at them.

I'm 20 years old, with a double major in Mechanical Engineering, and Biological Anthropology, with a minor is theater...I don't have time for ateacher or a class.

I took lessons from about 6-12 when I was younger. I completely regret not continuing my lessons or taking them more seriously. I still play when I can, butsince I'm in a dorm right now, I have no way of playing.

I would recommend getting a teacher first and foremost, but of course a lot of us don't have time for that when we're older. I would recommend justgetting a book and practicing until your fingers are tired.

Some people have different views and thoughts on it, but personally I'm not a big fan or believer in just learning how to play a certain song rather thanlearning how to play, then learning how to play songs. I know a couple people who would just practice one song to try to impress people and that kindof annoyed me because I took lessons and they didn't know anything about piano theory, but that's just me probably
laugh.gif

Best advice, if you want to compose music, I highly recommend a teacher. Some people could pick up on it by just the book, but I couldn't imagine trying tolearn how to play without the help of a teacher.

Originally Posted by ljlukelj

In all honesty, It would take a life time to perfect the piano by yourself, with a teacher it would speed the process and make it even possible. Not trying to
down on your dream, but If you want to compose music... you need a natural talent or a teacher man..

This man speaks the truth... I've been playing for about 9 years now, going on 10... 6 with a teacher and I CAN'T even compose my own work or playmusic by ear.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I took lessons from about 6-12 when I was younger. I completely regret not continuing my lessons or taking them more seriously. I still play when I can, but since I'm in a dorm right now, I have no way of playing.

I would recommend getting a teacher first and foremost, but of course a lot of us don't have time for that when we're older. I would recommend just getting a book and practicing until your fingers are tired.

Some people have different views and thoughts on it, but personally I'm not a big fan or believer in just learning how to play a certain song rather than learning how to play, then learning how to play songs. I know a couple people who would just practice one song to try to impress people and that kind of annoyed me because I took lessons and they didn't know anything about piano theory, but that's just me probably
laugh.gif

Best advice, if you want to compose music, I highly recommend a teacher. Some people could pick up on it by just the book, but I couldn't imagine trying to learn how to play without the help of a teacher.

just want to learn how to play the piano man

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I took lessons from about 6-12 when I was younger. I completely regret not continuing my lessons or taking them more seriously. I still play when I can, but since I'm in a dorm right now, I have no way of playing.

I would recommend getting a teacher first and foremost, but of course a lot of us don't have time for that when we're older. I would recommend just getting a book and practicing until your fingers are tired.

Some people have different views and thoughts on it, but personally I'm not a big fan or believer in just learning how to play a certain song rather than learning how to play, then learning how to play songs. I know a couple people who would just practice one song to try to impress people and that kind of annoyed me because I took lessons and they didn't know anything about piano theory, but that's just me probably
laugh.gif

Best advice, if you want to compose music, I highly recommend a teacher. Some people could pick up on it by just the book, but I couldn't imagine trying to learn how to play without the help of a teacher.

same here man. I was always fronting on the piano when my pops got me a teacher, now I wish I could play. My little brother straight beasts it on the keysand he's younger than me. Have me feeling all
frown.gif
. But I brought mykeyboard with me when I lived in the dorms and luckily my roommate knew how to play so he taught me a few songs.

Composing your own music is no joke. I've played for along time and tried it a couple times, and it's hard as heck. You gotta learn music theory, andif u have no music background it's going to be tough. IF that's your goal, my advice is learn music theory and also just learn the piano even if udon't have a teacher. just buy some beginner books and Hanon exercises eventually and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom