If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

Not the greatest rapper
Not the greatest producer

But the greatest all around hip-hop artist of all time?  Dude is already 4/4, continuously taking his music in new directions

Power is
eek.gif

His first four albums > anyone else's first four albums, and if he really brings it on the next joint, he has to enter the GOAT discussion

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Nas... really?

Nas is known for being talented with wack albums
go edit your posts!
I didn't know Illmatic, It Was Written and I Am are wack.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

But the greatest all around hip-hop artist of all time?  Dude is already 4/4, continuously taking his music in new directions
Yes.

Hate him or love him, no one else is the total package like he is. A top 5 producer of all time that also is a better than average rapper? No one else is even close.

If he stopped right now, he'd go down as a legend. If his newest drop is a "10/10" like it's been rumored to be, I really do think he will have a very strong case for greatest hip-hop artist of all time. Who else is doing it better, in terms of all-around popularity, quality, musicality, or innovation?

No stan... and of course once he realizes this himself, his ego will become unbearable (even more so).
alien.gif

Originally Posted by JPioneer

Nas... really?

go edit your posts!
I didn't know Illmatic, It Was Written and I Am are wack.
This Nas start off pretty Well IMO

Originally Posted by JPioneer

Nas... really?

go edit your posts!
Illmatic, It Was Written and I Am are wack.
now you know
I really have to disagree. IWW is damn near flawless.

Really? Graduation was a good/above-average album. Power sounds ok. I don't see what's great about it.

By the way everyone has been describing Good %#% Job, it's supposed to take it back to Hip-Hop roots instead of the pop *%%@ he normally does. So now taking it back is a new direction?

"They thought I'd make another Illmatic, but it's always forward I'm movin', never backwards, stupid.

and yes, NaS is the greatest of all-time.

Well since this is all subjective and all i will add my 2 cents.

some one said he is an above average rapper. Yep that's it....above average. Now how much do you weight production vs rapping. To me he is an excellent producer no doubt top 5 but i think a lot of people can produce good music. Not a lot of people can rap really well.

I personally don't have a list of Top 5 "All Around Hip Hop Artists". If you said that to me id say Pac, Nas, Em, BIG, Big L, Scarface. I don't think in terms of all around producing and rapping talent.

And to the better first 3 albums argument?

Eminem - Infinite, Slim Shady, Marshall Mathers, Eminem Show (if you consider 808's to be a classic then i can consider Eminem Show to be on par with that)

Eminem also changed the rap world. He made it ok for white people to rap. Kanye made it ok to....wear tight clothes? date bald chicks? cry through auto-tuner? idk just my opinion

Originally Posted by viiheaven

not denying that.
but his incredible work is from Illmatic, lost tapes, and unreleased material

You didn't think that Stillmatic/Untitled were incredible?

THIS is the problem with the world today ... not hip hop or rap or music in general, but the entire WORLD ... when you got people claiming Kanye is the greatest in hip hop history, you know there isn't any hope for the human race ... smh

Ye' 4/4??...

You can't be serious... 808s was some metrosexual rubbish, I stand up to pee so that %**+ is nowhere near a classic to me...

Sure the guy had 2 great albums and another SOLID one, but are we gonna act as if hip hop started in 2004...

Id take Ice Cube's first 4 albums & his work on Straight Outta Compton over Ye... I'll take Dre's work on 2 NWA albums, The Chronic & 2001 over ANYthing Ye will EVER make...

Ye would be lucky to end his career with a catalog half as good as his "Big Brother"... And from the looks of it, Kanye hasn't gotten ANY better since 05...

yeah Ye should go down as the best rapper/producer of all time....but the greatest hip hop artist...nahh although his body of work is great the rapping skills are lacking which would hurt him getting that title imo

but with that being said who would he be up against for this title? the greatest mc's, Jay, Nas, etc dont produce music, but if we go by them selecting their sounds...well we know who doesnt win...but what else is being mesured? exemplfying hip-hopness?

Originally Posted by viiheaven

not denying that.
but his incredible work is from Illmatic, lost tapes, and unreleased material
It Was Written:

The Message, Street Dreams, I Gave You Power, Take It In Blood (underrated classic), Affirmative Action, Black Girl Lost, Shootouts, If I Ruled The World

I Am... (my favorite non-Illmatic/Stillmatic album):

NY State of Mind Pt. II, Hate Me Now, We Will Survive, Ghetto Prisoners, You Won't See Me Tonight (Feat. Aaliyah), Life is What You Make It (Feat. DMX), Nas Is Like, K-I-SS-I-N-G, Undying Love

That's a pretty good lineup. Better than Graduation & 808's & Heartbreak imo. And this is not even counting what Good #%% Job is going to be.

Back
Top Bottom