If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

Originally Posted by fearthenut

I've yet to see anyone list "classic" Kanye tracks. Can someone please? I'd love to hear the ones that are comparable to other classic singles thrown out (Lose Yourself/Stan) just in this last page. 
Kanye has plenty classic songs. Just no classic albums kinda like Em (probably more classic songs than Em).

Apologize
All Falls Down
Last Call
Spaceship
Late
We Major
Two Words
Home
I Wonder
Gay Fish

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

Originally Posted by Deuce King

You know, one of the great problems that we have in the hip hop culture today is that nobody is really teaching the HISTORY anymore or at least not in abundance.  Nowadays folks just pick up a rap album for the first time or listen to a hip hop radio station for the first time and all of a sudden they think they know what hip hop is or even the foundation of hip hop and everything from beginning until now.  The problem with that, is that it doesn't work that way.  As the saying goes "you gotta crawl before you walk".  You gotta alot of dudes right here in this very thread trying to walk across the room when they can't even get their legs underneath them as babies, or worse yet there still in the hospital in the baby nursery fresh out the womb.  I strongly advise any all parties that think deep down in their heart that Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in hip hop history to do their research, see where and how hip hop started from and when and then go up threw the years to see how and more importantly who got us to this point in hip hop now.  If and when you do this you'll be quite amazed of all that you missed out on or all that you didn't know about hip hop from it's early stages and you will quickly remove the thought or notion of Kanye West being a Top 10 figure in hip hop history out of your mind............QUICKLY.  

Even if you don't know where to start, don't be afraid to ask questions, better to ask a question than to assume.  It's almost as bad as the kid in class saying that 2+2=3.  Your bound to get laughed at by the majority of the class if you have that kind of mentality.  The best course of action would be for you to raise your hand and ask what is 2+2 or how is the answer of 2+2......4.
How is Kanye NOT a top 10 figure in Hip-Hop?   
When you say Top 10 figure in hip hop history, that means not only are we talking THE BEST OF THE BEST we're talking about the people that got us to this point in hip hop music overall.  Now just with making the Top 10 figure list, just to be fair at least half or so of those slots would be dedicated to rappers or even rap groups, the actually spoken word of hip hop.  With that being said it should be well known and obvious that Kanye West doesn't make a Top 5 rappers list of all-time, that doesn't or should need to be broken down.......hopefully at least 
eyes.gif
, I know how some of you Kanye West fans can be.  Now that leaves only 5 slots left, and these slots would be filled by individuals who's impact was momentous and long-lasting for hip hop, from dj's, producers, or even moguls.  With that being said if you know the history that leaves our friend Kanye West once again on the outside looking in.  Which of course is bad news for all you dudes screaming how Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in hip hop history.   

Amazing post, you have to remember some of these posters just started to listen to hip-hop/rap in 2002. So Kanye, an average rapper at best with a so-so flow, is their goat. Even though he isn't a great lyricist, doesn't have classic albums, and not many true classic tracks.  Call me when Kanye goes diamond, since he is supposed to be so popular across all genres. Pac did it, Big did it, Outkast did it. Kanye isn't even the best rapper of this generation so how can he be top 10 all-time? (Eminem is) Name me a rapper who has came out since 99' that has had more impact on the game than Em, more classic albums, better lyrics, and groundbreaking concepts.

Talk about a dumb#^ post.
I do agree with some of what Deuce King is saying, though. 

EDIT:

But really, people are gonna Ye doesn't have classic tracks or songs with impact?

You are buggin' if you didn't hear 'Spaceship' for the first time and had a 
tired.gif
frown.gif
 reaction towards it.

And with all of his albums, how are you deny the sonic genius in any of them? Where else are you hearing this kind of production? Dude is taking elements from the past and present and blowing them up into grandiose melodies/songs.

Everyone in the game wants to work with Ye. That isn't a sign itself the influence he has? LV shoe deal? First NON-athlete to receive a signature shoe from Nike? I mean c'mon.....I can see the argument for people downplaying the prevalence of past artists....but don't downplay what Mr. West is doing either. 

I'll personally say he is neck and neck for GOAT hip hop ARTIST of OUR time. The 'all time' argument can be had years from now. 

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Originally Posted by fearthenut

I've yet to see anyone list "classic" Kanye tracks. Can someone please? I'd love to hear the ones that are comparable to other classic singles thrown out (Lose Yourself/Stan) just in this last page. 
Kanye has plenty classic songs. Just no classic albums kinda like Em (probably more classic songs than Em).

Apologize
All Falls Down
Last Call
Spaceship
Late
We Major
Two Words
Home
I Wonder
 jesus walks
 we dont care
  family business
  never let me down
  goldigger
 heard em say
 touch the sky
 roses
 addiction
 Gone
 Flashing lights
 good morning
 Every thing I am
 Stronger
 cant tell me nothing..... and so on
album-the-college-dropout.jpg

51HcvBHgm9L._SS500_.jpg

These two albums pretty much assured kanyes place in history as one of the greatest. Plus with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy he dropped another certified classic reviewers are calling it his best album yet, so people do have the right to say he is the goat.

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

First NON-athlete to receive a signature shoe from Nike? I mean c'mon....
 So, just because you have a shoe makes you a greatest of all time rapper?

laugh.gif

Kanye is good, but you guys slurp more than a spaghetti eating contest.

Wow people getting heated in here. My argument against him being a GOAT is that he lacks enough lyrical skill to not be considered a great. He's average at best to me lyrically as he forces rhymes together sometimes that don't make sounds. And it's not like how Em does it to make it sound the same. He just straight destroys the word.

And I don't know call me weird, but I never liked most of his beats. Then again, I prefer the looping beats from Primo and Timbaland beats from the 90s when he did the early Ginuwine stuff.

I like a certain sound in Hip Hop when I listen and it's more gritty. And frankly, he just lacks that. And I am young BTW, I'm 24.

College Dropout is one of the best albums I've ever listened to front to back. Whole album was on point.

A lot of Stans in here.

He's a good rapper, but you guys take it too far.

If he said go jump off a bridge, Niketalk's population would decrease tomorrow.

Originally Posted by WhatsLosinLike

College Dropout is one of the best albums I've ever listened to front to back. Whole album was on point.

I could have sworn workout plan was on College Dropout..plus its too many skits...but all in all a good album it is

Back
Top Bottom