If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

I think a lot of rap fans equate music = beats + rhymes. So when you say kanye isn't the best rapper than someone will just say well it's just good production then. But it's more than that

Kanye is one of the GOAT of our generation over all music genres. He's only going to keep going up. He bounces back from adversity and publicity like none-other.

Whoa.
eek.gif

Saying Kanye can't be considered a 10 figure in Hip-Hop is ridiculous.
In my opinion of course.

StaXX wrote:
Whoa.
eek.gif

In my opinion of course.

Just to be certain, are you talking about Top 10 figure in hip-hop as in right now or Top 10 figure in hip-hop history?? 

I dont really think its extreme to say he is top 10 hip-hop history

Hip-Hop is what 30 years old.... if we go 5 from pre-1995 and 5 from post 1995....you sayin he cant make the cut?

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Hip-Hop is what 30 years old.... if we go 5 from pre-1995 and 5 from post 1995....you sayin he cant make the cut?
I said HIP-HOP HISTORY...........meaning from the origin up until now at this current point in time (November 18th 2010).  With that being said are any of you dudes really trying to imply that Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in HIP-HOP HISTORY??  I'm not talking about from last Friday up until today
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

I said HIP-HOP HISTORY...........meaning from the origin up until now at this current point in time (November 18th 2010).  With that being said are any of you dudes really trying to imply that Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in HIP-HOP HISTORY??  I'm not talking about from last Friday up until today
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i think so, but you obviously don't, can Kanye be number 11 then???
again as my previous post the artists i use are just EXAMPLES:
 i swear ya'll act like Mobb, and Q-tip had that real huge impact on hip hop, they were BOMB artist, but game changers??? c'mon son.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Russell Simmons wrote an open letter to Kanye, telling him to keep on going, as Russell ever endorsed someone so openly??? I mean the letter didnt come out during college dropout, it came out last week after the whole bush, swift, and lauer fiascos, not to mention the countless outbursts Kanye has publicly had,
 but i guess russell lost his mind too, right?

it's one thing to not like Kanye's music, thats fine, It's your opinion, you are entitled to that and regardless of it we all have to live with it. but to say Kanye has not earned a spot in hip hop history is ridiculous, I mean im not the biggest Pac fan but i know he somewhat altered the game for the better with his passion. Don't think of a list of your favorite artists and change the name of the list to top 10 hip hop history, think really long and hard and pinpoint the different eras of rap and WHEN they changed and WHO changed them.

I mean i used Michael Jackson in my last post as an example and guess what??? I liked Janet better, Don't get me wrong i liked MJ.......but Janet's albums get more spins on my IPOD, some people will call me whatever, which is fine, but for me to act like MJ didn't change the game, would be rather stupid of me.

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

Whoa.
eek.gif

In my opinion of course.

Just to be certain, are you talking about Top 10 figure in hip-hop as in right now or Top 10 figure in hip-hop history?? 
Hip-Hop history homie.
pimp.gif

but to say Kanye has not earned a spot in hip hop history is ridiculous,
I didn't and never said he didn't earn a spot in hip hop history, I asked who here thinks that he has earned a Top 10 spot in hip hop history.....................big difference champ.

Hip-Hop history homie.
pimp.gif

LOL.  Just goes to show that we have alot more work to do in order for people to catch up and learn the history.

NeptuneBeats187 wrote:
Kanye is one of the GOAT of our generation over all music genres. He's only going to keep going up. He bounces back from adversity and publicity like none-other.

How this alone doesn't make you top 10 in hip-hop history, I don't understand.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

NeptuneBeats187 wrote:

Well for starters Kanye would have to be one of the GOAT from our generation over all music genres to begin with.  Seeing how he's not the connection between that and him having a Top 10 figure spot in hip hop history is null and void.  Anymore comments from the peanut gallery??

NeptuneBeats187 wrote:

Well for starters Kanye would have to be one of the GOAT from our generation over all music genres to begin with.  Seeing how he's not the connection between that and him having a Top 10 figure spot in hip hop history is null and void.  Anymore comments from the peanut gallery??

eek.gif

The stupidity is insurmountable...

NeptuneBeats187 wrote:

eek.gif

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

NeptuneBeats187 wrote:

eek.gif

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

How is Kanye NOT a top 10 figure in Hip-Hop?

Just answer that. People have made the case that he is, what is your case that he ISN'T?

How is Kanye NOT a top 10 figure in Hip-Hop? Just answer that. People have made the case that he is, what is your case that he ISN'T?

And will you name your top 10 figures in Hip-Hop?

You know, one of the great problems that we have in the hip hop culture today is that nobody is really teaching the HISTORY anymore or at least not in abundance.  Nowadays folks just pick up a rap album for the first time or listen to a hip hop radio station for the first time and all of a sudden they think they know what hip hop is or even the foundation of hip hop and everything from beginning until now.  The problem with that, is that it doesn't work that way.  As the saying goes "you gotta crawl before you walk".  You gotta alot of dudes right here in this very thread trying to walk across the room when they can't even get their legs underneath them as babies, or worse yet there still in the hospital in the baby nursery fresh out the womb.  I strongly advise any all parties that think deep down in their heart that Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in hip hop history to do their research, see where and how hip hop started from and when and then go up threw the years to see how and more importantly who got us to this point in hip hop now.  If and when you do this you'll be quite amazed of all that you missed out on or all that you didn't know about hip hop from it's early stages and you will quickly remove the thought or notion of Kanye West being a Top 10 figure in hip hop history out of your mind............QUICKLY.  

Even if you don't know where to start, don't be afraid to ask questions, better to ask a question than to assume.  It's almost as bad as the kid in class saying that 2+2=3.  Your bound to get laughed at by the majority of the class if you have that kind of mentality.  The best course of action would be for you to raise your hand and ask what is 2+2 or how is the answer of 2+2......4.
When you say Top 10 figure in hip hop history, that means not only are we talking THE BEST OF THE BEST we're talking about the people that got us to this point in hip hop music overall.  Now just with making the Top 10 figure list, just to be fair at least half or so of those slots would be dedicated to rappers or even rap groups, the actually spoken word of hip hop.  With that being said it should be well known and obvious that Kanye West doesn't make a Top 5 rappers list of all-time, that doesn't or should need to be broken down.......hopefully at least 
eyes.gif
, I know how some of you Kanye West fans can be.  Now that leaves only 5 slots left, and these slots would be filled by individuals who's impact was momentous and long-lasting for hip hop, from dj's, producers, or even moguls.  With that being said if you know the history that leaves our friend Kanye West once again on the outside looking in.  Which of course is bad news for all you dudes screaming how Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in hip hop history.   

You know, one of the great problems that we have in the hip hop culture today is that nobody is really teaching the HISTORY anymore or at least not in abundance.  Nowadays folks just pick up a rap album for the first time or listen to a hip hop radio station for the first time and all of a sudden they think they know what hip hop is or even the foundation of hip hop and everything from beginning until now.  The problem with that, is that it doesn't work that way.  As the saying goes "you gotta crawl before you walk".  You gotta alot of dudes right here in this very thread trying to walk across the room when they can't even get their legs underneath them as babies, or worse yet there still in the hospital in the baby nursery fresh out the womb.  I strongly advise any all parties that think deep down in their heart that Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in hip hop history to do their research, see where and how hip hop started from and when and then go up threw the years to see how and more importantly who got us to this point in hip hop now.  If and when you do this you'll be quite amazed of all that you missed out on or all that you didn't know about hip hop from it's early stages and you will quickly remove the thought or notion of Kanye West being a Top 10 figure in hip hop history out of your mind............QUICKLY.  

Even if you don't know where to start, don't be afraid to ask questions, better to ask a question than to assume.  It's almost as bad as the kid in class saying that 2+2=3.  Your bound to get laughed at by the majority of the class if you have that kind of mentality.  The best course of action would be for you to raise your hand and ask what is 2+2 or how is the answer of 2+2......4.
When you say Top 10 figure in hip hop history, that means not only are we talking THE BEST OF THE BEST we're talking about the people that got us to this point in hip hop music overall.  Now just with making the Top 10 figure list, just to be fair at least half or so of those slots would be dedicated to rappers or even rap groups, the actually spoken word of hip hop.  With that being said it should be well known and obvious that Kanye West doesn't make a Top 5 rappers list of all-time, that doesn't or should need to be broken down.......hopefully at least 
eyes.gif
, I know how some of you Kanye West fans can be.  Now that leaves only 5 slots left, and these slots would be filled by individuals who's impact was momentous and long-lasting for hip hop, from dj's, producers, or even moguls.  With that being said if you know the history that leaves our friend Kanye West once again on the outside looking in.  Which of course is bad news for all you dudes screaming how Kanye West is a Top 10 figure in hip hop history.   
I should have stopped reading right there.

In 2010, if you can't see the influence of Kanye West on every rapper coming out post 2003/2004 when College Dropout hit the scene, commit that. Seriously.

2001 if we're talking about production.

Don't get it twisted guy. I know more about rap and rap history than I take the time enumerate on here because I don't have the patience to type paragraphs on something like this. Just because I'm open to a lot of new music and understand that music progresses and changes more so than most people on here doesn't mean I forget about the accomplishments undertaken by a lot of people. However, I'm noting that you're STILL not saying WHY Kanye is NOT a top 10 hip-hop artist. Cut out all that fluff in that paragraph and get to it.

eyes.gif

You just made my point.

eyes.gif
I should have stopped reading right there.

In 2010, if you can't see the influence of Kanye West on every rapper coming out post 2003/2004 when College Dropout hit the scene, commit that. Seriously.

Son, you totally negated everyone's contributions to hip hop before Kanye West and everything and everybody that those people brought onto the scene with your point.  Your missing the boat champ, like I said YOU gotta crawl before you walk.

Hip hop production didn't start in 2001 though, not saying that's what your saying with this statement, but overall we can't talk about production in 2001 if we don't talk about production in 1995, we can't talk about production in 1995 if we don't talk about production in 1988, so on and so forth................get the point.  Again, now is the time for Y0U to stop being the kid in class that thinks 2+2=3, or just yells out the wrong answer which is what your doing.  Now if the time for you to start learning and gain better knowledge of a subject matter that you know little or nothing about.  

You just made my point.
Like I said..........."As the saying goes "you gotta crawl before you walk".  You gotta alot of dudes right here in this very thread trying to walk across the room when they can't even get their legs underneath them as babies, or worse yet there still in the hospital in the baby nursery fresh out the womb."

And will you name your top 10 figures in Hip-Hop?
Are you asking for my list or OptimusPrime's??

eyes.gif

Amazing post, you have to remember some of these posters just started to listen to hip-hop/rap in 2002. So Kanye, an average rapper at best with a so-so flow, is their goat. Even though he isn't a great lyricist, doesn't have classic albums, and not many true classic tracks.  Call me when Kanye goes diamond, since he is supposed to be so popular across all genres. Pac did it, Big did it, Outkast did it. Kanye isn't even the best rapper of this generation so how can he be top 10 all-time? (Eminem is) Name me a rapper who has came out since 99' that has had more impact on the game than Em, more classic albums, better lyrics, and groundbreaking concepts.

Top 10 figures in Hip Hop history? Not even top 10 rappers, but figures in history? Y'all really trying to put him in the same category as the inventor of the scratch, the first rappers in the Rock and Roll HOF, first black label owner and so forth? I swear only on NT.

My man Duece made some good points but of course ppl will only take what they want from that.

Back
Top Bottom