If Rihanna keeps up the current pace, will she go down as one of the GOATs?

Kanye definitely influenced rap trends more than Jay ever has . . .

While it's debatable who's body of work is better . . . it's FACT that dudes like Drake, Cudi, Wale, hell even Lupe would not even have a lane if Kanye wasn't successful in being the non-thug.

It's almost the norm now for rappers to wear tight clothes, and come out as an "anti thug".

Not even mentioning the resurgence of soul sound, the soundscape of rap turning more towards the pop/brighter side after Graduation and 808s came out . . .

Hell look at the high fashion tip the game is on right now, a result of Ye name dropping and repping certain brands hard (90's cats please stay away with your "so-and-so repped Hilfiger and Versace and Polo" replies I see coming from miles away, not the same)

Ye definitely will have more of an effect on the culture 20 years from now than Jay did.
Dawg, you crazy. You act like Kanye was the first non-thug rapper out, as if ATCQ, Black Sheep, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, De La Soul, Mos Def, The Roots, etc. never existed or had any success. Basically homie was a 90's Native Tongues type rapper that blew up in the 2000's.

Now as a producer, yes he's one of the best ever. As a rapper eh.

And fashion, please. So he was part of the trend to go away from baggy clothing. That was a movement bigger than him. If he dressed the same way in 96, it would have meant nothing.

And Jay completely dominated the game from 98-2002. You can't tell me Kanye ran the game like that for any time period.

Kanye definitely influenced rap trends more than Jay ever has . . .

While it's debatable who's body of work is better . . . it's FACT that dudes like Drake, Cudi, Wale, hell even Lupe would not even have a lane if Kanye wasn't successful in being the non-thug.

It's almost the norm now for rappers to wear tight clothes, and come out as an "anti thug".

Not even mentioning the resurgence of soul sound, the soundscape of rap turning more towards the pop/brighter side after Graduation and 808s came out . . .

Hell look at the high fashion tip the game is on right now, a result of Ye name dropping and repping certain brands hard (90's cats please stay away with your "so-and-so repped Hilfiger and Versace and Polo" replies I see coming from miles away, not the same)

Ye definitely will have more of an effect on the culture 20 years from now than Jay did.
Dawg, you crazy. You act like Kanye was the first non-thug rapper out, as if ATCQ, Black Sheep, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, De La Soul, Mos Def, The Roots, etc. never existed or had any success. Basically homie was a 90's Native Tongues type rapper that blew up in the 2000's.

Now as a producer, yes he's one of the best ever. As a rapper eh.

And fashion, please. So he was part of the trend to go away from baggy clothing. That was a movement bigger than him. If he dressed the same way in 96, it would have meant nothing.

And Jay completely dominated the game from 98-2002. You can't tell me Kanye ran the game like that for any time period.
Please don't disrespect Premier like that
mean.gif

So No I.D., Juice, RhymeFest, Vakill and Hova are the reasons why Drake can go platinum talking about being vulnerable with women? Or Cudi can be successful about being depressed?​

Basically what I'm getting at is that Ye made it acceptable in the rap community to appear weak sometimes. And not have to be on some thug **** to get a deal on a rap label.​

You forgetting Eminem. He wasnt no gangsta. Didn't rap about typical **** and was also vulnerable in his raps. Em carved that lane and Ye paved it.

Last edited:
People acting like there was never a non-gangster rapper before Kanye... lol

I don't know how many people he's influencing fashion wise these days either. I haven't seen any guys wearing dresses... yet.

Last edited:
She has great #'s, but the names listed are legends who's music can last for generations... I don't see that with Rihannas music.

Its just a different climate now then it was then. The artists you named had success that was more organic, Rihanna is just lucky to be in the position shes in.(with the machine behind her) She cant sing or write her own music, so to put her up there with those legends isn't right.

I really was going to make a thread about Rihanna today no lie. I heard this yesterday in its entirety and it might just be her best song ever. Definitely in the top 3 with Unfaithful and whatever other song you wanna name cause I dont really know her music like that.
The most swagged out song by a female ever.
kanye > jay and it's not even close. 20 years from now. 

Last edited:
Best at what? Pop artist? Probably. As an overall artist, not a chance. She's virtually talentless. She doesn't write and can't sing.

If she didn't have the benefit of the machine she has behind her, she would have faded into obscurity like many pop artists before her.

Last edited:
As a rapper. Jay Z > Kanye.

As an artist. Kanye  > Jay Z.

Body of work. Kanye > Jay Z. 

Live shows and tours. Kanye > Jay Z. Glow in the Dark Tour is the greatest hip hop live performance I've ever seen. 

When people shake their heads at this statement, they will reference Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint. Remember that Kanye played a HUGE part in the Blueprint project. I'll even say.......Kanye played a huge role in keeping Jay Z relevant from 2001 to today. 

Reasonable doubt and the Blueprint are classics to me. But still, Jay Z's body of work doesn't compare to Kanye's and it's not even close. College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, 808's (yes, even this album), MBDTF, are you guys serious? How are we gonna discuss bodies of work when Jay Z released garbage like Kingdom Come and Blueprint 3? 

At least Jay-Z wrote his own lyrics.

MBDTF has absolutely no replay value and the usual tastemakers made it appear to be bigger than it really was when it dropped.

As a rapper. Jay Z > Kanye.

As an artist. Kanye  > Jay Z.

Body of work. Kanye > Jay Z. 

Live shows and tours. Kanye > Jay Z. Glow in the Dark Tour is the greatest hip hop live performance I've ever seen. 

When people shake their heads at this statement, they will reference Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint. Remember that Kanye played a HUGE part in the Blueprint project. I'll even say.......Kanye played a huge role in keeping Jay Z relevant from 2001 to today. 

Reasonable doubt and the Blueprint are classics to me. But still, Jay Z's body of work doesn't compare to Kanye's and it's not even close. College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, 808's (yes, even this album), MBDTF, are you guys serious? How are we gonna discuss bodies of work when Jay Z released garbage like Kingdom Come and Blueprint 3? 
What am I reading......

First of all, as an "artist" I have always at the very least considered, cause you're going to say things like KanYe produces and "sings" whereas JAY does not, that is fine, but its still no. It does however vault him over other artists that are better rappers than him, just not Hov.

Body of work? CHILL it is nowhere close. You have the nerve to call BP3 trash when 808s and Graduation are bad. I just listeneded to Graduation yesterday and I must have hit the skip track button on my ipod at least 6 times. KanYe also has no classics. MBDTF and LR are his best albums, theyre great but classics? No sir.

Live shows and tours... JAY-Z is the best live rapper of all time, no one draws the crowd in like he does, hes one of the few rappers who doesnt have the words playing behind him, and unlike KanYe he does not mess up. The amount of times I've seen KanYe jumble over his own lyrics and end up mumbling is insane. If you went to the WTT tour the gap between them was very obvious. KanYe wasnt putting on a show like Hov did, and Hov doesnt even use theatrics.

KanYe had a huge role in the Blueprint yes, but who was the driving force behind KanYes rapping career period? Shawn Corey? Yeah Shawn Corey.

KanYe as a musical artist will never hold a candle to JAY-Z. He may very well end up being more influential in other areas, Hov doesnt care about clothes and shoes like that anymore, but music? Nah B. No way no how.

Last edited:
Kanye definitely influenced rap trends more than Jay ever has . . .​

While it's debatable who's body of work is better . . . it's FACT that dudes like Drake, Cudi, Wale, hell even Lupe would not even have a lane if Kanye wasn't successful in being the non-thug.​

It's almost the norm now for rappers to wear tight clothes, and come out as an "anti thug".​

Not even mentioning the resurgence of soul sound, the soundscape of rap turning more towards the pop/brighter side after Graduation and 808s came out . . .​

Hell look at the high fashion tip the game is on right now, a result of Ye name dropping and repping certain brands hard (90's cats please stay away with your "so-and-so repped Hilfiger and Versace and Polo" replies I see coming from miles away, not the same)​

Ye definitely will have more of an effect on the culture 20 years from now than Jay did.​

I actually agree with this. Ye definitely POPULARIZED the last couple major paradigm changes in hip hop. The first being the "regular guy" era with College Dropout, which went totally against the gangster-thug-flossy rap which was most popular at the time. Second, with the rise of emotional synth heavy kleenex that 808s & Heartbreaks started.

None of this has anything to do with the OP tho :lol:

What am I reading......

First of all, as an "artist" I have always at the very least considered, cause you're going to say things like KanYe produces and "sings" whereas JAY does not, that is fine, but its still no. It does however vault him over other artists that are better rappers than him, just not Hov.

Body of work? CHILL it is nowhere close. You have the nerve to call BP3 trash when 808s and Graduation are bad. I just listeneded to Graduation yesterday and I must have hit the skip track button on my ipod at least 6 times. KanYe also has no classics. MBDTF and LR are his best albums, theyre great but classics? No sir.

Live shows and tours... JAY-Z is the best live rapper of all time, no one draws the crowd in like he does, hes one of the few rappers who doesnt have the words playing behind him, and unlike KanYe he does not mess up. The amount of times I've seen KanYe jumble over his own lyrics and end up mumbling is insane. If you went to the WTT tour the gap between them was very obvious. KanYe wasnt putting on a show like Hov did, and Hov doesnt even use theatrics.

KanYe had a huge role in the Blueprint yes, but who was the driving force behind KanYes rapping career period? Shawn Corey? Yeah Shawn Corey.

KanYe as a musical artist will never hold a candle to JAY-Z. He may very well end up being more influential in other areas, Hov doesnt care about clothes and shoes like that anymore, but music? Nah B. No way no how.

yeah. stopped reading right here.

Back
Top Bottom