If the general agreement is that JB is intentionally gimping the quality...

I thought hypebeast were dudes covered in trends head to toe?

They are...

Exhibit A

"Lower" quality is not just happening on retro Jordans. It's happening to every Nike release. It's just more apparent because you have an older version to compare it to with a retro.
But material-wise, the drop-off between a '12 IV retro and an '06 retro is, overall, similar to the dropoff between a Hyperdunk 2012 and a Huarache 2k5. The company is always looking for cheaper materials, even replacements for leathers. (I know the Hyperdunk/2k5 thing might be skewed because of the cushioning tech, flywire, etc. in the new one, but I mean strictly the base materials, not performance tech)

Here's the thing - the 'Black Cat' and the 'Pure Money' retro IVs from '06 were actually quite well made with decent materials. The OG colourways like the 'Military' and 'Fire Reds' were utter trash - but JB was 'experimenting' then with running garbage materials on the OG colourways. Since '08 they've been running the garbage materials on all their retro product. I've worked in a store that has had both '06 IVs and '12 IVs drop and I can honestly say that both versions were/are utter garbage, the only difference is that the former retailed for cheaper.

Your analogy between the Huarache 2K5 and Hyperdunk is not quite correct in this instance but I understand what you're saying. A better analogy would be the Huarache 2K4 retro (Olympic) which is essentially a 'Total Package' with Zoom Air.

I really feel bad for people paying 'premiums' for IXs and XIs - since '01 and '03 none of these joints have had decent materials. They keep running stiff pleather on the IXs that makes an already narrow shoe incredibly uncomfortable while CDP XI was the equivalent of wearing a cast on your foot - the epitome of an 'authentic fakes'.

Jordan Brand hasn't been associated with a quality shoe since 99-03 era of releases. Everything after that has been suspect and on a downward spiral.
Haven't bought a pair since 2004 and will continue not to. Only you are in charge of your wallet, if you don't like something or think it's crap (like I do) then don't buy it (like I do).

This is the absolute truth.

I started back in 2006 so i dont know much about quality but i have a pair of 99 V's and DAMN! i can tell the difference

My personal take on this?

"people" ..humans in general? Just never seem to be satisfied.
Not always a bad thing, as it CAN lead to innovation.

I'd guess the older you are, the greater the chances of you disliking the "quality" of J's since about 2K.
The OG's WERE, in most cases? ..far superior, quality wise. ..that's pretty much agreed on by people who OWNED or own OG's.

That said? ..things change. Times change.
What IS, "what it used to be?"
..feel me?

I agree 1000% w/people who say, if you don't like the quality? ..don't BUY. Seems real simple, to me. ..I dunno'.

There's a difference between what I'd consider a "review", vs what I'd call a "complaint".
We SHOULD try to keep each other informed, that's really a beautiful thing.
..to see pics. & vids. & reviews.
I personally feel, ever since the net? ..I know EXACTLY what i'm buying, BEFORE I buy it, 9 times out of 10.
^THAT'S the upside, to me, far as Social Media & kicks goes.

The downside?
Is that we ALL have a voice.
We humans, myself included? ..are imperfect, combative, & glib. ..among other things.:tongue:
Quite often we see dudes complain about a shoe, on a net forum in the months leading up to RD, just to see pics. when he cops it later.
Or we see dudes trash talk resellers, but have the newest release FS in their sig.
Or you have a dude who is FULL of knowledge, blindly hate on a younger dude, as if eliteism is new OR dope.
..pick your poison. It'll most likely never change.

Again. I agree 1000% w/if you don't LIKE it?
Don't BUY it. Keep it movin'.

Some of us cop kicks, even though we aren't totally satisfied, because we have a sickness. Str8 up. lmao.:wink:
It is what it is.
It's like smokers, who KNOW they shouldn't smoke, who tell themselves as they light up that this is no good. :nthat:
..to each their own.
Who am I to tell anyone what to do, how to spend, what to like, etc.?
..I'm a no one. And that's fine w/me.

I think the two biggest issues are:
1) Guy A caring at ALL, what guy B is doing.
2) The "shoe game", as it were, is IMO more about MONEY now, than it is about kicks.

I just do my best to be realistic, navigate the landscape effectively, & keep the drama to a minimum. Can't change humans, OR "the game".

Blah. .1.

I don't know how to start this.  We are buying a shoe for numerous reasons, looks, missed out the first time, or recreating memories.  Unfortunately, regardless of the quality if they were to get crazy and retro XX2 P.E.  I wouldn't raise cane about quality, matter fact I would prob buy 10 pairs.  Serious shoes.  Wore them to Cali on a trip and they got killed by some dust.  Shoes are still 7.5/10 but we all know that only the top of the line Js are going to be quality.  Everything else....not in the same league. But we going to complain because Nike is raising the price and lowering quality.  Can we get a happy medium?

This...

"Lower" quality is not just happening on retro Jordans. It's happening to every Nike release. It's just more apparent because you have an older version to compare it to with a retro.
But material-wise, the drop-off between a '12 IV retro and an '06 retro is, overall, similar to the dropoff between a Hyperdunk 2012 and a Huarache 2k5. The company is always looking for cheaper materials, even replacements for leathers. (I know the Hyperdunk/2k5 thing might be skewed because of the cushioning tech, flywire, etc. in the new one, but I mean strictly the base materials, not performance tech)

and this

These type of questions never get an answer. People hate on other people for every which reason.... Can't please everybody

Last edited:
My personal take on this?
"people" ..humans in general? Just never seem to be satisfied.
Not always a bad thing, as it CAN lead to innovation.
I'd guess the older you are, the greater the chances of you disliking the "quality" of J's since about 2K.
The OG's WERE, in most cases? ..far superior, quality wise. ..that's pretty much agreed on by people who OWNED or own OG's.
That said? ..things change. Times change.
What IS, "what it used to be?"
..feel me?
I agree 1000% w/people who say, if you don't like the quality? ..don't BUY. Seems real simple, to me. ..I dunno'.
There's a difference between what I'd consider a "review", vs what I'd call a "complaint".
We SHOULD try to keep each other informed, that's really a beautiful thing.
..to see pics. & vids. & reviews.
I personally feel, ever since the net? ..I know EXACTLY what i'm buying, BEFORE I buy it, 9 times out of 10.
^THAT'S the upside, to me, far as Social Media & kicks goes.
The downside?
Is that we ALL have a voice.
We humans, myself included? ..are imperfect, combative, & glib. ..among other things.:tongue:
Quite often we see dudes complain about a shoe, on a net forum in the months leading up to RD, just to see pics. when he cops it later.
Or we see dudes trash talk resellers, but have the newest release FS in their sig.
Or you have a dude who is FULL of knowledge, blindly hate on a younger dude, as if eliteism is new OR dope.
..pick your poison. It'll most likely never change.
Again. I agree 1000% w/if you don't LIKE it?
Don't BUY it. Keep it movin'.
Some of us cop kicks, even though we aren't totally satisfied, because we have a sickness. Str8 up. lmao.:wink:
It is what it is.
It's like smokers, who KNOW they shouldn't smoke, who tell themselves as they light up that this is no good. :nthat:
..to each their own.
Who am I to tell anyone what to do, how to spend, what to like, etc.?
..I'm a no one. And that's fine w/me.
I think the two biggest issues are:
1) Guy A caring at ALL, what guy B is doing.
2) The "shoe game", as it were, is IMO more about MONEY now, than it is about kicks.
I just do my best to be realistic, navigate the landscape effectively, & keep the drama to a minimum. Can't change humans, OR "the game".
Blah. .1.

AMEN sir!!!!!

Of course. Why not use cheaper materials and be careless about quality control when jackasses are gonna line up for the product regardless? I find it funny that everybody on here always wants to put the blame on "hypebeasts" yet y'all are the same ducks that make statements like "jb quality is piss poor nowadays, I can't believe they put such and such material on this shoe, I'm only copping 3 pairs this time :smh:" What kind of sense does that make? It's not the hypebeasts entirely, it's YOU. The "sneakerhead" the one that will buy regardless of whether the shoe has drastic changes or not. If you consumers keep buying their crap products they continue to make more money using less. period.

Of course. Why not use cheaper materials and be careless about quality control when jackasses are gonna line up for the product regardless? I find it funny that everybody on here always wants to put the blame on "hypebeasts" yet y'all are the same ducks that make statements like "jb quality is piss poor nowadays, I can't believe they put such and such material on this shoe, I'm only copping 3 pairs this time
mean.gif
" What kind of sense does that make? It's not the hypebeasts entirely, it's YOU. The "sneakerhead" the one that will buy regardless of whether the shoe has drastic changes or not. If you consumers keep buying their crap products they continue to make more money using less. period.
You really should say those guys who keep buying shoes over retail. That COULD be the hypebeasts, and the resellers are also a part of that.

I don't mind people trying to be cool. We all went through that stage as kids and kids in high school; remember those Evisu jeans with the paint on the back, or them BAPE sweaters? Clear Forces?

For that age group, it's really all about fitting in. I get that. But when you're 23-35 trying to fit it, it's laughable. Come on man, you're supposed to find your identity in college (or around college age), but why do we have guys in picnic table cloths and skinny jeans? It's a joke. 

Main quality change i would say i noticed would be when the cardinal 7's rereleased a year or 2 ago. had my pair from '06 and and compared the two side by side. Completely different leather quality and the tongue on the new retro wasnt filled at all, no cushion to it. plus the gold tip laces were replaced with silver. the stupid champs employee had the nerve to ask if mine were fake since they had gold tips
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif
told him mine were made when REAL material was used and to do some research.

You really should say those guys who keep buying shoes over retail. That COULD be the hypebeasts, and the resellers are also a part of that.

I don't mind people trying to be cool. We all went through that stage as kids and kids in high school; remember those Evisu jeans with the paint on the back, or them BAPE sweaters? Clear Forces?

For that age group, it's really all about fitting in. I get that. But when you're 23-35 trying to fit it, it's laughable. Come on man, you're supposed to find your identity in college (or around college age), but why do we have guys in picnic table cloths and skinny jeans? It's a joke. 
Totally agree. It's awkward seeing a 25 year old "hypebeast" aka hipster.

But back to the argument, I feel that the old heads aren't too angry at the declining quality by cause of recent sellouts( after all some have been complaining about declining quality after 03) . They are just real mad at resellers and kiddies buying sneakers at RD and making it harder to obtain a pair for their collection, compared to the "old days". I bet most sneakerheads, even the OG heads would buy the XI even if they were stored in a trash bag. Really we are just pawns to this "shoe game", instituted by Nike within this consumer culture.

I get that. But when you're 23-35 trying to fit it, it's laughable. Come on man, you're supposed to find your identity in college (or around college age), but why do we have guys in picnic table cloths and skinny jeans? It's a joke. 
But what if rocking J's and wearing skinny jeans is their identity? 

People just need to take a deep breath, chill, and stop worrying about what other people do IMO. 

People need to be much more confident in their own life. In the long run, you'll be better off and even happier. 

It sucks that all the shoes you want get sold out. 

It sucks that you have to pay "rape" prices for shoes "that aren't as quality as previous releases".

It sucks that you now have to resort to "camping out" for hours/days for tjhe possibility of being able to buy shoes you like.

Rent has increased.

Gas has increased.

Prices for food has increased.

Prices for airplane tickets has increased.

People find a way to deal with this everyday. 

Either deal with it or complain about it for the rest of your life.

Pay retail for a gamble on quality pay 60-120 more for resellers with bad quality or pay double to triple for an OG with better quality IF its in good enough condition to be worn.  The "game" is a joke now.  Cop what you want.  Either you're giving your money to JB , some dude who somehow got a pair in every size of the new release  or some other dude selling a pair of OGs for a ridiculously inflated price.  

although, i do AGREE that the quality on most releases seems to be trending downward, i disagree that JB is INTENTIONALLY releasing low quality products.

as any smart business would, JB is simply exploring options to decrease expenses.
in regards to materials, there are many more options since the days of OG's so they most likely go with less expensive materials that they feel are more durable.
whether they are more durable or not, is debatable.

i think the bad craftsmanship has to do with the fact that they are mass producing more than the past, so quality will obviously suffer because they are flying through the assembly lines.
i think we would all agree that JB's quality assurance department is serious lacking. precreased shoes, coloring out of lines, wrong dates, etc. is unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

as for the hypebeasts, personally i don't care what anybody wears or buys.
live your life as you see fit treat others as you wish to be treated.

But what if rocking J's and wearing skinny jeans is their identity? 

People just need to take a deep breath, chill, and stop worrying about what other people do IMO. 

People need to be much more confident in their own life. In the long run, you'll be better off and even happier. 

It sucks that all the shoes you want get sold out. 

It sucks that you have to pay "rape" prices for shoes "that aren't as quality as previous releases".

It sucks that you now have to resort to "camping out" for hours/days for tjhe possibility of being able to buy shoes you like.

Rent has increased.

Gas has increased.

Prices for food has increased.

Prices for airplane tickets has increased.

People find a way to deal with this everyday. 

Either deal with it or complain about it for the rest of your life.
You and I both know skinny jeans are a fad, and is a relatively new one, considering just 5 years ago the trends were NBA logo pants, 8XL white/black t-shirts and black hoodies from Pro Club. Skinnies are fading though. Giving way to this whole...camo cargo thing...
mean.gif

I don't think anyone's true identity is a fad, especially one as painful as skinny jeans. Even in that picture of Jordan, the fad then was to wear the Locs. You tell me, what does Jordan wear on his face these days?

Jordan himself was a victim of fads. Anyone besides me remember that gold chain? Only people that didn't watch the NBA then and watch highlights NOW think MJ originated that gold chain in a game fad. 

Last edited:
few here know what the word "quality" means. same goes with "fake".

as a general rule, if a sneakerhead or hypebeast or whatever uses either of these words, take what they say with a grain of salt. i just smile, nod and move on.

Back
Top Bottom