If the Tea Party was Black...

For the uninformed Tim Wise is a white male as am I...

Any no cliffs, if you can't take 3 minutes to read that I don't know what to tell you.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Originally Posted by likethematrix

indifferent.gif

Why you swagger jacking my profile pic, man.
I think he has broader shoulders than you.

Imaginethat hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DCand Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and WhiteHouse, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. Andimagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke ofthe need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict inthe event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government?
Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

6a00d8341c66b253ef0120a55527f7970b-800wi

Imaginethat hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DCand Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and WhiteHouse, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. Andimagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke ofthe need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict inthe event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government?
Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

For the most part the "what if" game, whether it be sports, politics, etc., tend not to be my cup of tea but this article takes an angle that certainly makes you think and ulitmately put things into perspective.

For the most part the "what if" game, whether it be sports, politics, etc., tend not to be my cup of tea but this article takes an angle that certainly makes you think and ulitmately put things into perspective.

Originally Posted by rashi

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government?
Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

That's his point.  Ugh............

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government?
Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

pimp.gif
Revolution.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

pimp.gif
Revolution.

Apologists will write it off as semantics but he brings a valid point.

White privelage isn't tangible in the traditioinal sense, so it is very hard to make an argument for it even existing. Some use hypotheticals, but there are also real examples every day. Look in the hood, look at the different school districts, the proof is in front of your eyes.

Revolution in America has always been a product of social venues, some feel policy causes change, others feel vice versa. I feel it is somewhere in the middle, I mean the Tea Party needed an enemy right? So the movement itself stems from another movement (Obama)...In a sense it is a reaction to an already established movement. Kind of like the silent majority Nixon so cleverly took advantage of in his rise to the most powerful man in the world. See we- the public write the teaparty off as ridiculous- because that is what they are, but the very fact that they are viable, and the recent election proves they have an audience. A big one.   

The fact that people still refuse to believe that racism exists (yes I listen to hannity for lulz) and placate their own countries racial past by refuting the existence of any social gaps at all.

As far as Tim Wise himself, one of the best speakers I have ever heard live. I saw him in about a room of 100 people back during my sophmore year, needless to say half the room walked out, but the people who stayed witnessed an interesting and engaging dialogue of a man who just gets it. A white man talking about white privilege, walking enigma.

Apologists will write it off as semantics but he brings a valid point.

White privelage isn't tangible in the traditioinal sense, so it is very hard to make an argument for it even existing. Some use hypotheticals, but there are also real examples every day. Look in the hood, look at the different school districts, the proof is in front of your eyes.

Revolution in America has always been a product of social venues, some feel policy causes change, others feel vice versa. I feel it is somewhere in the middle, I mean the Tea Party needed an enemy right? So the movement itself stems from another movement (Obama)...In a sense it is a reaction to an already established movement. Kind of like the silent majority Nixon so cleverly took advantage of in his rise to the most powerful man in the world. See we- the public write the teaparty off as ridiculous- because that is what they are, but the very fact that they are viable, and the recent election proves they have an audience. A big one.   

The fact that people still refuse to believe that racism exists (yes I listen to hannity for lulz) and placate their own countries racial past by refuting the existence of any social gaps at all.

As far as Tim Wise himself, one of the best speakers I have ever heard live. I saw him in about a room of 100 people back during my sophmore year, needless to say half the room walked out, but the people who stayed witnessed an interesting and engaging dialogue of a man who just gets it. A white man talking about white privilege, walking enigma.

Good read.
Wise argues that racism in the United States is institutionalized, due to past overt racism and the ongoing effects of that past racism, along with current-day discrimination. Although he contends that personal, overt bias is less common than in the past (or at least less likely to be openly articulated), Wise argues that institutions have been set up to foster and perpetuate white privilege, and that subtle, impersonal, and even ostensibly race-neutral policies contribute to racism and racial inequality today.

This is what many people on NT cannot seem to do, IMO. 

Good read.
Wise argues that racism in the United States is institutionalized, due to past overt racism and the ongoing effects of that past racism, along with current-day discrimination. Although he contends that personal, overt bias is less common than in the past (or at least less likely to be openly articulated), Wise argues that institutions have been set up to foster and perpetuate white privilege, and that subtle, impersonal, and even ostensibly race-neutral policies contribute to racism and racial inequality today.

This is what many people on NT cannot seem to do, IMO. 

Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

You posted a pic of 8 black guys holding guns on capitol hill.

Bet'cha I can find a hella more white guys holding a hella more guns on capitol hill.

Furthermore, I ask you this--what was the general consensus among the great majority of American concerning the way these black individuals were acting?

That's the difference--

While these tea party folks are viewed as patriotic, the same feelings were not associated with the Black Panthers and other zealous black political groups during their hay-day.

Heck, even the FBI kept a close watch on these black groups. As far as I know, aint no FBI or CIA tracking tea part leaders and/or supporters.

Ugh...Ummmm...Hmph...

You posted a pic of 8 black guys holding guns on capitol hill.

Bet'cha I can find a hella more white guys holding a hella more guns on capitol hill.

Furthermore, I ask you this--what was the general consensus among the great majority of American concerning the way these black individuals were acting?

That's the difference--

While these tea party folks are viewed as patriotic, the same feelings were not associated with the Black Panthers and other zealous black political groups during their hay-day.

Heck, even the FBI kept a close watch on these black groups. As far as I know, aint no FBI or CIA tracking tea part leaders and/or supporters.

Back
Top Bottom