IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE ....DUNGEON FAMILY .......WUTANG CLAN

^ those guys mentioned above have commercial success, but still not touching the Wu if I had to pick one.

Run the Jewels is a awesome album BTW. Never really recognized Killer Mike as part of DF though.

why not?

and dre would rap circles around a few of them wu tang dudes

why not?

and dre would rap circles around a few of them wu tang dudes

Well, I always thought Killer was a solo artist (besides the purple ribbon all-stars or whatever). Now that I looked up the dungeon family he's considered '2nd generation'. So I stand corrected.

I would LOVE for Dre to put more stuff out, but right now the material just isn't there. Depending on who you put Dre against in the Wu, than I agree.

You gotta understand that what the Wu did allowed a lot of these other groups to come along. If you go back and listen to the old Wu cd's their subject matter and the plans they had came true and it's still very relevant to this day.

I'm not discrediting the DF, but the Wu has the history and the era that can't be erased from Hiphop.

CoolBreeze first album was a joke and total disappointment.

I
Too easy for me.
I think Big Gip, cee lo and sleepy brown are hot garbage. Even with cee lo and sleepy present  you know Andre would try to  sing for half the album anyway.

I ain't eem gone berate you bruh. Just go listen to Sleepy's Theme, Society of Soul, Witchdoctor's first album, anything by P.A., ya ignorance is rearing its head.

And Mike is definitely DF, he's not generation uno, but with that 2nd wave of cats, along with Bubba Sparxx he's kept the lineage going strong.

"Kast, I thought it was your boys."

Wu. Although for me if it was just Kast vs Wu it'd be more difficult to answer. Goodie is dope and all, but...

And if Killa Kill is DF, then Trife Da God is Wu, and that dude can spit.

"I'm still buckin like five deuce four trey!" :smokin

Last edited:
Rza been out there Peep for years doing movie scores. Just dropped a feature film a few years back. 

Meth was once up there with Snoop popularity wise, and he's still somewhat popular, he acts every now and then. 

Ghost about to go on a reality show. Rae still rhyming, and all he needs to do is come to the studio to lay down his vocals according to Rza. 

Wu Tang can drop an album and still sell. 

But honestly, they will never be able to outsell Outkast, but in terms of popularity overall you're right Peep. 

But for me, its always Wu Tang. I grew up on them, but I also grew up on Outkast, but not the entire DF. 

Last edited:
That's pretty much what i was getting at. No Wu member went diamond and had that type of commercial success. Now if you wanna talk about consistent music in general, that's easily Wu Tang. Big Boi and Killer Mike are the only DF members who stay dropping things (which is why it's always Big Boi >>>>>> 3K til further notice)

Last edited:
Wu easily

CAN I GET A SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

To be fair, none of the Wu members exploded to the stratosphere like Big Boi, 3K, and Cee-Lo. 3K and Cee-Lo are easily recognizable now because of movies, The Voice, and Cee-Lo's most recent pop related endeavors. It's been years since any Wu member has had sustained success and shine on a large scale.
I thought this was more geared to rap anyway to be honest not popularity in the present and even then in their primes Wu had that category on smash easily.

I wonder how many Cee-Lo fans know he raps. Hell I wonder if the common fan knows 3k raps. I can't agree on Big Boi exploding in to the stratosphere. You'd think he'd be the one to capitalize on their relevance with numerous solo albums after they went diamond since despite having a really good album at the time he was along for the ride when they became that popular mostly off the strength of Andre's The Love Below.

Plus if we take them as a collective DF got one album to show what they got as opposed to the Wu's multiple group efforts.

Last edited:
I HATE it when people use the popularity card. Outkast made music that soon geared toward the general public. Wu-Tang NEVER had to step out of their shell to gain more critical acclaim.

LYRICS AND PRODUCTION Wu-Tang takes an enormous dump on DF IMO.

ATLiens is one of my favorite albums of all time but the 36 Chambers changed the game forever.

I HATE it when people use the popularity card. Outkast made music that soon geared toward the general public. Wu-Tang NEVER had to step out of their shell to gain more critical acclaim.

LYRICS AND PRODUCTION Wu-Tang takes an enormous dump on DF IMO.

ATLiens is one of my favorite albums of all time but the 36 Chambers changed the game forever.

Why do you hate using popularity as a factor? I look at it this way, while Outkast and Cee Lo were able to make music that appealed to hip hop purists, they were also able to reach larger audiences by making music that appealed to everyone, which shows diversity and a level of talent that is not common in any genre.

With regard to game changing albums, the term "dirty south" came from Goodie Mob's first album. People still refer to the entire south as "the dirty." Who before Outkast brought that synth funk vibe to hip hop (ATLiens and moreso Aquemini) that is still being felt today? While the Wu were oustanding lyrically and in production, DF blended genres into one rather than relying simply on sampling. They were geniuses at production and if not for Rico's drug problem, would've been at the helm of music much more prominently than they are now. Organized Noise, at one point were basically given creative control over a record company (I'm having trouble remembering which) but it fell apart due to a drug habit.

Maybe you don't appreciate the accents or slang, but the DF was way ahead of their time and still are. Who in the Wu could've made Gnarls Barkley happen? Who in the Wu could've made "The Love Below"? Look at what happened when Ghost tried to switch lanes with "The Wizard of Poetry". And I love Ghost.

I could aslo argue that Aquemini gave way to El-P's production style on the "Fantastic Damage" LP, which years later influenced a whole wave of production, most notably on "Watch The Throne".

Last edited:
Have you listened to the differences in style on Funcrusher Plus then Fantasic Damage and Cold Vein (Cannibal Ox)?

There's a shift in production style and it came after Aquemini dropped. Funcrusher Plus was recorded well before it dropped and was basically a street album/demo. After that El-P's styled changed from Boom Bap to synth heavy and futuristic. If you listen to "Synthesizer" on Aquemini, it sounds like the blueprint to El-P's progression in style. Which to me is why Killer Mike sounds perfect over El-P's production style. It's just one style coming full circle back to the DF.

As for Watch the Throne, it's playing catch up production wise to the ground that was broken around 15 or so years ago when it dropped. The only thing that was cutting edge was they made the sound acceptable to a larger audience that hadn't been exposed to Def Jux and before that one of Organized Noise's production styles.

I think that it is no coincidence that "Sea Legs" calls out Watch the Throne.

EDIT: Giving credit where it's due, Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force really pioneered the synth sound in hip hop, but that's another discussion.

Last edited:
Why do you hate using popularity as a factor? I look at it this way, while Outkast and Cee Lo were able to make music that appealed to hip hop purists, they were also able to reach larger audiences by making music that appealed to everyone, which shows diversity and a level of talent that is not common in any genre.

With regard to game changing albums, the term "dirty south" came from Goodie Mob's first album. People still refer to the entire south as "the dirty." Who before Outkast brought that synth funk vibe to hip hop (ATLiens and moreso Aquemini) that is still being felt today? While the Wu were oustanding lyrically and in production, DF blended genres into one rather than relying simply on sampling. They were geniuses at production and if not for Rico's drug problem, would've been at the helm of music much more prominently than they are now. Organized Noise, at one point were basically given creative control over a record company (I'm having trouble remembering which) but it fell apart due to a drug habit.

Maybe you don't appreciate the accents or slang, but the DF was way ahead of their time and still are. Who in the Wu could've made Gnarls Barkley happen? Who in the Wu could've made "The Love Below"? Look at what happened when Ghost tried to switch lanes with "The Wizard of Poetry". And I love Ghost.

I could aslo argue that Aquemini gave way to El-P's production style on the "Fantastic Damage" LP, which years later influenced a whole wave of production, most notably on "Watch The Throne".

I respect your opinion a whole lot but again Wu-Tang never had to do anything different to reach out to more people. If you factor in popularity then where does G-Unit stand in this? :lol:

And I'm pretty sure Outkast wasn't the first group to introduce synth funk vibe to the game. Maybe the first group from the south but still Wu-Tang as a group has impacted the game in so many ways, thus launching so many careers. How many people do you hear begging for DF to make waves again? Maybe some but Wu-Tang was simply better as a GROUP.

And don't use that Ghostface album in the argument he was kinda way past his prime LOL.

You take DF and I'll take the Wu. You aren't saying anything wrong, we all have our opinions I guess.

This whole thread was a mess as soon as OP didn't include Inspectah Deck on that list :lol:

Back
Top Bottom