IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE ....DUNGEON FAMILY .......WUTANG CLAN

I can respect that and I went back and edited to give credit to Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force for pioneering the synth funk sound in hip hop. Not sure how I let that slip my mind the first time around.

Last edited:
Wu-Tang NEVER had to step out of their shell to gain more critical acclaim.

just say you like Wu-Tang better. what is this step out of your shell mess...like really what are you even talkng about?

you mean changing their sound? nobody forced them to do that.

Have you listened to the differences in style on Funcrusher Plus then Fantasic Damage and Cold Vein (Cannibal Ox)?

There's a shift in production style and it came after Aquemini dropped. Funcrusher Plus was recorded well before it dropped and was basically a street album/demo. After that El-P's styled changed from Boom Bap to synth heavy and futuristic. If you listen to "Synthesizer" on Aquemini, it sounds like the blueprint to El-P's progression in style. Which to me is why Killer Mike sounds perfect over El-P's production style. It's just one style coming full circle back to the DF.

As for Watch the Throne, it's playing catch up production wise to the ground that was broken around 15 or so years ago when it dropped. The only thing that was cutting edge was they made the sound acceptable to a larger audience that hadn't been exposed to Def Jux and before that one of Organized Noise's production styles.

I think that it is no coincidence that "Sea Legs" calls out Watch the Throne.

EDIT: Giving credit where it's due, Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force really pioneered the synth sound in hip hop, but that's another discussion.

Admittedly I'm not a big fan of Company Flow or much of anything El-P is involved with, but I just don't see the connection.

To me, it seems more like a natural progression of his sound than a direct influence from Aquemini. He was already experimenting with odd time signatures and unusual sounds on Funcrusher Plus...he did some weird stuff for the time. His integration of synthesizers came before Aquemini too. I can't remember the name, but there's a song he produced for Kool Keith that was basically just 3 notes of synth bass and it really sounded like the bridge between the Company Flow stuff and his early 2000's work.

I really do think it's more likely that they both drew influence from Bambaataa.

just say you like Wu-Tang better. what is this step out of your shell mess...like really what are you even talkng about?

you mean changing their sound? nobody forced them to do that.

Son calm down I already said nobody was wrong :lol:

I'm off this thread

I like DF a lot but Wu more. Peace out

Ghostface is top 5 one of my favorite rappers ever.

But its Dungeon Family for me. They got bars, style, production. True innovators and musical geniuses.
Wu had a bigger impact clearly. But one could argue its due to being in the NY market, when NY was musically everything in terms of dictating what got played and breaking artists. Not to diminish the quality, originality, and dopeness Wu brought, but DF made you have to pay attention while you were trying hard to ignore them.

Gotta love Raekwon.

Dude does what he wants, doesn't bow down to RZA and still gets love. Him and Ghost stay checking the rest of them dudes. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom