Information Technology (IT)

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to get a Secret sponsored, now a TS/SCI w/ poly that's a different story.

I think so too , I will complete my Masters out here too since there isn't much work to do .
Best case scenario I don't have to work corporate anymore after working overseas worst case I'll be a technical manager .

I don't plan on learning the language lol just a few phrases . My goal is to get to the middle east next year, but I will keep the thread updated on the experience.

Man if im going overseas Im going to africa.

How was it living out there? With all the stuff going down in the Middle East, I'm a bit hesitant to take a job out there, but it would be nice to be able to stack some cash for a year or so.

man it was actually quite peaceful, there was a stigma in Qatar if you committed a crime the penalties were quite hefty and they had cameras on every block in that country. I found it crazy being my first time out there as a contractor to find many American companies they even had a TGI Fridays. :lol: I was in country during Ramadan and found out the hard way but other than that you will stick out like an American but they aint messing with you in Qatar like that. It was hot as hell out there tho 100+ degrees in the middle of the night and it rained 1 time over there in the 6 months I was there :x

@JayzOnMyToes
 Ah I remember those pics on here. Qatar is beautiful .

@LuckyLuchiano
 yeah Africa isn't really a common deployment area. My boy did go to work at the Embassy for a week though, said he never wanted to go back for work.

yea I posted them before I got others and Qatar is beautiful you have to see it for yourself. 8)

Man if im going overseas Im going to africa.

there is plenty of work in the horn of Africa aka Somalia, yemen and Djibouti.. Can be dangerous but the money is worth it. Got a few friends out there now partying with the Africans off camp site in Djibouti

Last edited:
I thought you were a software engineer. How did you get that job in Japan?

I was a software engineer and didn't want to code any longer. I had been in contact with the hiring manager since April last year since it was an internal position.

Engineering related degree and Sec+ were really the only requirements . Told the manager I was willing to learn and was ready to try something new. This position is pretty much IT and troubleshooting , very easy.

Last edited:
I was a software engineer and didn't want to code any longer. I had been in contact with the hiring manager since April last year since it was an internal position.

Engineering related degree and Sec+ were really the only requirements . Told the manager I was willing to learn and was ready to try something new. This position is pretty much IT and troubleshooting , very easy.

That's awesome. I'm jelly.

That's what's up. I think wan't to move into systems engineering before I jump back into management. Want to get a deeper grasp on technical first but I need to knock out some certs and get the experience.

@ForerunnerADL  thanks man, yeah was just a leap of faith. Been my goal to get overseas since undergrad, coding was just a tool to help me get here.

@Mark Antony  Yeah I think Systems engineering is a great way to stay technical from what I've seen.

What company is that though where all they were looking for was degree and sec+? pm if you wanna keep it lowkey. I need to get in with a good gov't contractor.

man it was actually quite peaceful, there was a stigma in Qatar if you committed a crime the penalties were quite hefty and they had cameras on every block in that country. I found it crazy being my first time out there as a contractor to find many American companies they even had a TGI Fridays. :lol: I was in country during Ramadan and found out the hard way but other than that you will stick out like an American but they aint messing with you in Qatar like that. It was hot as hell out there tho 100+ degrees in the middle of the night and it rained 1 time over there in the 6 months I was there :x
yea I posted them before I got others and Qatar is beautiful you have to see it for yourself. 8)
there is plenty of work in the horn of Africa aka Somalia, yemen and Djibouti.. Can be dangerous but the money is worth it. Got a few friends out there now partying with the Africans off camp site in Djibouti

lol theres work all over Africa. By the time cats realize it they would have already feel behind the eight ball.

What company is that though where all they were looking for was degree and sec+? pm if you wanna keep it lowkey. I need to get in with a good gov't contractor.
Yeah I don't put my company online for security and personal purposes.

My advice is always the same, apply to everything . Make a list of defense contractors in the area (I'd personally would never work for Booz, Accenture, and Deloitte) , create filters/alerts, and apply to everything.

I didn't know there was a lot of overseas work in Africa , defense wise .

Last edited:
I am from the region, and there is not enough money out there to get me to move to Somalia, Yemen or Djibouti. Maybe a place like Nairobi, Kenya but willingly moving to one of the aforementioned three? nah 

Last edited:

My advice is always the same, apply to everything . Make a list of defense contractors in the area (I'd personally would never work for Booz, Accenture, and Deloitte) , create filters/alerts, and apply to everything.

Makes sense.

You in DC right? Well, Snap INC who took over a few contracts here (and ruined them) is out of Chantily. Northrup Grumman and Raytheon are 2 of the biggest defense contractors, they;re all over the country globe. Horizon out of Vienna hit me up for a senior systems admin. Generally it's going to be sec+ like you said but probably also a Windows 7, which they can hire you without and give you 90 days to get it. And even that rule heavily depends on the C.O.R, we had guys fail to get it for a year plus and stay on then had a pregnant chic nobody liked who tried to game the system, hit her with her pink slip on day 91.

Last edited:
anyone ever get too comfortable in the help desk role?

i mean, its so chill... taking calls, sending tickets to the proper team or fixing the issue while remoting in in a temperature controlled room.

I guess the pay isnt anything too great but yea... i feel like I should start studying for my security plus now but i just started this help desk role and i dont mind it tbh.

but i have worked in desktop support for 2.5 years prior so i need to move on out of help desk/desktop support.

also, is it a good idea to get your network + before your security?

You in DC right? Well, Snap INC who took over a few contracts here (and ruined them) is out of Chantily. Northrup Grumman and Raytheon are 2 of the biggest defense contractors, they;re all over the country globe. Horizon out of Vienna hit me up for a senior systems admin. Generally it's going to be sec+ like you said but probably also a Windows 7, which they can hire you without and give you 90 days to get it. And even that rule heavily depends on the C.O.R, we had guys fail to get it for a year plus and stay on then had a pregnant chic nobody liked who tried to game the system, hit her with her pink slip on day 91.

Good looks. I've looked at some like GDIT and CSRA.

But whatever you got, post your resume on indeed and monster. About a year ago, it used to suck and you'd just get spam and what appear to be phishing attempts, but I'm getting a lot of legit offers/opportunities now just off of that (although most want me to relocate), but never a bad idea even to just know your worth out here and interview with companies/jobs you know you aren't likely to accept just to see where your value is and make sure we aren't out here selling our selves short.

Having a good understanding of basic networking will definitely help with Sec+ But the thing that stands out about when I took Sec+ was learning all the various types of Viruses.

If work is sponsoring you take Sec+, see wassup with taking Net+ too.

I feel wild stupid turning down a high visibility Northrop Grumman gig because it was lateral at the time not thinking ahead.

I`m talking technology in general

Man. Those top movers and shakers. Just milking the government.
CASH COWS
laugh.gif

Starting a minority owned small defense contractor business might be my ultimate goal , just a small slice of the pie .01% and your eating.

Know a guy with 3 small minority owned defense contractor businesses that make 18M/yr he's chilling hard .
I feel wild stupid turning down a high visibility Northrop Grumman gig because it was lateral at the time not thinking ahead.
Just apply to a bunch of positions man , you should be able to land something . Then start maneuvering .

Back
Top Bottom