Information Technology (IT)

Congrats on the pass my dude.

I just started my new gig as a contract project admin. Learning their version of Clarity now. Gon be assigned to my projects tomorrow. Totally more than what I'm used to but ready to get it.

thanks.

Congrats on the new job. We all out here trying to get it :smoking

Have you considered PMP?

Thanks b, Yea that's the plan. Going to try and take the CAPM in the fall beforehand

Congrats on the CEH pass @JayzOnMyToes  how was the exam?

Congrats to everybody in here making progress and getting closer to where they want to be 
nthat.gif

I just arrived to Japan for my overseas assignment yesterday , today will be my first day of work.

Looking to do 5-6 years overseas (coming back to the states at age 30) , so this should be an interesting chapter of my life.

I envy you. That sounds like a sweet assignment. Are you working for the government, private firm or a Japanese company?

I was on a plane today. I sat next to this woman who I discovered was a college professor. She told me her husband (who had to be in his 50s) was studying to pass the Security+. I was like by that point I'm done with the cert chasing which is why I'm going to pursue my masters. I heard the latest Security+ is more difficult.

Last edited:
Congrats on the CEH pass @JayzOnMyToes
 how was the exam?

Congrats to everybody in here making progress and getting closer to where they want to be :nthat:

I just arrived to Japan for my overseas assignment yesterday , today will be my first day of work.
Looking to do 5-6 years overseas (coming back to the states at age 30) , so this should be an interesting chapter of my life.

lol damn bruh, thought you were still in the DMV. Congrats.

I envy you. That sounds like a sweet assignment. Are you working for the government, private firm or a Japanese company?

I was on a plane today. I sat next to this woman who I discovered was a college professor. She told me her husband (who had to be in his 50s) was studying to pass the Security+. I was like by that point I'm done with the cert chasing which is why I'm going to pursue my masters. I heard the latest Security+ is more difficult.
Maybe, new dude we hired is the epitome of a goofball and he passed it on the 1st try. Granted we got tons of Pass4Sure, Professor Messer, VCE, etc. type material being passed around. I am just glad I am grandfathered into the lifetime and just have to do CEs

Yo, I feel for old dude. But then again, I've been in IT long enough whereby I have the lifetime CompTIA joints.

But honestly, I believe in giving people a shot but if someone can't legit pass Security+, I might not want him on my team. I'd probably start them off at a desktop or help desk position vice cybersecurity. We got election hackings, IoT DoS attacks, etc to have to play Jedi Master to a padwan lol.

DMV cashing in on these types of positions sadly.

A lot of contractor jobs want you to have a secret already. This sorta confuses me, like wtf am I gonna get one if everyone wants you to have one but won't sponsor you.

Thanks man , I mean I was lol until I got this job .

AZwildcats AZwildcats Thanks it's very different out here .

spiderjericho spiderjericho Thanks man, location is very remote but I think it will be good experience. I'm still with the same defense contractor company it was an internal move. The Security+ was not that hard I had to get it for this position. Just study Get Certified Get Ahead ebook and practice simulation your good to go. I studied for about 3 weeks.

A lot of contractor jobs want you to have a secret already. This sorta confuses me, like wtf am I gonna get one if everyone wants you to have one but won't sponsor you.

One of my issues job hunting right now. Seems like contract jobs requiring clearance increased, but damn near all want active.

One of my issues job hunting right now. Seems like contract jobs requiring clearance increased, but damn near all want active.

I was talking to one of my friends about it. It all depends. If your position is in demand, they'll pay for your security investigation.

Obviously a lower level position and competition are going to make it difficult to garner sponsorship.

Last edited:

Thanks man , I mean I was lol until I got this job .

AZwildcats AZwildcats Thanks it's very different out here .

spiderjericho spiderjericho Thanks man, location is very remote but I think it will be good experience. I'm still with the same defense contractor company it was an internal move. The Security+ was not that hard I had to get it for this position. Just study Get Certified Get Ahead ebook and practice simulation your good to go. I studied for about 3 weeks.

I think after this you'll be set in terms of gigs my dude. Experience abroad is major, especially when u come back speaking the language and everything. Keep us updated on the whole experience, the culture, the food, etc. when u can.

I was talking to one of my friends about it. It all depends. If your position is in demand, they'll pay for your security investigation.

Obviously a lower level position and competition are going to make it difficult to garner sponsorship.
Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to get a Secret sponsored, now a TS/SCI w/ poly that's a different story.
I think after this you'll be set in terms of gigs my dude. Experience abroad is major, especially when u come back speaking the language and everything. Keep us updated on the whole experience, the culture, the food, etc. when u can.
I think so too , I will complete my Masters out here too since there isn't much work to do .

Best case scenario I don't have to work corporate anymore after working overseas worst case I'll be a technical manager .

I don't plan on learning the language lol just a few phrases . My goal is to get to the middle east next year, but I will keep the thread updated on the experience.

Congrats on the CEH pass @JayzOnMyToes
 how was the exam?

Congrats to everybody in here making progress and getting closer to where they want to be :nthat:

sweet man I always wanted to take a contract in Japan. But ended up doing most of my over seas contract work in the middle east.

The test was challenging no lie it was more of learning the methodology of where to start when it comes to hacking knowing what tools are best to be used in certain pen testing scenarios, how to analyze a live attack with raw data happening on your network. You especially have to learn how to use NMAP EC-Council pushes you to be a guru at NMAP and the commands. Oh and learn metasploit and get familiar with kali Linux.

Yo, I feel for old dude. But then again, I've been in IT long enough whereby I have the lifetime CompTIA joints.

But honestly, I believe in giving people a shot but if someone can't legit pass Security+, I might not want him on my team. I'd probably start them off at a desktop or help desk position vice cybersecurity. We got election hackings, IoT DoS attacks, etc to have to play Jedi Master to a padwan lol.

DMV cashing in on these types of positions sadly.

I have the lifetime CompTIA's as well and they are not honored in the DOD contracting environment. But yea Sec+ may be easy to some but speaks loudly if you cant pass that test. Good thing they made It more difficult because everyone has the cert in the industry.

about the clearance thing you guys are right you have to find like some intern job in order to get these jobs to pay for your clearance investigation. I am a Vet and got mines thru DOD and eventually got picked up for an assignment that required a TS/SCI Poly had it ever since. Its something you definitely have to have in the IT contracting industry. With me going the pen testing route they always want the folks who have a thorough back ground investigation before they allow us to try to pen test their networks.

So pretty much in order to have an "active" you had to be in a secret cleared role currently correct? Don't want to get that confused with the 24 months and then your clearance is expired.

Also it can transfer correct? I thought about taking an admin job cause they were sponsoring secrets and trying to use that to get back to IT. When I leave it's done? Sorry if these are dumb questions I get a lot of different answers.

Last edited:
I really need to get out of Tier 1 support. :smh:
You and me both. I've become a mentor at my position in under a year but it's nothing remarkable. It's getting really tiring. Help me bros on the next step. I still haven't gotten any certs.

Once you leave that job they'll just stop sponsoring it so it remains valid for 10yrs so it will just be kind of out there in limbo and then your new job can just claim it and reactivate it. They are good for 10 years.

So pretty much in order to have an "active" you had to be in a secret cleared role currently correct? Don't want to get that confused with the 24 months and then your clearance is expired.

Also it can transfer correct? I thought about taking an admin job cause they were sponsoring secrets and trying to use that to get back to IT. When I leave it's done? Sorry if these are dumb questions I get a lot of different answers.

Once you leave that job they'll just stop sponsoring it so it remains valid for 10yrs so it will just be kind of out there in limbo and then your new job can just claim it and reactivate it. They are good for 10 years.

yes I would say your best bet it to take a job that is sponsoring clearances. Just take the job and once you are cleared for secret it can transfer to other agencies. Like he stated they are good for 10 and TS/SCI are good for 5. If you quit your job it just falls in a limbo state which is a good way to put it until you find another job that needs it. I would say the 2 most important things about having a clearance is don't get flagged and don't let it expire always be working when that renewal window opens.

John Wick John Wick That's wussup how long were you in the Middle East. Hoping I can get to the Middle East before the brutal winter hits here. I'm not doing anything Cyber related just System Engineering.

Yeah like everyone else said Secret 10 years, TS 5 years (my security officer says this has been pushed to 6 years) .

Yeah, they're up to six years due to the backlog.

Glad I got the TS with Poly. I wish I could get that Yankee White.

And I'd love to do two years in the Middle East after I retire just to get that house money.

Yeah, they're up to six years due to the backlog.

Glad I got the TS with Poly. I wish I could get that Yankee White.

And I'd love to do two years in the Middle East after I retire just to get that house money.

Yeah a lot of people have houses paid off back in the states here and have done a few years in the Middle East.

Why do you want a Yankee White? I thought that clearance is only needed for the White House employees.

John Wick John Wick That's wussup how long were you in the Middle East. Hoping I can get to the Middle East before the brutal winter hits here. I'm not doing anything Cyber related just System Engineering.

Yeah like everyone else said Secret 10 years, TS 5 years (my security officer says this has been pushed to 6 years) .

good move they made it 6 years I did my TS renewal not too long ago and it took just as long as the initial and I barely even updated my SF86. :x

But I was in the middle east in Qatar for a good 6 months just to stack some cash for buying a house than my wifey started stressin with me being away had to call quits. :lol:

View media item 1632777View media item 1632773
View media item 1632762View media item 1632766View media item 1632779
couple of photos I took while I was out there

Last edited:
good move they made it 6 years I did my TS renewal not too long ago and it took just as long as the initial and I barely even updated my SF86. :x

But I was in the middle east in Qatar for a good 6 months just to stack some cash for buying a house than my wifey started stressin with me being away had to call quits. :lol:

How was it living out there? With all the stuff going down in the Middle East, I'm a bit hesitant to take a job out there, but it would be nice to be able to stack some cash for a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom