Information Technology (IT)

I'd say get the certs. Most jobs here won't hire you without them or if they do you have 90 days to get them. Which isn't a bad gig honestly. One of the new guys in the office I work in is literally getting paid to pretty much just sit at his desk as "study" for the last 3 months. He passed his Sec + but still has to get a Windows 7 (70-685 or 680) and is cutting it real close. Still, even if you fail you're taking a 40 or 50k job (depending on location) for 3 months. I wouldn't want to put myself under that sort of pressure though, I was lucky to have gotten mine a long time ago and just have to keep up with C.E credits which the D.o.D basically handles for us with their annual training requirements.

I am trying to think if I want to get into this Windows 10 stuff since they got us the Skillport for it or do ITIL next.

Not directly IT I guess, but they're hiring up Blackboard admins up here lately and giving them the same or more as I make or even the actual full web design guys. I didn't know it was that difficult or lucrative

OK so I'm like 80% convinced of switching my MBA focus from media to web development management.

From what I understand this program consists of HTML, Java, SQL, and a 9 week bootcamp that includes Ruby on Rails.

I'm still early in my program and I'm registered for classes through the end of summer. The two classss I'm taking now will still go towards this new focus if I switch because it's still part of the MBA.

Presumably I still have time to switch around my classes for the two summer terms, and I'm not registered for the two fall terms yet. So this switch is sounding feasible.

Based on what I understand, this focus, which seems more secure, would net me more career opportunities than my previous academic choices. I would also develop the vital understanding of tech and web innovation that I've been thirsty about for a while now.

I already emailed my advisor but I'd like to hear opinions from people in the trenches. If you think this is a bad idea, I would like to hear your opinion :lol: from my school site I'm seeing that other topics include "Async/message-passing systems (Resque or Sidekiq), Big data and machine learning, JavaScript single-page apps (SPAs), NoSQL."

Last edited:
Depending on what you are wanting to get into, SQL and Java are of course big ones to know if you are on the dev side. Also "big data" is another buzzword that I hear all the time lately. Just like "cloud", lol

If it were me, I would switch to the Web Dev. instead of Media, but it is all in what you want to do with it in the end. Even then, that doesn't lock you to not being able to switch over to another area. My major was Info. Tech. with a concentration in Web Dev. and I never used it
laugh.gif
. At the most, I came out writing SQL Stored Procedures for some custom SharePoint workflows we had and some mock-up websites on another project, but I used the Adobe Suite for that stuff.

I went the Integration/Systems side of the house and granted, me at least being familiar with code has helped me with debugging (another dev
laugh.gif
) their program or at least opening it up and figuring out what is going on with something I am trying to get working.

Moving forward though, automation and scripting is really picking up with many phases of IT, so knowing scripting/dev is definitely worth knowing for damn near everyone now. 

PowerShell, Puppet, & Chef are some of the ones we have started using and what some of my friends have been asked about in interviews and stuff. 

OK so I'm like 80% convinced of switching my MBA focus from media to web development management.

From what I understand this program consists of HTML, Java, SQL, and a 9 week bootcamp that includes Ruby on Rails.

I'm still early in my program and I'm registered for classes through the end of summer. The two classss I'm taking now will still go towards this new focus if I switch because it's still part of the MBA.

Presumably I still have time to switch around my classes for the two summer terms, and I'm not registered for the two fall terms yet. So this switch is sounding feasible.

Based on what I understand, this focus, which seems more secure, would net me more career opportunities than my previous academic choices. I would also develop the vital understanding of tech and web innovation that I've been thirsty about for a while now.

I already emailed my advisor but I'd like to hear opinions from people in the trenches. If you think this is a bad idea, I would like to hear your opinion :lol: from my school site I'm seeing that other topics include "Async/message-passing systems (Resque or Sidekiq), Big data and machine learning, JavaScript single-page apps (SPAs), NoSQL."

I say go for it bruh. Learning Java and SQL are big, especially Java since that's an important language to many employers. Web development isn't difficult to learn. Only things that may be challenging is Java and JavaScript, JS is just so damn random at times though it's actually not. It's like it makes sense but doesn't make sense :lol:

Appreciate the input. My advisor provided me with more info about the program.

Essentially, instead of a 36 credit MBA track like I'm doing now, I would only take 27 credits through the school and then the 9 week coding bootcamp--which is good for 9 credits. Here's the 9 week breakdown:

Computer Science and Ruby Introduction
The Basics of Computer Programming
Understanding Object Oriented Programming
Intro to Web Programming
Front End Development
Dynamic Web Development
Understanding Databases
Project and Product Management
Advanced Ruby on Rails Topics

From what I've read online, the bootcamp is incredibly effective for those who power through it, and the job placement/networking tools offered are extensive if you put in the work. One of my short term goals is to live in northern California and it seems that getting a gig out there is within the realm of possibility for "survivors" of the program. Even though the actual mission of the program is to cultivate the tech scene in my area, so the placement/networking opportunities seem stronger out here.

The biggest snag is cost. My current MBA track would cost me around 26k. The Web Dev MBA would be around 30k total. But the problem is that I pay the university separately for the 27 credits like I normally would (so total around 19/20k) and then pay the bootcamp 10k.

My goal is to finish the 27 credits and be in the bootcamp near the end of this year. So instead of doing loans for both, I'm gonna try to pay for the MBA stuff with loans and then have enough saved where I can pay as much out of pocket for the bootcamp as possible.

The bootcamp is intensive and they highly recommend you don't hold down a job while doing it :lol: the struggle is real. Think I'm gonna go for it. All I gotta do is save

Last edited:
I agree with Wright , take the Web Development track . The courses don't look bad either .

Last edited:
Depending on what you are wanting to get into, SQL and Java are of course big ones to know if you are on the dev side. Also "big data" is another buzzword that I hear all the time lately. Just like "cloud", lol

If it were me, I would switch to the Web Dev. instead of Media, but it is all in what you want to do with it in the end. Even then, that doesn't lock you to not being able to switch over to another area. My major was Info. Tech. with a concentration in Web Dev. and I never used it:lol: . At the most, I came out writing SQL Stored Procedures for some custom SharePoint workflows we had and some mock-up websites on another project, but I used the Adobe Suite for that stuff.

I went the Integration/Systems side of the house and granted, me at least being familiar with code has helped me with debugging (another dev :lol: ) their program or at least opening it up and figuring out what is going on with something I am trying to get working.

Moving forward though, automation and scripting is really picking up with many phases of IT, so knowing scripting/dev is definitely worth knowing for damn near everyone now. 

PowerShell, Puppet, & Chef are some of the ones we have started using and what some of my friends have been asked about in interviews and stuff. 

Puppet and chef use python right?

Graduating this may with a degree in Industrial Engineering, got a job at Accenture (ACN) as a Tech Analyst Consulting, my salary not including OT and bonuses is 70k.

While working at ACN i won't t develop some skills that would help me develop more tech skills, is a DBA camp a good route for starters ?

Career fair later today. Looking for an internship. Any general tips?

Have your resume on point, solid handshake w/ eye contact. Feel out the person's vibe, most are there to push you to their website or even get u to consider a position lower than what you're worth. Unless u have a lot of exp (min 3yr) most will brush u off.

Take as many free pens and bags as u can :lol:

Have your resume on point, solid handshake w/ eye contact. Feel out the person's vibe, most are there to push you to their website or even get u to consider a position lower than what you're worth. Unless u have a lot of exp (min 3yr) most will brush u off.

Take as many free pens and bags as u can :lol:
Facts. Went to one at last minute a few years ago and dudes were basically trying to tell me to start from scratch. :rofl:. His dopey *** didn't even know schift

Last edited:
teleworking is one of the greatest perks to a job man...

Been teleworking all this week cause our office is moving 1 floor down.. gonna miss it lol.

But if I can show my manager that I can get the same amount of work done at home by the 6 month mark, i can telework twice a week,

easily one of the best perks for my job. all my colleagues telework twice a week and they love it.

teleworking is one of the greatest perks to a job man...

Been teleworking all this week cause our office is moving 1 floor down.. gonna miss it lol.

But if I can show my manager that I can get the same amount of work done at home by the 6 month mark, i can telework twice a week,

easily one of the best perks for my job. all my colleagues telework twice a week and they love it.

My old job I worked remote 3 days a week lol. Easy way to get fat because even with my going to the gym during lunch, you arent walking around an office and stuff like that.

Ok so update on my current plans of study: I am currently finishing up my business foundation classes ( Accounting, Business Law, Micro Econ, Comp Sci 1) and next semester am starting my major specific courses (App development, Data management, Networks and infrastructure, Business communication, Principles of finance). Right now I am doing doing ok with the material in all my classes except COMP SCI! It's giving me such a hard time and I wanna pull my hair out. Do you think my struggles in this class mean I cant succeed as an IS major? For the rest of my time until graduation, it seems the only coding/programming related class I have left is Application Development. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ok so update on my current plans of study: I am currently finishing up my business foundation classes ( Accounting, Business Law, Micro Econ, Comp Sci 1) and next semester am starting my major specific courses (App development, Data management, Networks and infrastructure, Business communication, Principles of finance). Right now I am doing doing ok with the material in all my classes except COMP SCI! It's giving me such a hard time and I wanna pull my hair out. Do you think my struggles in this class mean I cant succeed as an IS major? For the rest of my time until graduation, it seems the only coding/programming related class I have left is Application Development. Any suggestions are appreciated.

What are your career goals? You might have mentioned em before and I overlooked em but knowing that would help.

What are your career goals? You might have mentioned em before and I overlooked em but knowing that would help.
Well I want to work in some sort of IT field, and I was deciding whether CS or IS would be a better fit for me. I know IS is more application of a program while CS is actually writing/making a program. But with my difficulties in Comp Sci1, I think IS is definitely a better fit for me. I have a few internship interviews this week and next so hopefully I can experience a real-world situation where I can find my comfort zone. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there that had/is in a similar situation.

Well I want to work in some sort of IT field, and I was deciding whether CS or IS would be a better fit for me. I know IS is more application of a program while CS is actually writing/making a program. But with my difficulties in Comp Sci1, I think IS is definitely a better fit for me. I have a few internship interviews this week and next so hopefully I can experience a real-world situation where I can find my comfort zone. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there that had/is in a similar situation.

Ok, makes sense. I'm kinda in the same boat, I didn't go to school for CS though but have self-taught myself through various resources. Understanding languages to work with them and understanding them to work in them are two different thing and u find that out as time goes on. I can rock w/ basic languages but JS and the more difficult ones start to get tedious, so I switched my focus to a career where I can understand them enough to work w/ them in a different capacity (project management).

I said all that to say this, you will find what you are good at and capable of in time. U might not get it now, but the internships may help u figure out what you're good at. IT is a vast field so don't be discourage, just keep grinding it out.

Also, try, if you can to relate what you're learning to a topic you are interested in like sports, politics, etc. u find a parallel and they can help you understand the language better.

What location are you interested in?

They have some "hot jobs" posted they are looking to hire quickly, and a few months ago they changed the referral bonus to be paid out in the following pay period from their hire date instead of waiting 30,60,90 days 
eek.gif
I live in Crystal City, so anywhere around the DC area/Arlington area.

I'm currently in a helpdesk position for an account payables software company at the moment. I'm just looking for that next level position so I can receive more experience in the IT field.

Congrats on the pass.

I've been enrolled in the Cisco Cybersecurity Ops curriculum. I'd say it's comparable to CEH surprisingly. There are three courses and two tests. I'm a little over half way in the first. It covers the different UDP, TCP attacks, dabs (always) in Kali, etc.

My only gripe is the amount of time it takes to slog through a chapter. I also don't like the lab setup they have.

At first I was like what was the point of this certification but it seems to have a value. I'd hate to see what the professional and expert level certifications were like. They could possibly create a defensive equivalent of the OSCP/OSCE.

Congrats on the pass.

I've been enrolled in the Cisco Cybersecurity Ops curriculum. I'd say it's comparable to CEH surprisingly. There are three courses and two tests. I'm a little over half way in the first. It covers the different UDP, TCP attacks, dabs (always) in Kali, etc.

My only gripe is the amount of time it takes to slog through a chapter. I also don't like the lab setup they have.

At first I was like what was the point of this certification but it seems to have a value. I'd hate to see what the professional and expert level certifications were like. They could possibly create a defensive equivalent of the OSCP/OSCE.

thanks. Never heard of the Cisco CS curriculum. I'm looking at tackling CCNA Sec tho just because I want it. I'm currently in ECSA and its quite difficult.

Congrats on the pass my dude.

I just started my new gig as a contract project admin. Learning their version of Clarity now. Gon be assigned to my projects tomorrow. Totally more than what I'm used to but ready to get it.

thanks.

Congrats on the new job. We all out here trying to get it :smoking

Have you considered PMP?

Back
Top Bottom