Information Technology (IT)

Applied for what I thought was a Sys Admin job on USA Jobs. Had the interview earlier this week and it was a damn “knowledge manager” position. Basically making KBA’s and SOP’s threw me for a loop. I was able to wing it and felt like it went pretty well but I don’t think I wanna be a technical writer. I prefer being hands on and actually technical. Money is good so I’d actually consider it plus I’d be moving from contract to Fed.

It’s a pretty repetitive job. Once you see the issues a few times you’ll pick up on them. You can’t really prepare too much.
Yeah, I figured. I used to do verizon fios Int, phone, and vid… But that was like 10 years ago. Haha

ive never dealt with mil, they have cac cards and all these protocols. Haha.

Applied for what I thought was a Sys Admin job on USA Jobs. Had the interview earlier this week and it was a damn “knowledge manager” position. Basically making KBA’s and SOP’s threw me for a loop. I was able to wing it and felt like it went pretty well but I don’t think I wanna be a technical writer. I prefer being hands on and actually technical. Money is good so I’d actually consider it plus I’d be moving from contract to Fed.

I took a Tech Writer position disguised as a "Business analyst" on a fed contract and to confirm, good money/easy job but futile work...

wouldn't mind as much if management stopped trying to spin this as anything but their obvious busy work from their fridge/freezer :lol:

Last edited:
It’s a pretty repetitive job. Once you see the issues a few times you’ll pick up on them. You can’t really prepare too much.
Concur, also you will come across new solutions with more experience. Just stay engaged and you will be fine.
Yeah, I figured. I used to do verizon fios Int, phone, and vid… But that was like 10 years ago. Haha

ive never dealt with mil, they have cac cards and all these protocols. Haha.
Word I use to do Verizon Avenue tech support back in the day, basically Verizon Fios for apartment communities.

I took a Tech Writer position disguised as a "Business analyst" on a fed contract and to confirm, good money/easy job but futile work...

wouldn't mind as much if management stopped trying to spin this as anything but their obvious busy work from their fridge/freezer :lol:
You guys better than me, I am a horrible writer. Had one job manager would tear my writing to shreds, you shouldn't use this word order. I wish Grammerly was bigger back then, 80% of the stuff I type I paste into Grammerly and then send out.

You guys better than me, I am a horrible writer. Had one job manager would tear my writing to shreds, you shouldn't use this word order. I wish Grammerly was bigger back then, 80% of the stuff I type I paste into Grammerly and then send out.

I don't mind writing but when no one wants to validate content, yet I am asked to present during sprint reviews, **** gets irritating...thank whatever higher power I am decent with Visio/Lucid Chart for process mapping, and PowerPoint for screenshots :lol:

wikis are where ideas go to die since no one uses them. I could put random **** in our user guides/knowledge bases, and closeout Jira tickets that I created.

realized I'm venting a bit, likely time to start looking for a new role :lol:

Last edited:
I don't mind writing but when no one wants to validate content, yet I am asked to present during sprint reviews, **** gets irritating...thank whatever higher power I am decent with Visio/Lucid Chart for process mapping, and PowerPoint for screenshots :lol:

wikis are where ideas go to die since no one uses them. I could put random **** in our user guides/knowledge bases, and closeout Jira tickets that I created.

realized I'm venting a bit, likely time to start looking for a new role :lol:
Concur looking for a low stress evening shift, would love remote. Evening job trippin trippin. Sent out an email without even getting my side of the story. Person who they did speak with was just caught in another lie the same day. :smh:

Guys on the team are like WTF up with our supervisor, didn't check with us first.

Finally had an interview worth while today. An opportunity to do some things that I've already done and also an opportunity to do some things I been asking previous companies to allow me do and failing. Interview went great and they've asked me to come in to the office next week for a tour. I'll take the pay cut to get the experience I've been trying to get for the past few years it seem.

I'll take the pay cut to get the experience I've been trying to get for the past few years it seem.
martin-lawrence-no.gif

welp I was right.

got duped into the "lead" role interview but really it was just for a technician role SMH.

killed the interview easily and when I asked about the Lead responsibility they said things changed and right now theyre looking for techs.. but they said eventually one of the techs will be promoted to a lead..

:smh:

let me hurry up and pass this A+ exam and get the ball moving

When I first interviewed for what was expected to be a typical help desk job, the one I have now, the interviewer told me that it wasn't a help desk position. It was a position for EDI. Something I had no interest in. I don't know about any other fields but it seems to be a lot of deception when it comes to landing IT jobs. It feels all too common.

so i just went through all of Prof Messer A+ videos and took all practice tests on examcompass.

do yall think thats enough for me to take the A+ exam or is there another resource i should be using?

No clue. Depends on your experience with computers.

When I took the A+, I had never built a computer and it was prior to my second deployment and real help desk experience.

If you’ve done both of the above and work with printers, etc. You should be fine. CompTIA exams are process of elimination. If you know it, you can easily pick the right or wrong answer out.

passed the AWS Cloud Practitioner exam today...easy enough if folks want a relatively, cheap cert as a resume filler

dunno if I should request reimbursement from my company considering it will take months before they even review :lol:
What did you study, thinking about getting into Cloud stuff? Might as well ask for it and get the process started sooner than later, if they require you to stay a certain amount of time then get it done.

passed the AWS Cloud Practitioner exam today...easy enough if folks want a relatively, cheap cert as a resume filler

dunno if I should request reimbursement from my company considering it will take months before they even review :lol:

Congrats G :pimp: ,
Started studying for it a few weeks ago, did a few practice tests and it didn't seem too hard. Plan on taking it in the beginning of January.

Last edited:
Interviewed for a “Systems Administration/Customer Support” role for a IRS, fed position. At first it seemed like another trap like y’all mentioned where it’s actually front line. But got a call back and it’s actually system admin position but would handle escalations which isn’t out the norm. Still waiting to hear back from the KBA/SOP job before I lock in. I heard with the IRS background there’s a good chance you can get audited :lol:

Interviewed for a “Systems Administration/Customer Support” role for a IRS, fed position. At first it seemed like another trap like y’all mentioned where it’s actually front line. But got a call back and it’s actually system admin position but would handle escalations which isn’t out the norm. Still waiting to hear back from the KBA/SOP job before I lock in. I heard with the IRS background there’s a good chance you can get audited :lol:
Best of luck.

Had my 2nd interview today and ended up spending 2.5 hours in the office with the IT manager and 2 system admins from their office in Plano, TX. Felt more casual than anything else and the floor they reside on is pretty damn nice. Just sent a thank you for note for them to the recruiter. Fingers crossed at this point and prayers sent up!

Is there a good amount of networking concepts and knowledge included in the study materials and test?

Is there a good amount of networking concepts and knowledge included in the study materials and test?

not as much...

much of the test was specific to AWS apps/services, security/identity and access management, benefits of cloud computing for costs, elasticity, fault tolerance, and such...

lotta questions regarding cost models for compute instances - on-demand, reserves, spot instances - important to know the difference

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom