Information Technology (IT)

Bowie to Meade wasn't too bad if you left at the right time. Pentagon was always a nightmare.

Most people I know recommend just taking the train in.

I’d rather that then the commute I do now. I’m literally working down the street from Ft. Myer coming from Upper Marlboro :sick:
I always disliked Myers such a weird base, like blink and you would miss it. Don't think I ever worked on that base. My thing is I'm trying to find a telecommute spot in the evening. Spoke with someone earlier today about a position in Quantico but during the day.

I always disliked Myers such a weird base, like blink and you would miss it. Don't think I ever worked on that base. My thing is I'm trying to find a telecommute spot in the evening. Spoke with someone earlier today about a position in Quantico but during the day.
I’m trying to find some telecommutes as well, my friend sent me a full time remote gig for a senior sys admin. I know for a fact I don’t have the experience to qualify as a senior sys admin but if anybody wants to apply let me know and I can forward you the info

Definitely love those recruiters that ask you about jobs in other states. Recruiter asked me about a position in Michigan, bro I'm in VA.

So I got demoted from my position as a queue manager at the service desk and now I'm back on calls...

Basically a VIP ticket came in for assistance and I sent it to desktop support rather than assigning it to a service desk agent.

My reason was this was on a Monday after a 4 day weekend (Thanksgiving) and all service desk agents had too many tickets assigned to them already.

Keep in mind we support a campus of over 100k federal.employees and contractors so the volume was extra crazy that Monday.

Desktop support bounces the ticket to 3 different techs with zero work notes

They then send it to tier 3 support (wtf?!)

Manager sees this and somehow says I was the problem :stoneface:

Said I should've still assigned it to a service desk agent..

Feel like a scapegoat cause the manager has no power over desktop support side so he just decides to blame me.

These managers are so clueless and out of touch with IT. They just read numbers all day but don't know anything about what actually goes on inside of the service desk.

I'm so ready to leave.

/Rant

So I got demoted from my position as a queue manager at the service desk and now I'm back on calls...

Basically a VIP ticket came in for assistance and I sent it to desktop support rather than assigning it to a service desk agent.

My reason was this was on a Monday after a 4 day weekend (Thanksgiving) and all service desk agents had too many tickets assigned to them already.

Keep in mind we support a campus of over 100k federal.employees and contractors so the volume was extra crazy that Monday.

Feel like a scapegoat cause the manager has no power over desktop support side so he just decides to blame me.

These managers are so clueless and out of touch with IT. They just read numbers all day but don't know anything about what actually goes on inside of the service desk.

I'm so ready to leave.

/Rant
Yeah man go on ahead and refresh that resume on Monster.

Yeah **** is awful. Used to spend 2 hrs in traffic sometimes and the fam would wonder why I didn't want to do ****.

I'm so ready to leave.

/Rant
Politely tell them to **** themselves by landing a new gig.

Had my “first issue” with a user. Luckily my boss knew what was up with that person. Known troublemaker. These people try to bully you over the phone and start tellin when you give them back the same energy. About 4 more months and ✌🏿

Update*

Got an interview for a lead position at another service desk. :pimp:

It'll be a position where I manage a team of 30 employees..

Kinda nervous for this interview since it's been years since I had one.

Anyone know the best way to answer "how much were you looking for in terms of salary?"

Yeah **** is awful. Used to spend 2 hrs in traffic sometimes and the fam would wonder why I didn't want to do ****.
Just had a luncheon with some of my coworkers, one said he was driving from the south side of Richmond to Springfield. Dude said it was 2 hours each way, eventually got a Tesla. Loaded up the movies and shows and chilled in the driver seat. LOL.

To me sending the VIP ticket to desktop is the right thing.
Oh no you going to hear about it, if you know it's a VIP best bet is handle it personally. Can't let someone screw that one up, or give it to your top performer. Even still this never should of came back on OP, someone just pushing **** down hill. On your exit interview be sure to let them know that is why I got a new job. I wouldn't be surprised if upper management wasn't aware of the demotion.

Update*

Anyone know the best way to answer "how much were you looking for in terms of salary?"
Easy money. Easy money.
OVdjj6.gif

How much were you looking to pay for the position? What is the salary range for the position? Unfortunately I haven't been in the job market for quite some time so I don't know the going rate. What is the going rate for this position based off my skills and qualifications.

Whenever I get a job call, my goal is always beat them to the money question first.

First so that they aren't wasting my time telling me location, contract length, benefits, or none of that. I don't care about any of that if the pay is trash.

Second so that I don't risk shooting myself in the foot first aiming to low, when the cap is much higher.

Third in case I already spoke to another recruiter about the position and they offered more. I will play the two sometimes three against each other, settling on the one with the best benefits.

Funny just had an Indian woman call me about a position, she asked me the salary. I turned the question back around, all of a sudden we got disconnected. I laughed it off, call must have been shadowed by someone more senior and they were like don't tell him how much we can really pay him.

My interview on Friday so I'll update y'all.

Reading the job description more carefully and it says it's for a lead position but I ain't seeing no "lead" responsibilities.... :smh: :nerd: :stoneface:

Might have gotten duped into this interview but we'll see Friday

That's a punching bag role so just make sure the pay will be comfortable. Don't tell them your current pay. I'd look up somewhere like Glassdoor to see what the company pays for similar roles or what other similar companies are paying in the area.

yea if its just the same **** as here idk if i'll take it. They def gotta be offering a lot more than what I make here

Update*

managing and team of 30!???
Total comp needs to be at a minimum 210k

At least that’s what a level 63/64 support engineering manager would pull in at Microsoft.

I haven't updated my status in here in a while.

Again, I've had my Sec+ for like a year plus now. I also took some courses on Net+ and CCNA. I personally do not like networking. I like the concept of it, but it's just not me. But man, looking at these cloud positions it seems like a requirement.

Anyways:

I finally landed a role as "Computer Application Analyst" < Hyped up title but it's pretty much Desktop support for Military medical staff.

My focus is still Python and getting Data Structures & Algo down, or Cyber Sec, or cloud. LOL

But the job I just got is to start adding to my career resume, and the learn.

Cliffs:

I landed my first IT role.

Also, Does anyone have any good articles or any type of reading material on bettering trouble shooting skills.

I've done tech support before, but while shadowing, a lot of these solutions are beyond me at times. I still have a couple weeks of training in which I'll learn more. But I'm trying to get a jump on things.

Also, Does anyone have any good articles or any type of reading material on bettering trouble shooting skills.

I've done tech support before, but while shadowing, a lot of these solutions are beyond me at times. I still have a couple weeks of training in which I'll learn more. But I'm trying to get a jump on things.
It’s a pretty repetitive job. Once you see the issues a few times you’ll pick up on them. You can’t really prepare too much.

Back
Top Bottom