Information Technology (IT)

Anybody here familiar with WGU ?
I also got a BS from there back in 2013. Not a bad program if you’re older or trying to check a box.
Yep....I got my degree from here in December 2020. Great program. Allowed me to pick up some certs.

OAN, I landed a new position as a OPS Team Lead. Finally moving away from Desktop and over to the Operations side of things.
I had a lot of certs prior to starting and it helped waive a lot of curriculum. I wish they waived more for stuff like CISSP, CCIE, etc.

I wonder what the real reason is all these tech companies are cutting so many jobs and all seem to be in unison. They don’t have an issue with profits.

I wonder what the real reason is all these tech companies are cutting so many jobs and all seem to be in unison. They don’t have an issue with profits.

On the engineering side, and I think in general too, tech companies way over hired following the upward trend/spike in revenue and profits leading up to, and especially during COVID. This is a natural correction.

They also trying hella to consolidate a lot of jobs into one person. I kept telling this one lady who interviewed me last week, “yes i have an intermediate understanding of splunk (or cisco routers or sql or jira or cybersecurity auditing or linux) but it wasnt my primary role. That was a whole *** nother person.”

Look at this long *** questionaire one company sent me. Couldnt you just ask me these questions, the relevant ones anyways, when we interview. Making me jump through hoops for no reason, they want me to send them this first to audition for the right to be interviewed and probably get asked the same *** questions again.

F3C83FE4-EE3D-425F-B690-D3061E57C6BC.png

Look at this long *** questionaire one company sent me. Couldnt you just ask me these questions, the relevant ones anyways, when we interview. Making me jump through hoops for no reason, they want me to send them this first to audition for the right to be interviewed and probably get asked the same *** questions again.

these are good interview questions for folks to practice tbh

Literally just seen this on Twitter.

Just one company but illustrates the lengthy upward trend, then sudden spike, then relatively minor correction.

1674102448890.png

what’s the point of this? Can’t candidates just Google the answers for the questions they don’t know? :lol:

Reactions: 17
Crazy day yesterday, but everything happens for a reason is my belief. I make it in to work only to be pulled in to be the HR officer office and told my position has been eliminated. Crazy part is that I was waiting for my offer letter to arrive from the new company along with drug testing and background to submit my 2 week notice. Best part is that I was granted 13 weeks of severance. New gig will be calling today to finalize everything and I should be starting on 1/30. Got paid to leave and start a new greater opportunity with more $ as well.

Should I research the ones I dont know and keep it a buck and leave some blank and go off the top
This seems to be the interview questions they'll be asking you tbh. I would research them and then rehearse them in your own way.
I like when companies do this and make it easy on the candidate

Not surprised with these big corporations like Microsoft, HP, etc doing layoffs. This has been going on for nearly 30 years or longer. The problem is these work places don't have work unions to provide some protection against stuff like this. These companies don't care about you and will go through layoff period like this or out source jobs and it's mainly because they don't offer or want to pay 401k's, pensions, or benefits.

These companies don’t understand that IT is a foundational part of any modern business

What happens is they lay people off, **** starts breaking, they hire people to fix it, they may or may not fix issues, issues eventually get fixed and the cycle happens again.

As heralded IT careers seem to be, we don’t get much respect. At my company, every department received raises last year after great profits for the year, except us.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think people realize how often tech lays people off. My company does it almost every year, sometimes they get severance, sometimes they switch them to contractors etc.

I shutdown my linkedin profile over 5 years ago.

One of the best moves I made. That site is a joke and worthless.

One of the best structures i've seen was I worked at a place whose main bread and butter was sales and every single position got points on the monthly sales. Wasn't crazy, like 70-200 depending on how good a month but it was appreciated.

Maaan, Microsoft was where I was trying to land. Have a buddy that lives there and he kept talking about employment hiring freezes. And then you see stuff like that. But it’s still confusing with them rolling out that AI.

But we are in an economic downturn with insane inflation.

These companies don’t understand that IT is a foundational part of any modern business

What happens is they lay people off, **** starts breaking, they hire people to fix it, they may or may not fix issues, issues eventually get fixed and the cycle happens again.

As heralded IT careers seem to be, we don’t get much respect. At my company, every department received raises last year after great profits for the year, except us.
Oh yea did that make y’all feel worthless or less than what you guys are able to accomplish vs said others that may deserve it Idk but there’s always an unfairness that happens you guys can seek legal matters if you feel cheated out of that pay

Back
Top Bottom