Information Technology (IT)

What ar you guys thoughts on Masters of Science in Software Engineering? Is it worth my time or is the only masters that matters in IT an MBA?

I would like to know as well. What do people think is the best route to go with Master's programs? 

I got a buddy who got out of the military last year. He was a 25B. He had the Sec+, Net+, OSCP and OSWP (or whatever it's called). He lives in Tampa coming out he was getting more than $100K. After half a year, he's jumped to another positron for around $175.

It all depends on experience, skill set, education/certifications and connections.

I was offered a $150K job in Tampa to be a voice Enginner. But that's not me.

I got a buddy who got out of the military last year. He was a 25B. He had the Sec+, Net+, OSCP and OSWP (or whatever it's called). He lives in Tampa coming out he was getting more than $100K. After half a year, he's jumped to another positron for around $175.

It all depends on experience, skill set, education/certifications and connections.

I was offered a $150K job in Tampa to be a voice Enginner. But that's not me.

Man I'm born and raised in Tampa and I just got out the military and I was a 25B I got a TS with poly and a+ net + sec + and never been offered a job for 100k where is these jobs u speak of

Man I'm born and raised in Tampa and I just got out the military and I was a 25B I got a TS with poly and a+ net + sec + and never been offered a job for 100k where is these jobs u speak of
You can get that in the DC area lol. Never knew tampa had high paying jobs like that. Very interesting...

@JayzOnMyToes  If you have a good amount of experience im sure you are making a good amount. How many years of experience did you have and how high of a rank is a 25B (just curious)? I have a friend that is 26yr old making 110K in DC, thats no lie. I guess it all just depends.

You feel me! I got MCSA: Server 2012 and Office 365, Sec+,A+, and a Secret. Can't get a job here at Macdill talking about you need a TS. Im over here on that unemployed line. Got me over here switching to be a developer.

Well...you do kind of need that TS...unless you're a highly sought after candidate.

And it all depends on the role/skills. I laugh hard at these "project managers" in demand. Some don't even have PMP. Saw two guys go from a laptop and desktop technician to project managers thanks to getting PMP and knowing a few people. One spring boarded to a PM for Nielsen making well over six.

Know another dude got his CCIE. Easy 6. Problem is he can't stay at a job for very long, lol. He's in high demand though. Like I said it's all about your skills, experience, education and who you know.

I mean having a MCSA, Sec+, Net+ and A+ and nothing to sneeze at but I'm not really following standard system admin jobs. I'm sure a system admin with Red Hat and Linux + and Microsoft and VMWare can command a decent salary.

As far as the clearance goes, I'd just take whatever IT job in the interim just to get the clearance...

Well...you do kind of need that TS...unless you're a highly sought after candidate.

And it all depends on the role/skills. I laugh hard at these "project managers" in demand. Some don't even have PMP. Saw two guys go from a laptop and desktop technician to project managers thanks to getting PMP and knowing a few people. One spring boarded to a PM for Nielsen making well over six.

Know another dude got his CCIE. Easy 6. Problem is he can't stay at a job for very long, lol. He's in high demand though. Like I said it's all about your skills, experience, education and who you know.

I mean having a MCSA, Sec+, Net+ and A+ and nothing to sneeze at but I'm not really following standard system admin jobs. I'm sure a system admin with Red Hat and Linux + and Microsoft and VMWare can command a decent salary.

As far as the clearance goes, I'd just take whatever IT job in the interim just to get the clearance...
Them cats in networking getting paid. Its just been one big eye opening transition for me. I thought with my experience and certs I would be working right now. But yea most of the on base jobs i interviewed for works in the skiff from what I was told. So a Secret is a no go. And only person I know that could get me anywhere is my boy from Microsoft, but he said they looking for SCCM people. It would take some time to get to a 200 level. I going to try this developer path. Its pretty so far. I just gotta get a entry level position.

@JayzOnMyToes
 If you have a good amount of experience im sure you are making a good amount. How many years of experience did you have and how high of a rank is a 25B (just curious)? I have a friend that is 26yr old making 110K in DC, thats no lie. I guess it all just depends.

I wasn't that high of a rank I was a junior nco and I'm 25... But we all know you damn near can get any salary in DC but 110 is good money but not for this city.. what is your boy doing in DC making 110?

Them cats in networking getting paid. Its just been one big eye opening transition for me. I thought with my experience and certs I would be working right now. But yea most of the on base jobs i interviewed for works in the skiff from what I was told. So a Secret is a no go. And only person I know that could get me anywhere is my boy from Microsoft, but he said they looking for SCCM people. It would take some time to get to a 200 level. I going to try this developer path. Its pretty so far. I just gotta get a entry level position.

Was these contract jobs you interviewed for? What is all needed for making the developer switch? I moved out of Tampa for more job opportunity but DC And NOVA just too expensive and I'm considering going back to Florida

No offense but you didn't tell me anything I didn't know already.. My question was what is your boy doing in Tampa making that much? The cost of living is so low in Tampa if your boy making 175 he better be driving a Porsche or something! I don't even see how you can get that much in Tampa with not even having some sort of degree in that field.. That's doctor money..

You keep naming all these people making 6 figs.. did you see a offer letter from these jobs?

I'm just curious that's all..

And PMP is a joke! It's nothing but a supervisor position. That's the reason they get higher salaries ..

@JayzOnMyToes  he does IT consulting at Booz. Crazy thing is he didn't even have to move around to get that offer. He was currently as Booz looking for other opportunities , got a few offers 100K-105K and told Booz he was going to leave and they counter offered to keep him for 110K.

I would be happy as hell to be at 110K by 26 lol I would have no complaints, hopefully I can finesse something like that.

I feel like looking for other opportunities every few years is the only way you can keep up with a fair salary starting out.

Last edited:
@JayzOnMyToes
 he does IT consulting at Booz. Crazy thing is he didn't even have to move around to get that offer. He was currently as Booz looking for other opportunities , got a few offers 100K-105K and told Booz he was going to leave and they counter offered to keep him for 110K.

I would be happy as hell to be at 110K by 26 lol I would have no complaints, hopefully I can finesse something like that.
I feel like looking for other opportunities every few years is the only way you can keep up with a fair salary starting out.

Where do you reside?

No offense but you didn't tell me anything I didn't know already.. My question was what is your boy doing in Tampa making that much? The cost of living is so low in Tampa if your boy making 175 he better be driving a Porsche or something! I don't even see how you can get that much in Tampa with not even having some sort of degree in that field.. That's doctor money..

You keep naming all these people making 6 figs.. did you see a offer letter from these jobs?

I'm just curious that's all..

And PMP is a joke! It's nothing but a supervisor position. That's the reason they get higher salaries ..

The one making $175K does security and pen testing. So just to go reiterate, I said one was a project manager, one was a CCIE and the other was an exceptional security consultant. These are more exception to the rules. Most of the other people in IT I know in the area make between $40,000-$100,000. It just depends on your credentials and skills.

And I don't see how PMP is a joke. The certification is well respected. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a project manager. But my current supervisor is super gung-ho 50 year old that's all about initiatives and projects and aggressively seein them to the end.

Last edited:
The one making $175K does security and pen testing. So just to go reiterate, I said one was a project manager, one was a CCIE and the other was an exceptional security consultant. These are more exception to the rules. Most of the other people in IT I know in the area make between $40,000-$100,000. It just depends on your credentials and skills.

And I don't see how PMP is a joke. The certification is well respected. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a project manager. But my current supervisor is super gung-ho 50 year old that's all about initiatives and projects and aggressively seein them to the end.

not bad Im focused on security too.. But he's the first person I heard of with oswp and that other one.. But 175 is a lot for such certs..

What company is this if I may ask?

not bad Im focused on security too.. But he's the first person I heard of with oswp and that other one.. But 175 is a lot for such certs..

What company is this if I may ask?

I've heard that oswp is hard to get since it's not multiple choice like most certs. You have to crack into 4 different wireless networks and get the encryption keys.

He probably told me the company but I don't remember. I really didn't care. And the OSCP and OSWP falls into the same category as RHCSA, RHCSE, CCIE and Linux Foundation of lab based exams.

He's a smart kid. In his off time, he programs and scratches his curiosity in IT security.

And it's not just for certs. He has a TS, 12+ years in the Army, etc. He separated as an E7. I was surprised he got out. He chose a higher salary versus the guaranteed military retirement. But he's doing well for himself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom