Information Technology (IT)

It has been a little over a month since I started, about 4 hours a day. I feel like I am prepared, but looking at the exam topic list there are some things I need to practice like ipv6 addressing and routing protocols. For $150, I better pass this thing :lol:

How was the exam? :nerd:

I'm starting to study for the ccent now and might do A+ simultaneously.

Last edited:
Hello All

Just an update for my side. Successfully launched ServiceNow for the company last week from ServiceDesk+. It wasn't that bad, still tweaking it but its mostly data uploads that is wrong. Steep learning curve but overall a good experience. To those who is an system admin....how much should i ask for a raise? They promise me a raise when i took this role and now that is officially launched, i think i have some leverage to ask for more or atleast market competitive. Thanks in advance!

It has been a little over a month since I started, about 4 hours a day. I feel like I am prepared, but looking at the exam topic list there are some things I need to practice like ipv6 addressing and routing protocols. For $150, I better pass this thing :lol:

How was the exam? :nerd:

I'm starting to study for the ccent now and might do A+ simultaneously.

Haven't taken it yet, I'm getting cold feet over here. I need to just man up and take it

Haven't taken it yet, I'm getting cold feet over here. I need to just man up and take it
Just brush up on the topics and review the ones you said you haven't covered. Schedule a date and go pass the exam. I almost rescheduled my exam, because I was getting nervous kept trying to talk myself out of it.

Y'all are right. I'm gonna study hard this week since I have the Thanksgiving break and take the test next week. I still have to study for the CCNA after 
frown.gif

Anyone familiar with Udemy online videos? A co-worker recommended the CCNA bootcamp offered on there. For $20 I figured it wasn't that big of a risk if I didn't like them.

Anyone familiar with Udemy online videos? A co-worker recommended the CCNA bootcamp offered on there. For $20 I figured it wasn't that big of a risk if I didn't like them.
Yeah, Udemy has been a great resource for me in learning a few programming languages and other soft skills. Alot of it depends on the teacher and how they teach the content. I'd recommend it.

Good luck, glad to see people making strides. I got an interview for a paid internship on Monday, if everything sounds solid I'm willing to quit my job in order to possibly get a full-time position afterwards.

Good luck! I just got my book in today for the ccent. Is all of the info in the 850+ pages going to be on there?!

it's a little intimidating especially when it's all in black and white :lol:

But I got this :evil:

View media item 2249028

Good luck, glad to see people making strides. I got an interview for a paid internship on Monday, if everything sounds solid I'm willing to quit my job in order to possibly get a full-time position afterwards.

Hope this went well.

Thanks, I think it did. Told me we'll be moving into the phase and I should learn more before Christmas about whether or not I got it.

Got an interview with a company thats working on a project with the department of justice... its a help desk job (call center, not hands on)...

I really prefer hands on help desk rather than a call center cause call centers are boring... this might be my first job out of college when I graduate this Dec.

It'll also give me public trust and a salary of 40k.... If I get it, yall think I should take it or just keep waiting to hear back from other jobs..

Keep in mind that I applied to 20+ places and havent heard back from no one....

It's good experience, but what's ultimately your goal? If you do take it, 6 months - 1yr max at that level, you won't be learning much more. Either move up within or move on to the next step in your career elsewhere.

And 20+ is nothing when applying for jobs, you should be clocking more.

Last edited:
Haven't been searching but I should be. My job is stable and the pay is good for what I do... definitely want more though. Experience is king

It's good experience, but what's ultimately your goal? If you do take it, 6 months - 1yr max at that level, you won't be learning much more. Either move up within or move on to the next step in your career elsewhere.

And 20+ is nothing when applying for jobs, you should be clocking more.
I dont really have an ultimate goal tbh but I was thinking security maybe.... During my phone interview today, the manager was telling me how they're looking for someone to stick with the company and move onto higher positions eventually...

Well that's good. Is it a more complete IT company where their "help desk" will have engineering and security roles?

If you have an offer, take it. Nobody is saying that it's permanent but that experience while u continue to grow educationally will definitely help, and for all you know, this job might a "pay your dues" position then you can move up in about a year or so.

Well that's good. Is it a more complete IT company where their "help desk" will have engineering and security roles?
yup. they have engineering, security, etc.
If you have an offer, take it. Nobody is saying that it's permanent but that experience while u continue to grow educationally will definitely help, and for all you know, this job might a "pay your dues" position then you can move up in about a year or so.
thanks. I plan on. I just first have to ace my interview first. wil report back on the conclusion 

Anyone mess with any of the MCSA certs? Since I get student discounts I was thinking about knocking out the MCSA and maybe MCSE for a SQL Server or Azure Cloud cert

I took one of the Server 2012 exams. Still need to take two to complete my MCSA 2012.

You could always get on the ground floor for 2016.

Got the 1st one scheduled in January for the mcsa 2012 since I have a student discount too. I forget which 3rd course gives you an automatic upgrade to an mcse 2016, an azure cert I think, but for the price I think it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom