Information Technology (IT)

Subbed. Didn't know this thread existed.

I'm a double major in software engineering and computer science. I'll be able to get my associates next spring and I was thinking of getting it in programming or IT. I'll have to take a bunch of the programming courses before I get it though. Any advice on what courses to take? Trying to do stuff that'll get me more experience for future internships and jobs.

Subbed. Didn't know this thread existed.

I'm a double major in software engineering and computer science. I'll be able to get my associates next spring and I was thinking of getting it in programming or IT. I'll have to take a bunch of the programming courses before I get it though. Any advice on what courses to take? Trying to do stuff that'll get me more experience for future internships and jobs.

1. An associates degree is cool, but hold out for that bachelors of science if you can playa.

2. If you want the money, take programming. If you want to have a larger range of career options, take IT.

3. If you do decide to take the programming route, aim for courses in Security, Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, System Architecture, Data Structures, and Computer Applications in Science/Business. Networking, forensics, and other more "specialized" courses are cool, but if you have a basic grasp of those principles, that's all you'll realistically need unless you end up working within one of those specific fields.

4. Start practicing early. This thread has some resources that you might want to look into :nerd:: http://niketalk.com/t/643628/official-programming-development-thread-vol-asp-net-c-c-c-html-java-etc

In my experience, the classroom won't give you the type of experience you're looking for in regards to helping you land internships. School is all about theory - you are seldom able to apply that theoretical knowledge in anything that resembles a professional environment. If you're looking for things that will make you stand out for internships/jobs, start doing stuff. Help out on friends' projects, create a project of your own, go to networking events and meet people in the industry who live in your area, and do other things that you can use to build a portfolio. Students apply to internships all the time - your class schedule won't make you stand out as much as having a portfolio of past and current projects will.

1. An associates degree is cool, but hold out for that bachelors of science if you can playa.

2. If you want the money, take programming. If you want to have a larger range of career options, take IT.

3. If you do decide to take the programming route, aim for courses in Security, Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, System Architecture, Data Structures, and Computer Applications in Science/Business. Networking, forensics, and other more "specialized" courses are cool, but if you have a basic grasp of those principles, that's all you'll realistically need unless you end up working within one of those specific fields.

4. Start practicing early. This thread has some resources that you might want to look into :nerd:: http://niketalk.com/t/643628/official-programming-development-thread-vol-asp-net-c-c-c-html-java-etc

In my experience, the classroom won't give you the type of experience you're looking for in regards to helping you land internships. School is all about theory - you are seldom able to apply that theoretical knowledge in anything that resembles a professional environment. If you're looking for things that will make you stand out for internships/jobs, start doing stuff. Help out on friends' projects, create a project of your own, go to networking events and meet people in the industry who live in your area, and do other things that you can use to build a portfolio. Students apply to internships all the time - your class schedule won't make you stand out as much as having a portfolio of past and current projects will.
Repped for the info fam.

I'm staying in school to get my bachelors, I just wanted some kind of degree that might help me land a decent job/internship while I finish school, and that'll give me some kind of software engineering experience or something. Thanks again gonna look into the other thread too.

Repped for the info fam.

I'm staying in school to get my bachelors, I just wanted some kind of degree that might help me land a decent job/internship while I finish school, and that'll give me some kind of software engineering experience or something. Thanks again gonna look into the other thread too.
You don't need a degree to get an internship just focus on the BS. 

It is best to start working internships as soon as possible , the earlier the better. Also work a different internship every year if possible to work your way up to better companies, positions, and pay.

Whatever Uni or CC you're attending should have a job portal through their tech departments relevant to what you want to do.

Got my internship through networking, so that should always be considered as well. 

Like Beezy said, you don't need a degree for an internship. Apply now so you can secure something for the summer because the best internships go quickly.

Last edited:
Stil waitin to hear back about the internship I interviewed for. Google been asking for a little more information as part of their internship process, won't start setting up interviews until January, if I can land one of those interviews, I'm gon study for that thang like no other :lol:

Passed Sec+ earlier this month looking to take the Net+ within in about two weeks. No IT experience so these certs should help me get my foot in. So far looking to go the "security" route but I assume networking is sorta mixed with it also.

Comptia has a cyber security test dropping in February also. Let me know if I'm headed the right way :lol:. Don't wanna do all this stuff and find out comptia ain't ****.

Passed Sec+ earlier this month looking to take the Net+ within in about two weeks. No IT experience so these certs should help me get my foot in. So far looking to go the "security" route but I assume networking is sorta mixed with it also.

Comptia has a cyber security test dropping in February also. Let me know if I'm headed the right way :lol:. Don't wanna do all this stuff and find out comptia ain't ****.

CompTia certs will help you get your foot in the door. Not a waste of time/money, especially with no experience the certs will be what you have to lean on.

Since so many are looking to start their careers soon, for those that are in the field already where do you work and how did you get there?

My first IT job was working for Four Seasons Hotels. Great entry point...small IT teams so I got to support desktops, networking, servers, wifi, and some firewall. Plus the perks :pimp:

Unless he's a manager it aint happenin.

There's only so far you can go as a dev/tech/ana/eng before you hit a ceiling. It's outrageously high depending on your IT specialization, but not 300k high from any specialty I've seen.

150k and whatever you're doing you have to be at the very top of your field. 

My boss doesn't make that and he's a mid-level manager.

maybe you guys can help me i've been able to connect to my work wifi but as of late when i try to log on it's say username and password don't match but i know they haven't changed because another coworker logs on using the same credentials that i'm putting in..help

maybe you guys can help me i've been able to connect to my work wifi but as of late when i try to log on it's say username and password don't match but i know they haven't changed because another coworker logs on using the same credentials that i'm putting in..help
This ain't helpdesk

Is a bachelors degree a necessity if wanting to get a higher up position in IT, I hear different things? I have taken some IT courses in college, made it to my senior year but couldn't finish due to financial reasons. I'm working a level 1 IT job right now, and my goal is to obtain certs starting with A+. Also, are MOS certs beneficial? Another question for higher up positions in IT, does appearance matter? I don't have face tattoo's or anything just curious.

Hope everyone here had a good year and "IT" continues next year and so on. All i can say is what a year for me. From having zero IT enterprise experience and working as a service desk to being an assoc. application engineer. Feels good man.

Is a bachelors degree a necessity if wanting to get a higher up position in IT, I hear different things? I have taken some IT courses in college, made it to my senior year but couldn't finish due to financial reasons. I'm working a level 1 IT job right now, and my goal is to obtain certs starting with A+. Also, are MOS certs beneficial? Another question for higher up positions in IT, does appearance matter? I don't have face tattoo's or anything just curious.

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish and where you see yourself going.

Management? Get some certs and start moving around the IT dept. for better understanding on how an IT management works or suppose to work take an ITIL foundation class.

Tier 2 - experience over certs. Its nice having thise certs but if you dont have any experience on doing day to day things whats the point.

Appearance i can honestly say as long as your not looking like you just rolled out of bed your good. We have a collared shirt policy here but can wear any type of jeans. If im not wearing a collared shirt i wear a hoody. I dont even bother fixing my hair sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom