Information Technology (IT)

Don't bother with the A+ at all if that's your intended destination.

I try to give this advice whenever I can, school allows you to skip the entry level climb from desktop support to specialization completely.

Whatever CC or Uni you attend leverage the IT department in looking for internships. I've never heard of a school that doesn't have a Career Center/Department so I would be a regular in there as well.

Network Support Technician anywhere or a Data Center if possible would give you a good jump off point. Hell, if you can find any Info Sec internships you'd already have an in with whomever hired you.

But just to drive my point home, if you're going to school, skip the A+ Desktop Support grind. You do not need to do it, but you do need to be looking for any and every IT internship in your area and even outside of your area if they cover housing or pay enough to cover a short-term corporate apartment.

I have no certs but worked with plenty of people CompTIA certified. Apparently just having experience with a CompTIA exam in and of itself is a significant advantage.

Good luck next week man, you got this.
Thanks. Meant those vocational classes not ones at a uni.

I'll shoot you a PM

I'm a tad unfamiliar with that.

So u have to manually up the machines?
Nah, I’m no desktop engineer, we got a team of those, but my understanding is we still use WSUS to grab the updates from MS, use a MS service called SCUP to package them up, and then deploy to a collection in SCCM.

I'm deployed but I was finally able to get my unit to get me in a one week Sec+ course. I got a gang of study material now but is there anything I should focus on more than anything else? Any tips are appreciated.

Any good online colleges for a computer science degree? I'm working so I cant do full time and probably cant attend most classes in person.

Any good online colleges for a computer science degree? I'm working so I cant do full time and probably cant attend most classes in person.

Im doing classes with WGU. Have a lot of PROS and its relatively "cheap". Depends on what degree your looking at, the testing you do get your certs along the way.

Credit / Units transfers. Also if you have certs already they take that to an account and dont need to take those classes.

3K per semester, they start you off with 4 classes and if you know the material of the class you can take the final exam. If you pass you take another class. I hear some folks tends to graduate in less than a year. Its pass or fail. Reddit have a a good sub for it just search WGU.

Im going through Cloud and Systems and Cloud Administration BS.

Going for my bachelors. Ive read that WGU isnt looked at well by employers. I dont have any certs or experience

Going for my bachelors. Ive read that WGU isnt looked at well by employers. I dont have any certs or experience

I have a bachelors from WGU (as well as another from another University).

1) I don’t think it’s essential to have a degree in the IT industry except for maybe Computer Science (since there is an element of math and science). There’s no real regional, national accreditation like say in medical, automotive repair, law, etc. The CISO at Equifax had a degree in music lol.

2) WGU is legit from the stand point that they’re not trying to waste your time and validate the key/core skills/information necessary to pass a course. I’d like to start a masters in the Spring.

I have a bachelors from WGU (as well as another from another University).

1) I don’t think it’s essential to have a degree in the IT industry except for maybe Computer Science (since there is an element of math and science). There’s no real regional, national accreditation like say in medical, automotive repair, law, etc. The CISO at Equifax had a degree in music lol.

2) WGU is legit from the stand point that they’re not trying to waste your time and validate the key/core skills/information necessary to pass a course. I’d like to start a masters in the Spring.

So getting a job hasn’t been too difficult?

^^^Their bachelors are actually good as far as the value. When I went through you could obtain CCNA, MCSA, some CompTIAs + the BS in IT. I’d recommend WGU to any working adult. The tech writing and capstone were a good 1/2 in project management and validating what you learned.

Yeah doing the netsec degree now, hoping to knock it out by January. It's a fantastic value and return, your degree and certs in one shot. Most of the courses for this are for the actual cert so the content is undeniable. Doesn't matter how you feel about it, I can't bull**** through a CCNA security.

I just completed a 40 hour block of instruction for Security+. I just have to pass the measure up practice exam and then I'll get my voucher to take the real test. I'm hoping to take and pass the exam by this time next month.

Been thinking over going after scrum master. Graduating with a MS in cyber security but I don’t know what u want to do lol kinda more interested in big data forensics

Been thinking over going after scrum master. Graduating with a MS in cyber security but I don’t know what u want to do lol kinda more interested in big data forensics
Where are u graduating from?

Im currently looking/applying for programs, would love to pick ur brain if possible

my company asked me to move from dedicated agile/scrum dev effort to an IT acquisition/planning position. I liked the agile environment and the team was great but I guess it's on to new things.

Where did you read or hear this? I hope you aren't paying attention to Linkedin.

I deactivated my profile and left that website years ago. That website is just a FB clone for head hunters who are really just used car salesmen.

WGU is on same level if not better than University Of Phoenix or National University. All fall in the catgory of "paper degree universities" which you will end up owing or spend at least 50K for that paper degree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom