Information Technology (IT)

aah. Yea when I took it the biggest part was the exercise where you place the laptop, phone, cd, fax machine, etc. in their proper places. Once you got passed that, it was smooth sailing

Man I can't figure out why i'm so bad at interviews. I turn into straight Ben Simmons, like some kinda mental block.
Why do you think you are bad, have you gone through interview prep before. I remember early on being nervous but got over that. They need me just as bad as I need them or I wouldn't be sitting there or on the phone.
That's fair.

I get the same way when I speak. I normally start out sweating a storm than normalize. The only way for me to get over it...is to constantly do speeches, talk in front of groups of people.

I hope it gets easier for you. Maybe you could ask someone with an IT background do a mock interview. Maybe jot down the questions you typically get absent or stressed about and then provide it to that person and ask them to try to improvise a little.
I use to HATE speaking in front of people, not because I get nervous but I only like to speak when I have something to say. I am surrounded by many who just talk to hear themselves talk.
I get nervous in interviews as well. Lately I’ve just been going on YouTube and looking up sample interview questions for whatever role it is, take notes and just go from there
Usually go with what is the team makeup, what skills will help me excel in this position, is this a backfill or new position. Finally end with time frame on making a decision on the position. Usually the interview is long enough I don't want to make it run longer and give them an opportunity to come up with some stupid hard question.

I think lots and lots of practice interviews are key. Through doing those with various people, I learned that my biggest problem was that I’d unintentionally come off as sedated and uninterested, presumably due to my opioid prescription. So I eventually learned to compensate by using a lot more hand gestures and adjusting my voice. Seems to have worked out well.

You can prepare questions and answers all you want but at the end of the day I think you need someone to review those and be brutally honest about your performance. Ideally with various people to get a more diverse feedback.

I already know I’m gonna bomb some interviews :lol:

They will be my first “professional” interviews after working in the restaurant industry my whole life, and it’ll be my first interview after 10 years at the same job

I already know I’m gonna bomb some interviews :lol:

They will be my first “professional” interviews after working in the restaurant industry my whole life, and it’ll be my first interview after 10 years at the same job

I just bombed an interview earlier today. The questions were really focused on QA/Testing, but the job description was for a Web Developer. You kinda get desensitized to it after a while :lol: :smh:.

I just bombed an interview earlier today. The questions were really focused on QA/Testing, but the job description was for a Web Developer. You kinda get desensitized to it after a while :lol: :smh:.
When you see discrepancies like that, you gotta check them and let them know. Like "is this an interview for xyz cause it seems we're more focused on skills not associated to it".

Which field would be quicker to starting a new career DevOps or Programming?

I wouldn’t consider programming a field. Different fields like software development and sub fields like DevOps require certain degrees of programming skill.

Starting from zero programming knowledge, I think web development is the sub field with the quickest entry point.

I think I finally got down subnetting man... It just finally clicked.. somewhat.

Doing hella practice questions and getting them right.

I have to write it down to count in binary and all that but still... Feels so good to finally understand it.

I'm getting that CCNA no 🧢
I just started the CCNA course at work and the subnetting is whooping my ***. Crazy cause I didn’t seem to have issues when I took Net+ a few years ago. What are you using to help with it?

My friend just took CCNA yesterday and said it focused on subnetting, NAT and wireless.

I just started the CCNA course at work and the subnetting is whooping my ***. Crazy cause I didn’t seem to have issues when I took Net+ a few years ago. What are you using to help with it?

My friend just took CCNA yesterday and said it focused on subnetting, NAT and wireless.

Started using Neil Anderson on Udemy and only went half way through his course bc I didnt understand anything from subnetting and up. if you dont get subnetting then you wont be able to proceed with his course.

I gave up and started from square 1 with Jeremey IT LAB on youtube and now I get subnetting learning from him. Practiced a lot (still practicing everyday) and now I understand it a lot better.

From what I read on reddit, the CCNA isnt an exam you can pass with just 1 study material. You gotta use multiple study resources

Started using Neil Anderson on Udemy and only went half way through his course bc I didnt understand anything from subnetting and up. if you dont get subnetting then you wont be able to proceed with his course.

I gave up and started from square 1 with Jeremey IT LAB on youtube and now I get subnetting learning from him. Practiced a lot (still practicing everyday) and now I understand it a lot better.

From what I read on reddit, the CCNA isnt an exam you can pass with just 1 study material. You gotta use multiple study resources
I just subscribed to Professor Awwad on YT. The friend who just passed it recommended him. He apparently uses the same PP slides that we use in class but goes more in depth and explains it better. He also recommended an app called “CCNA 200-301, Updated 2022”. It’s about $8 per month for premium but he says they test you with questions from the actual exam. If I get anymore tips I’ll be sure to post them in here.

I appreciate all input NT fam, I really do. One of the things helping me is remembering this is an evaluation of fit on both ends, sort of like dating. Not a judgement.

I wouldn’t consider programming a field. Different fields like software development and sub fields like DevOps require certain degrees of programming skill.

Starting from zero programming knowledge, I think web development is the sub field with the quickest entry point.
Honestly I think software testing is probably the quickest entry. Especially if someone is completely new to programming since you don’t really need much programming knowledge in the first place. I followed a 6 month course and got hired at a big company within 2 weeks after graduating. Literally everyone in my class got a good job within 2-3 weeks.

I code automated tests at work in the second half of the month but that’s about it as far as programming goes. The first 2 weeks of each month are about 80% manual tests and whatever I’ve automated so far.

By the way, here’s roughly what I was taught in that 6 month course:
ISTQB Foundations
Working and Testing in Agile projects
Python
Object oriented programming (OOP)
Javascript/web
Selenium
Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
Cucumber/Gherkin
Postman

That’s about it. I got hired to work with C# and I didn’t know even the slightest bit of C# aside from what transfers over from Python knowledge. So don’t let being new to a field discourage you jay are jay are

Last edited:
After watching this vid on interviewing, I think my last interview likely went a lot worse than I realize….

Anyone think freelance web development is worth it?

Does anyone do any freelance work here?

Just thinking about ways for other income within the field.

I've done some freelance work, never as a primary source of income. I really don't think it is worth it, unless you're doing it for very specific reasons, i.e. for 100% autonomy or to gain experience and make some money when starting out before landing a first job.

If the motivation is to increase income, look into the concept of overemployment. With the abundance of full time remote work in the industry, especially post pandemic, it's more lucrative and can be a better work-life balance to literally work simultaneous employed positions discreetly or to double up with employed + contract work.

In the U.S. if you can match or out earn the coastal web dev labor markets solo, you're not a freelancer, you're a consultant.

Last edited:
I appreciate all input NT fam, I really do. One of the things helping me is remembering this is an evaluation of fit on both ends, sort of like dating. Not a judgement.
This reminded me that i was interviewing for a job a few months ago. During the recruiting stage there was a question about writing scripts, i specifically told the recruiter my day to day responsibilities, coding is not part of it. Maybe i do 10 lines of code a month, but i can read and edit codes if needed. During the group interview last question was if i can code, which threw me off because i felt the interview was going so well and the momentum kind of halted there. i had some feedback with the recruiter about that question and scenario. they moved me to the technical interview and of course i bombed that due to 3 out of 5 questions was writing a code. Made no sense to move me ahead if they were looking for more a coder.

exactly, i usually treat it as a conversation and be sure to come with some really good questions

i like to ask them if i started monday how can i be most impactful to the team

Yeah one of my questions is what issue keeps the manager up at night that I could help resolve.

Not applying to many, just testing the waters but these HR folks are wild. One was like the role was on the other side of the country so we ended the interview and had to reschedule after she confirmed with the hiring manager it is in fact not on the other side of the country. Another was like I can't submit you because of less than 3 years experience in the thing I have on my resume showing over 7 years.

I’m gonna have to start asking training related questions. So far, the onboarding process in my last two IT jobs have been close to terrible. Just figuring **** out on the fly until I’m finally comfortable two or so months in.

Got offered a 100% remote active directory mgmt job if somebody wants the lob. Perfect kind of 2nd job potentially too depending on how often they meet on zoom and if that’d conflict with your main if you chose to. I dont know pay, Id guess 80ish as a starting point to talk

Got offered a 100% remote active directory mgmt job if somebody wants the lob. Perfect kind of 2nd job potentially too depending on how often they meet on zoom and if that’d conflict with your main if you chose to. I dont know pay, Id guess 80ish as a starting point to talk
Send out the deets

New environment I work in uses Windows & Macs. I’ve never used a Mac much. I’m surprised at how
They just work. Don’t come across many problems with them at all.

Back
Top Bottom