Information Technology (IT)

Any of you guys have a cool home network setup? Bout to get Fiber ran to the house (scheduled for next week - Sonic is offering 10G for $50! ). With a huge bandwidth upgrade I'm bout to start this new house project. I'm thinking about getting a small 6U rack mount to terminate the fiber connection, setup a patch panel and run some cat6 throughout the house.

Curious if any of you guys have done this house project in the past and if you guys have any recommendation on cabinets/POE Switches. Got my eyes on a few, but I'd like to hear some success stories before settling in on one.

I plan on upgrading to some POE AP's in the future, but not at the moment. But I am trying to "future proof" this as much as I can (within budget/reason). I figured a 6U rack would be enough...1 for the patch panel, 1 for the switch, and 1 for a PDU. The fiber gateway will live in there too, and I suspect the remaining space should cover that...

Last edited:
Been tasked with getting Server+. Anyone take the test and if so how is it? Been hearing it’s more for beginners fresh out of school and if you’ve been in the industry for a while, it’s not that bad.

The best place to get study material? Job is offering CBT nuggets. Been told to check out udemy.com. Also, pass4sure has been mentioned. Any free study material out there? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Been tasked with getting Server+. Anyone take the test and if so how is it? Been hearing it’s more for beginners fresh out of school and if you’ve been in the industry for a while, it’s not that bad.

The best place to get study material? Job is offering CBT nuggets. Been told to check out udemy.com. Also, pass4sure has been mentioned. Any free study material out there? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Coworker of mine passed it in 2 weeks using YouTube videos. There’s videos titled like “pass server + in 2 weeks” or similar like that that are just series/playlists of like a few hours a day. It seemed dull as ****

The best place to get study material? Job is offering CBT nuggets. Been told to check out udemy.com. Any free study material out there? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Depends on the requirement. It's basically an entry-level server admin exam. Very general on RAID, rack/power/cooling, IPMI/IDRAC/ETC, dual CPUs, ECC memory, UPS, basic networking, probably basic virtualization, basic Microsoft server and Linux. There's no real value in obtaining the exam.

I'm more on the networking side but I'd expect server admins to have Sec+, Linux+, VMware, AWS and Azure certs. Now that Microsoft got out of the MCSA/MCSE, it's not as crazy besides trying to maintain cloud certs.

I recently acquired my RHCSA cert. The exam (practical) kicked my butt, but I got it the second time around. I loved linux ever since I was introduced to it and wanted to get a cert that said I actually know what I'm doing and not just know theory stuff. Now time to update my resume and begin my search 8)

I recently acquired my RHCSA cert. The exam (practical) kicked my butt, but I got it the second time around. I loved linux ever since I was introduced to it and wanted to get a cert that said I actually know what I'm doing and not just know theory stuff. Now time to update my resume and begin my search 8)
Congrats bro. Was looking into getting this too but may start with Linux+ then move to this. You think this is the way to go first?

Congrats bro. Was looking into getting this too but may start with Linux+ then move to this. You think this is the way to go first?
Thanks brother.
I say skip Linux+ and go straight to RHCSA. I’d even go LPIC instead of Linux+ because in terms of credibility and ability to open doors, RedHat > LPIC > Linux+. If you’re new to linux, RHCSA study guides will cover everything you need to know and even basics.

I used Ashgar Ghori’s book and studied for about 8months total. I also utilized YouTube and did a few practice exams. I scored a 91% so If you want to go the RHCSA route send me a DM and I can point you in the right direction regarding resources.

Thanks brother.
I say skip Linux+ and go straight to RHCSA. I’d even go LPIC instead of Linux+ because in terms of credibility and ability to open doors, RedHat > LPIC > Linux+. If you’re new to linux, RHCSA study guides will cover everything you need to know and even basics.

I used Ashgar Ghori’s book and studied for about 8months total. I also utilized YouTube and did a few practice exams. I scored a 91% so If you want to go the RHCSA route send me a DM and I can point you in the right direction regarding resources.
Ok. Sending PM

4 senior level engineers were just laid off at my company after we were bought out….

hopefully that’s the end to that but the job market is not looking good right now.

4 senior level engineers were just laid off at my company after we were bought out….

hopefully that’s the end to that but the job market is not looking good right now.
Job market rough right now. Been applying since November and have only gotten about 4 solid opportunities. I was thinking it was my resume but I've gotten responses from some pretty decent sized companies.

Just had an interview last week with one of the top Trading Firms here in NYC. Got invited for a second interview like 2 hours after the first one. Hopefully this is where my job search ends cause ya boy tired. :emoji_sleepy:

I work for a sub. Just found out the prime lost its contract. I applied for the incumbent but no one knows if they're cutting, maintaining or increasing wages.

Getting sick and ****ing tired of this effort to roll back work from home/remote from companies. Their should be enough evidence that supports at least giving your workforce the option to come in if they want. Forcing them is just going to piss people off.

Got ****ing damnit ****
Modern Day slavery

Took an AWS Solutions Architect Associate course through StanlyCC. Kind of lagged through the course.

Scheduled the exam even though I knew I wasn’t prepared. Took the exam at home and didn’t get a score report when I submitted the exam. They said it would be up five business days.

Kept checking my email like a simp. Found out I passed by my chinny chin chin. There were definitely some services I was unfamiliar with. But a win is a win sometimes.

I’m going to prepare for the PMP. Long term wise, I want to shift toward management and more programmatic positions.

Back
Top Bottom