Interesting READ: 7 Ways to Prepare for Retirement in Your 20s

Most of us have experienced the starving student lifestyle, and it was not fun. When your first paycheck rolled in, I'm sure you had a list of things to spend it on. Young people these days also have large student loans to contend with, and it's difficult to find any extra money to put toward retirement. I'm sure most new college graduates who just started a new job are not ready to even think of retirement. Most young people are focused on working and enjoying that money when they can.

Here are seven things 20-somethings can do to get ahead:
1. Avoid consumer debt. It's difficult to avoid debt at any age, but it's worth the effort to start out right. While young people often live in the moment and enjoy going out and having a good time, it is very important to spend less than you earn so you can avoid credit card debt. The interest will chip away at your income, and it will be much more difficult to save if you take on more debt.
2. Avoid lifestyle inflation. Most of us are unable to avoid lifestyle inflation after we start making more money. Who wants to drive an old jalopy around when a car dealer is offering a new car with a low interest rate? Spending money is fun and our consumer culture encourages that. However, it's difficult to reduce monthly expenses once they creep up. It's best to avoid lifestyle inflation as much as possible.
3. Grow your income. People in their 20s do not make as much money as older folks, but their compensation has a lot of room to grow. If you work hard, you should be able to get promoted and grow your income quite a bit early on in your career.
4. Sign up for a 401(k) account and start saving. A 401(k) account is a great retirement savings tool. Everyone should sign up even before their first paycheck rolls in if they can. That way your 401(k) contribution is automatically deducted from your paycheck and you won't see that amount in your checking account. This will help with lifestyle inflation because if you don't see the money, you won't be tempted to spend it. Start contributing right away and then increase this amount a little bit every year until you reach the contribution limit.
5. Open a Roth IRA. The best time to contribute to a Roth IRA is when you are in a low income tax bracket. The money invested in a Roth IRA is after tax, but you won't have to pay tax on any earnings.
6. Open a taxable brokerage account. It can be difficult to max out a 401(k) and Roth IRA. If you have any money left over after doing these two things, then consider opening a stock brokerage account. Investing in the stock market can be daunting when you are new to it, but you can start by investing in a low fee index fund. Once you learn more about investing, then you can branch out.
7. Buy income producing assets instead of a new car or other stuff that will break. Think about depreciation before spending money. If you buy a new car, it will be worth much less in a year. If you buy some dividend stocks instead, you will receive dividend income and the stocks might gain in value. Another example of an income producing asset is a house. You can buy a house and rent out some rooms to generate income to help pay the mortgage.

It's not easy to think about retirement when you are in your 20s, but your older self will be very grateful if you do so.

Good tips.
Those are the two BIGGEST ones. If you can handle those, that's HUGE, everything else on the list will work their way in naturally.

those are the two im paying to get out of now its crazy cuz at the time you get them you think its the best decision you could have made and once it starts piling up and that interest stacks it kills you :smh::smh:

LOL @ saving for retirement. I'm gonna get that military pension and retire @ 50. :smokin :smokin :smokin. On a more serious note though, saving for retirement seems like a scary proposition. The idea of saving upwards of a million dollars seems like such an overwhelming task that I wouldn't even know where to start. I know some people in their 20s who are doing really well and still won't have that much saved when its all said and done. I honestly think that the idea of retirement will be gone soon. If you really think about it only maybe 2 generations of Americans got to retire and with inflation being the way it is and pensions being stripped on the daily, it seems like we're headed back to working until you die or physically can't anymore.

who wants to go their whole life drivin a hoopty?

i go to the nyc auto show every year............i call it motivation

LOL @ saving for retirement. I'm gonna get that military pension and retire @ 50. :smokin :smokin :smokin. On a more serious note though, saving for retirement seems like a scary proposition. The idea of saving upwards of a million dollars seems like such an overwhelming task that I wouldn't even know where to start. I know some people in their 20s who are doing really well and still won't have that much saved when its all said and done. I honestly think that the idea of retirement will be gone soon. If you really think about it only maybe 2 generations of Americans got to retire and with inflation being the way it is and pensions being stripped on the daily, it seems like we're headed back to working until you die or physically can't anymore.

but you dont think that saving early could prevent going back to work after you have retired once? seems reasonable to me

one of my econ professor said our generation will need at least 2 million to retire

Good tips.
Those are the two BIGGEST ones. If you can handle those, that's HUGE, everything else on the list will work their way in naturally.

this. I've always been a frugal spender, even now when I have a "career job". only buying things I absolutely need and occasionally I'd have an impulse buy. but for the most part I'm good at saving.

when my friends tell me theyve maxed their credit cards and it'll take 1-2 pay checks to clear that debt I'm always :wow:

I can't imagine living paycheck by paycheck. and being in my 20s (25) it seems like a very common occurrence

based on this article

you shouldnt spend any money though

no car, no vay cay, guess goin out to eat would be against the rules too

sorry but life is all about balance

live within your means what i believe

i lost 200 at foxwoods yesterday but i aint drownin in debt either

im also typin from my ipad right now, bought it with cash not credit card, why do ppl do credit cards on stuff they cant afford?

be smart, live within your means, have fun. i wanted to buy a car this summer but held off. gotta see how bad q4 2012 is gonna be for us all first, or not.

Last edited:
Good info.

I think the lifestyle inflation is the biggest one on that list...

Its hard to live the same way if you go from 35k to 50k to 65k...

I have my check deposited to where I have enough to cover ,rent, bills necessities, and a little play money

Everything else, all be it small, goes to an account that I have to drive across town to access.

I don't even have a debit card for it. Kind o like a rainy day fund ...

I also have a small portion going to a 401k... its real menial, but its a start.

but you dont think that saving early could prevent going back to work after you have retired once? seems reasonable to me

Saving will help but if you're aiming for one of those ideal, TV-like retirements where you travel, have expendable income, etc. you better be saving $30-40K/year

Good info.
I think the lifestyle inflation is the biggest one on that list...
Its hard to live the same way if you go from 35k to 50k to 65k...

i agree, but my question is............why would you?

again, balance........

seems pretty damn boring to be like that

anything cost money

eating good, home decor, garden, hobbies, travel, eating

the list goes on

there is a reason why the more money you have equates to better lifestyle.

35k in this day an age in the tri state area is like living with ish just to get by, and thats with no kids, no vay cays, an stayin inside all day

Last edited:
this. I've always been a frugal spender, even now when I have a "career job". only buying things I absolutely need and occasionally I'd have an impulse buy. but for the most part I'm good at saving.
when my friends tell me theyve maxed their credit cards and it'll take 1-2 pay checks to clear that debt I'm always :wow:
I can't imagine living paycheck by paycheck. and being in my 20s (25) it seems like a very common occurrence

if you really think about it, he's right. Lets say you want to retire @ 65 you plan to live another 20 years or so and you want to maintain your current lifestyle. Assuming you have no debt or anything you might need around $50K/year. 50,000 x 20 = $1 million in today's money. Then you need to look at inflation. Go back 40 years and look at the inflation rate, you legit might need $2 million

ok here is a question then.........

how much do you need to get married and have a family?

cuz wouldnt that really screw your retirement plans?

be single, frugal and boring as hell seems to be the best way to go then huh?

based on this article

you shouldnt spend any money though

no car, no vay cay, guess goin out to eat would be against the rules too

sorry but life is all about balance

live within your means what i believe

i lost 200 at foxwoods yesterday but i aint drownin in debt either

im also typin from my ipad right now, bought it with cash not credit card, why do ppl do credit cards on stuff they cant afford?

be smart, live within your means, have fun. i wanted to buy a car this summer but held off. gotta see how bad q4 2012 is gonna be for us all first, or not.
The article didn't say NOT to do them. Just not buying a brand new car. That's one of the fastest depreciating assets you can buy. Even if you buy a 2-3 year old car you'll be in a much better position when it comes time to resell it.

i agree, but my question is............why would you?
again, balance........
seems pretty damn boring to be like that
anything cost money
eating good, home decor, garden, hobbies, travel, eating
the list goes on
there is a reason why the more money you have equates to better lifestyle.
35k in this day an age in the tri state area is like living with ish just to get by, and thats with no kids, no vay cays, an stayin inside all day
if you make 35k, and your expenses total 30k, then you have 5 k of breathing room.

But if I went up to 65k, I wouldn't want my expenses to be 60k...

My salary increased by 90%, I wouldn't want my expenses to increase by that much... maybe around 30%...

So I'm making 60k, but nt expenses are 40k... MUCH more breathing room.

not necessarily ...

But, if you get a 5k, salary bump, chill on adding 5k of expenses cuz your right back where you started.

If you make an additional $400 a month, don't move into an apt that's $400 more expensive ...

Maybe $100 rent increase.

On the contrary. Having a spouse has the potential to be great for your finances. Firstly, because you have someone to talk with about your purchases before buying something, and thus placing a boundary between you and making impulse buys. Secondly, a healthy relationship creates strong motivation to increase your work life and increase your income. I'll recommend the "Millionaire Next Door" again on this one. Although there are the Mark Zuckerbergs and other entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley, the majority of people with some degree of wealth are married and in a healthy relationship with their spouse.

if you make 35k, and your expenses total 30k, then you have 5 k of breathing room.

remember, just because your gross is $35k, don't mean you take home $35K. take out taxes, you might take home under $30K. so that's your budget starting point and that's when stuff starts getting real.

AND you don't see people staying at the same job for 30-40 years like the previous generation. If i'm at job for 5 years, i'm lucky. 10 years, that's a lifetime.

remember, just because your gross is $35k, don't mean you take home $35K. take out taxes, you might take home under $30K. so that's your budget starting point and that's when stuff starts getting real.
AND you don't see people staying at the same job for 30-40 years like the previous generation. If i'm at job for 5 years, i'm lucky. 10 years, that's a lifetime.
well of course theirs taxes. I went strictly off take home money. 35k take home is roughly 46-48k gross salary.

I used those #s b/c they're easy to wrap your head and understand them.

But many times, people think their income will grow, but it doesn't grow as fast as you think...

That's why the housing market is the way it is... people thought they'd be making X amount of dollars in X amount of time and it doesn't fall that way.

*inb4 someone tries to say the housing market declined due to other things*

There were many factors, but people thinking their income would decrease dramatically while it did not was part of the problem.

Also max out your company matching in your 401k that's free money your missing out on. Im in my late 30s and have about 6 figures in my 401k. Just start small and it will eventually grow.

Last edited:
Buy a duplex; rent out the other side (you should live in the smaller one, the larger unit will fetch more income) FHA loans are relatively easy to get, and all you have to do is put around 3% down. I also didn't have to pay any closing costs. I bought a foreclosure so my mortgage is 815 a month. Some people are paying that or more to live in an apt that isn't generating them ANY income. Make sure you get one that will NOT require a lot to fix it up... this will take longer. If you have to fix it up piece by piece, fix up the one you plan on renting out FIRST. I lived on an air mattress for months... but it's all about the investment.

I don't know if they are still giving out the 8k credit to buying a home, but you should definitely look into it.

Using the money I make from my other side allows me to pay off debt I accumulated quicker (students loans, car loan, consumer debt) I'll be able to pay off my house around 35. I'm 26 now.

Also interest rates right now are CRAZY low!!! My Credit score is like 675 or something and I was able to get a 3.875% on my refinance. Live at home for a year and save up. I put away 500 a month for a year. You do the math. That's all I needed too. I swear that was the best decision I ever made since graduation. No exaggeration.

Back
Top Bottom