IRAQ getting BETTER (the story you won't hear most places)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/22/AR2007112201568_pf.html

Over the past few months, Iraq has been getting progressively better & is headed in the right direction. This is the latest article aboutthe improvements that are occurring in Iraq.

Returnees Find a Capital Transformed
Security Is Better, But Freedoms Are Tempered by Fear

[size=-1]By Sudarsan Raghavan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, November 23, 2007; A01
[/size]

BAGHDAD, Nov. 22 -- Iraqis are returning to their homeland by the hundreds each day, by bus, car and plane, encouraged by weeks of decreasedviolence and increased security, or compelled by visa and residency restrictions in neighboring countries and the depletion of their savings.

Those returning make up only a tiny fraction of the 2.2 million Iraqis who have fled Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.But they represent the largest number of returnees since February 2006, when sectarian violence began to rise dramatically, speeding the exodus fromIraq.

Many find a Baghdadthey no longer recognize, a city altered by blast walls and sectarian rifts. Under the improved security, Iraqis are gingerly testing how far their newliberties allow them to go. But they are also facing many barriers, geographical and psychological, hardened by violence and mistrust.

Days after she returned from Syria, 23-year-old Melal al-Zubaidi and a friend went to the market on a pleasant night to eat ice cream. It was a shortwalk, yet unthinkable only a month ago for a woman in the capital. Still, her parents were nervous, and Zubaidi wore a head scarf and an ankle-length skirt toavoid angering Islamic extremists.

The Zubaidis, a Shiite Muslim family, have yet to pass another boundary. When they fled Iraq five months ago, a Sunni family took over their largehouse in Dora, a sprawling neighborhood in southern Baghdad. When the Zubaidis returned this month, they were too scared to ask the new occupants to leave. Sothey rented a small apartment in Mashtal, a mostly Shiite district.

"Security is better," said Melal al-Zubaidi, who has a degree in engineering. "But we still have fear insideourselves."

Over the past two months, the level of nearly every type of violence -- car bombings, assassinations, suicide attacks -- has dropped from earlierthis year. The downturn is a result of a confluence of factors: This year, 30,000 U.S. military reinforcementswere funneled into Baghdad and other areas. Sunni tribes and insurgents turned against the al-Qaeda in Iraq insurgent groupand partnered with U.S. forces to patrol neighborhoods and towns. Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, seeking to improvehis movement's image, ordered his MahdiArmy militia to freeze operations.

U.N. refugee officialsestimate that 45,000 Iraqis returned from Syria last month, while Iraqi officials say 1,000 are arriving each day.

The returnees find a capital that offers greater freedom of movement. Shops are open later in many neighborhoods, and curfews have beenreduced.

But those freedoms still come with constraints. Weddings, accompanied by honking cars and lively bands, are reappearing on the streets, but they still endbefore darkness falls. Visits to relatives and friends across Baghdad are more possible but still hinge on which group or sect controls each neighborhood. Somestores are selling alcohol, but fundamentalists watch for those who breach their codes.

Luay Hashimi, 31, returned to his house in Dora with his wife and three young children last month after fleeing to Syria nine months ago. Since then, 11other relatives who also had left for Syria -- Sunnis like him -- have come back, too.

Hashimi no longer sees bodies in the street when he opens his front door. Sunni extremists no longer man checkpoints to search his vehicle for alcohol orsigns of collaboration with the government or the Americans. Roads are being paved, and municipal workers are sprucing up parks and traffic circles. His patchof Dora is now a fortress, surrounded by tall blast walls that separate entire blocks.

"It's totally secured," said Hashimi, who was an intelligence officer during the government of Saddam Hussein. But a few days ago, he drove across themain highway to another section of Dora. He felt a familiar fear. "You're lost there. You don't know who controls the area, Sunni or Shia,American soldiers or Iraqi security forces. It's still chaotic."

He never drives on side streets, afraid of the unknown. On a recent day, he wanted to visit a Shiite friend in Amil, a district controlled by the MahdiArmy, whom he had not seen in a year. But his friend advised him not to come. Hashimi felt relief. "I'm afraid to go to Shiite areas," hesaid.

Before Hashimi left Iraq, he used to pick up a friend every day from the mixed enclave of Bayaa and take him to the security firm where they both worked.But during his time in Syria, Shiite militias cleansed Bayaa of Sunnis. "It's impossible for me to go there now," he said.

So he spends most of his days in his once-mixed neighborhood, now a mostly Sunni area. A nearby tea shop is open until 10 p.m., but all other shops close by7 p.m. Under Hussein, they used to be open past midnight. The walled-off streets have squeezed the pool of customers. Electricity, Hashimi said, is stillscarce.

Kareem Sadi Haadi, a civil engineer, did not want to return to Baghdad. Nor did most of the Iraqis he knew in Syria. He and his family had escaped therefive months after the U.S. invasion. But he ran out of money after two failed attempts to smuggle his family to Europe. Two weeks ago, they returned to Karrada, the mostly Shiite district where the family oncelived.

Today, they live in a rented apartment with furniture given to them by relatives. Haadi said he is shocked by Baghdad's metamorphosis -- thecheckpoints, road closings, traffic jams, razor wire on buildings, and the blast walls.

"Baghdad feels like a military base," said Haadi, 48, a Sunni. "Safety without these barriers is real safety."

Although he has been back in the capital for two weeks, he has not yet seen his sister who lives in the mainly Shiite neighborhood of Alam, controlled bythe Mahdi Army. She warned him that any stranger would be killed.

"Security is when I can get in my car at 10 p.m. and drive to see my sister," Haadi said.

Four days ago, gunmen kidnapped a man outside the house of Haadi's in-laws, also in Karrada.

"We don't go outside Karrada," said his wife, Anwar Mahdi, 43. "Now I am afraid to go to my parents."

As soon as they can save enough money, Haadi said, they hope to go back to Damascus. That could prove difficult. Syria now allows only Iraqis with special visas to enter.

Melal al-Zubaidi is optimistic. When she fled to Syria, she was terrified to drive through Anbar province, where Sunni militants were pulling Shiitesfrom buses and killing them. This time, the bus drove throughout the night.

"That comforted me," Zubaidi said. "I expect that security will improve day by day. People are tired of conflict."

Still, she has lines that she is not yet willing to cross. She has not visited her old university, fearing car bombs or kidnappings. In a nation whereneighbors are often as close as relatives, Zubaidi is wary of trusting people in her community. "We're still afraid to meet new people," shesaid. "This district is still strange for me. . . . I don't want to take risks."

She wonders when, or if, her family will return to Dora. Their old neighbors, all Sunnis, had phoned her parents, urging them to return. But they also toldthem that they were scared to ask the Sunni family to vacate their house.

"People are saying Dora is better, but we're still afraid to go," Zubaidi said. "We don't know that family'sbackground."

Her mother, who once ran a preschool in Dora, is worried over one of their former neighbors there. He encouraged them to leave their house because they wereShiites. And now he says he has a friend who wants to rent her preschool, now shuttered. He insists the area is too dangerous for the family to return.

"He is always terrifying us. He told us there's always a storm after the calm," said Um Melal, which means mother of Melal, who said shefeared having her name published. "We are suspicious. We can't go back, although other Sunnis are telling us to come back, and saying, 'We'llprotect you.' "

She said the improved security was not the only reason for returning to Iraq. She wanted to pick up her pension payments as well as winter clothes thefamily had stored away. Their Syrian residency permit has not expired.

"The situation is much better, but it still feels soft, unsteady," Um Melal said. "Until now, we have not made a final decision to go back orstay. We're waiting to see what happens.

"I expect Baghdad will come back sooner or later," she continued. "But that needs time. If you want to build a wall, it takes you 10 days.But if you want to demolish the wall, it takes you 10 minutes."

Hashimi is worried that the wall could easily crumble. He recently applied to join the Iraqi police. But he doesn't trust the Shiite-ledgovernment to integrate Sunnis into the political system, the police and army. And what if the American troops leave?

"Of course, if the political process is still the same, and the Americans withdraw from Dora, in a couple of days everything will collapseagain."

[h3][/h3]
the story you won't hear most places
this is where i stopped reading
eyes.gif

I read this the other day... awesome news! Now let's work on getting our troops home safe and sound sometime soon.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Bruce Uppercut

I read this the other day... awesome news! Now let's work on getting our troops home safe and sound sometime soon.
ohwell.gif
I agree. I am FOR the War but I want the troops home just as much as anyone else.

The only difference is I want to WIN (and/or get things semi-settled there) before coming home. Unlike US Senator Mr. Harry Reid.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

[h3][/h3]
eyes.gif

Your loss, you clearly aren't educated on what is going on then if you won't even take the time to read an article from a very credible source,the Washington Post.

And it is a reference to the known liberal bias in the news of ABC, NBC, CBS.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

ohwell.gif
I agree. I am FOR the War but I want the troops home just as much as anyone else.

The only difference is I want to WIN (and/or get things semi-settled there) before coming home. Unlike US Senator Mr. Harry Reid.

Which "War" are you for? Because we're fighting two wars.

Maybe..

An Iraqi woman passes by a US vehicle during a patrol in Baghdad's Dora district, Iraq on 21 November 2007. The relative stability of the security situation in Baghdad's Dora district has encouraged citizens to go to the markets and open their shops, locals say.

In hindsight this war has been a disaster. If it could have ushered in liberal democracy in the region, it would have been well worth it but now the loftiestgoal is to stabilize the country and make it so we can leave and not see it turn into a haven for for Islamicists. In hindsight, it would have been better tosimply keep Saddam Hussein besieged by weapons inspections (backed up with a very healthy dose of potential US force). However, we cannot change the past andright now the policy has to be one of stabilizing the country to the point that we can leave it to its own devices.

News of the situation moving in that direction is welcomed news and that means that we can eventually get our people out of there without it coming back tohaunt us.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

[h3][/h3]
eyes.gif
Your loss, you clearly aren't educated on what is going on then if you won't even take the time to read an article from a very credible source, the Washington Post.

And it is a reference to the known liberal bias in the news of ABC, NBC, CBS.

Yeah - I got it. That was my point, but thanks.
eyes.gif

good to hear Iraqis are willing to go back home(makes me feel good that this WAR wasnt for nothing nawimean?!)...sshhh i would bescared too...yes let all the US troops come asap...thanks for a good read TBONE95860..

ohwell.gif

your first point is (not so smart)
and what makes no sense to me. WIN what? settle what? someone elses country? mofos need to focus on home, not peeps heaint got s!!! to do with us.

edit: Matter fact, if we really wanted to "win" the war, that damn gov or really bush would have supplied the damn troops from the beginning insteadodf leavin them out to dry. think S!!! out before you send our "boys and girls" over there.

To King Louis and the rest of the left wing crazies will tell you this is a "right wing conspiracy".

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

To King Louis and the rest of the left wing crazies will tell you this is a "right wing conspiracy".
i never understood all the "right/left wing" stuff. can you/someone explain?

Originally Posted by thagreatj

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

i never understood all the "right/left wing" stuff. can you/someone explain?

Left wing implies that the person is an extreme liberal/Democrat. Right wing implies that the person is an extreme conservative/Republican.

Funny what Congressional Pressure to end the war and 30,000 additional troops can do especially when funding is an issue. Too bad it only took 4 years, 3,800+DEAD Americans, and a Democrat party take over of Congress.

and what makes no sense to me. WIN what? settle what? someone elses country? mofos need to focus on home, not peeps he aint got s!!! to do with us.
I definitely agree. As much as I love my country, I think we've lost our way with always having to feel like we have to be the only dog thatpisses with its leg up on the world stage. Win? This isn't Playstation or the NFL. Bottom line is that in a war like this one, even if we win, at theend of the day we've still lost SO much more than that "win" was worth.

The only difference is I want to WIN
Win? we've been there for how long pittling, if we were going to win we should have went in alot more aggressive. We have done nothing buthurt ourselves in this war. Thousands of people were killed. Where can we go from here? HOME, only very slowly.

One thing i don't understand is why we continually think countries would be better off following our values. Also OUR western styled democracywill NEVER WORK in the middle east.

The only difference is I want to WIN

The real meaning behind the war is so convoluted I don't even know what we are fighting to win

The real meaning behind the war is so convoluted I don't even know what we are fighting to win
exactly.

Funny what Congressional Pressure to end the war and 30,000 additional troops can do especially when funding is an issue. Too bad it only took 4 years, 3,800+ DEAD Americans, and a Democrat party take over of Congress.

yep. and im not sayin i know this or that....i dont (im sure that'll be quoted by either bloc or someone else) but if you gonna "goin" "go in".

It is definitely good news, but its been known for a while. But the only real thing about leaving Iraq is i wont believe it until i see it or i'm told iwont be deployed there.

Back
Top Bottom