Is Carmelo Anthony Still Top 10? *Seriously??* 4/8/12

I dont think its even an argument that Parker, Blake and Bynum are having better seasons than Melo is having this year. 

Heck there may be even a few more guys who are having better statiscal seasons then Melo is having this year ( Rondo, Josh Smith, Monta, Aldrige, Lee, Jefferson and Nash) but Im not gonna take it that far.

Melo is very valuble a forward who can create his own shot but hes not doing that great this season. This list is right now, heck if  Melo has a great month of May, he could vault back up into the top 10.

Wade, I started contributing to this thread when dudes were flying off the cliff, saying guys like Tony Parker, Lamarcus Aldridge, Andrew Bynum and Blake Griffin were better then Melo. D.Will is also someone I can argue against, but for now I'll let him rock, because of the obvious.

The popular opinion is that Melo is a ball-stopper and a ball-hog. The things that I said in my last couple of posts were just to point out that Melo is more then just a scorer. It's just his strength.

One of my first posts in here was something to the effect of "Melo is still CAPABLE of being in the Top 10 discussion". I feel he's hurt and that's what's hurting his play THIS season.

I can not argue that Melo is better then the top 8-10 players people have mentioned, but I can't allow people to put names of players that do 2 maybe 3 things well up against Melo when he's great at 4-6 different assets of the game. 

i cant defend this dude melo till he does all these great things in a knick uniform. so far i am not impressed 

I just don't see how people can ignore the win/loss numbers when he matches up with Durant head-to-head. And Lebron, for that matter. Melo started his career as a knucklehead and is still paying the price. Dudes are in S&T actually complaining how his shoes look. People labeling him a coach killer when he put George Karl's name back on the map. Jeff Bzdelic coaches college now but even under Bzdelic the Nuggets were never below .500 since Melo arrived. He's a "black hole" that had a winning season with Allen Iverson. He's a "non-star" that out-dueled CP3 and Dirk in head-to-head playoff match-ups. When he lost in the first round, he lost to the eventual Champion (Spurs, Lakers) most of the time. This is in a conference that require 50+ wins to get to the 8th spot sometimes. This is on a team that is more concerned about financial bottom lines than championships (Check Nene's last few contracts and impact on the South American NBA market). The team who was in the WCF once they had a PG who understood that part of his job was putting Melo in the position to do work.

I'm starting to believe Mike Woodson is the right coach for Melo, so I'll let things work themselves out. He's utilizing Melo's offensive talents in a half-court system, while emphasizing a focus on defense to create easy transition game. The proof is in the last 9 games, including the last 2 without Lin. Barring health issues, his efficiency will rise and people will start to acknowledge what his passing skills as well. He a much better passer out of his natural position than he is as a point forward and D'Antoni refused to acknowledge is. To not want a player is one thing. To blatantly misuse him for the sake of displaying your "system" (which is basically a star point guard's wonderland), is inexcusable.

Melo is not good as a point forward. =/= Melo is not good.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by JD617

I question if you've ever actually watched Carmelo Anthony play basketball his entire career. Advanced stats aint showing you the aforementioned.
If your eyes are showing you the aforementioned then something's wrong with them.
Nothing is wrong with my eyes. I stand by my previous statement.

Think whatever you want. Just know that the "you don't watch games" comeback is the last resort for people who have no other argument.

If your eyes are showing you the aforementioned then something's wrong with them.
Think whatever you want. Just know that the "you don't watch games" comeback is the last resort for people who have no other argument.
It's not an argument. From your previous statements you strike me as someone who has not actually watched Carmelo Anthony play basketball.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

I just don't see how people can ignore the win/loss numbers when he matches up with Durant head-to-head. 
Ugh maybe because it isn't a one-on-one game? 
grin.gif
 Why would you factor that in? It is a TEAM sport. Are we comparing their teams? Or are we comparing them.

I just don't see how people can ignore the win/loss numbers when he matches up with Durant head-to-head. And Lebron, for that matter. Melo started his career as a knucklehead and is still paying the price. Dudes are in S&T actually complaining how his shoes look. People labeling him a coach killer when he put George Karl's name back on the map. Jeff Bzdelic coaches college now but even under Bzdelic the Nuggets were never below .500 since Melo arrived. He's a "black hole" that had a winning season with Allen Iverson. He's a "non-star" that out-dueled CP3 and Dirk in head-to-head playoff match-ups. When he lost in the first round, he lost to the eventual Champion (Spurs, Lakers) most of the time. This is in a conference that require 50+ wins to get to the 8th spot sometimes. This is on a team that is more concerned about financial bottom lines than championships (Check Nene's last few contracts and impact on the South American NBA market). The team who was in the WCF once they had a PG who understood that part of his job was putting Melo in the position to do work.

I'm starting to believe Mike Woodson is the right coach for Melo, so I'll let things work themselves out. He's utilizing Melo's offensive talents in a half-court system, while emphasizing a focus on defense to create easy transition game. The proof is in the last 9 games, including the last 2 without Lin. Barring health issues, his efficiency will rise and people will start to acknowledge what his passing skills as well. He a much better passer out of his natural position than he is as a point forward and D'Antoni refused to acknowledge is. To not want a player is one thing. To blatantly misuse him for the sake of displaying your "system" (which is basically a star point guard's wonderland), is inexcusable.

Dont put him in the same category as AI. AI had winning seasons with.......................pretty much nobody on his teams, but i digress

Originally Posted by solarius49

Dont put him in the same category as AI. AI had winning seasons with.......................pretty much nobody on his teams, but i digress
You totally missed the point. He's not putting him in the category as AI. It's not about that AT ALL. He's saying Melo is a black hole to you ppl yet he had a winning season with an even bigger ball hog and black hole in AI.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I just don't see how people can ignore the win/loss numbers when he matches up with Durant head-to-head. 
Ugh maybe because it isn't a one-on-one game? 
grin.gif
 Why would you factor that in? It is a TEAM sport. Are we comparing their teams? Or are we comparing them.
Who said it was a one-on-one game? Now the results of when they face each other and guard each other don't matter because it's a team sport? You're trying too hard. The argument is that Melo is being exposed because he can no longer do what he wants like he did in Denver. But when someone mentions that "doing what he wants" has brought more victories than losses against the likes of Kevin Durant's and Lebron James' teams, it doesn't matter because it's a team sport? Again... you're trying too hard. 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

You digressed before you even started typing. A lot of AI's seasons weren't winning seasons or were just barely winning. Melo has never had a losing season. Nor can anyone claim that Melo wasn't clearly the floor leader of that team even when Chauncey was there. Dude played with one of most injured front courts in NBA history (Nene, Camby, K-Mart), but still won consistently. You probably couldn't name 5 of his other teammates over his 7.5 seasons in Denver not named Andre Miller.   

It's not an argument. From your previous statements you strike me as someone who has not actually watched Carmelo Anthony play basketball.

Which ones exactly? That he doesn't get to the rim like LeBron and shoot midrange jumpers like Dirk? That Durant is better? That he's not top 5 or top 10 in the league?
Enlighten me.

He's a nice 6 man. Knicks look like a fool, Karl and co. acted as if they were torn to pieces he wanted out 
eyes.gif
, got a ransom for him and been smiling ever since.

A nice sixth man tho? Lulz come on now. Melo is gifted and can post up with the best of them I just hate when he falls in love with just taking so many jumpers. He will get it together eventually

its not fair to ask this question now while he's in the midst of his worst season in the NBA.

Originally Posted by MrDozo

its not fair to ask this question now while he's in the midst of his worst season in the NBA.

Exactly...American sports are known for fans that are "prisoners of the moment." Durant drops 40 on LeBron and the media says "DURANT IS BETTER THAN LEBRON!!"..Then Kobe scores 45 on the Thunder and its "KOBE IS BETTER THAN LEBRON N DURANT COMBINED!!"..Then LeBron drops 50 on Kobe and its "LEBRON OWNS KOBE!"

Melo isn't top 10 this year..Not gonna argue that..But to act like this guy is gonna shoot 40% for the rest of his career is just stupid. To think that opposing teams don't come into games focused on stopping him even if he starts the game 0-15 is ridiculous. A bad season is a bad season, but you don't wanna be that team that comes in against a guy like Melo with the mindset of "He's been garbage on offense lately..Give him 1 on 1 looks against one of our average defenders" and then have 45 dropped on your head. This guy Melo scored 36 against Josh Smith, one of the most versatile defenders in the league.

And to the people that said don't put Melo n Iverson in the same category, that's just plain unfair if you consider AI to be a great offensive player. Iverson always put up huge PPG numbers, but his shooting percentage was never very good. Melo's highest FG% for a season was 49%..Besides his 2nd season, Iverson NEVER had a season FG% that broke 46%

Originally Posted by tim teufel

A nice sixth man tho? Lulz come on now. Melo is gifted and can post up with the best of them I just hate when he falls in love with just taking so many jumpers. He will get it together eventually

have you even watched melo play? yes hes a great post up player but hes more than that... hes one of the best offensive players out there with durant and kobe as far as scoring in anyway possible... this guy can shoot all day and will shoot from all angles whether its a postup move or squared up facing the basket 

Back
Top Bottom