Is Carmelo Anthony Still Top 10? *Seriously??* 4/8/12

^Good game word to KD.

I can already see a few guys saying next year how Melo had "another" bad series and didn't step up.

My uneducated opinion that I would love to be corrected.. Top 5 scorer easily, if you disagree consider he needs help! (So in my mind no matter the conflict that is talked about the Knicks still need Lin to provide help, period). Not a bad defender, immature which leads to inconsistent effort, takes too many jumpers.. overall earns his money and though my first reaction is to say he needs to adjust as he ages, maybe his jumper and height will help him regardless. Right now I'm on whatever is the opposite of a bandwagon for Amare. I was on this for months, thinking he has lost his ability to impact the game at a high level, and tonight obviously confirmed my beliefs because he won't even be available now.  Stupid Yuku erased my post... yes he is top ten if you disagree you need to look in the mirror and say I don't understand basketball that good.
P.S. Knicks need to learn defense in a very obsessive way.  I don't think you can succeed on D unless you embrace it, ala the best basketball team in the WOOOOOORLD, the Heat.

OB-ST753_COUNT0_NS_20120429215404.jpg

Courtesy the WSJ.

Don't mind me. Just stirring the pot. Here's the little article:

The New York Knicks traded for Carmelo Anthony because they thought he would lead them to a championship. But considering the way Anthony's teams have performed in the postseason, the Knicks would be lucky to even win a game.

Anthony played his 50th career playoff game Saturday, a 100-67 massacre at the hands of the Miami Heat. Heading into Monday's Game 2, Anthony now owns a 16-34 career postseason record (.320)—the worst of any player who has appeared in that many postseason games since 1991-92.

Anthony has played in the postseason every year since entering the league with Denver in 2003. His teams lost in the first round in seven of eight seasons. His only playoff success came in 2009, when his Nuggets won two series and advanced to the Western Conference finals. Although poor supporting casts have been part of the problem, so has Anthony's inefficiency. For his playoff career, Anthony's effective field-goal percentage (eFG)—a statistic that gives extra weight to three-pointers—is .442. The league average last year was .478.

As for the best playoff performer during that span, that honor belongs to Michael Jordan (.734). The rest of the top ten? Nine of his Chicago Bulls teammates.One of the players in the bottom-10 along with Anthony is Shane Battier. Battier, who has suffered playoff disappointments with the Grizzlies and Rockets, plays for the Heat, the Knicks' opponent in round 1.

melo has been hated on nt since his rookie year. I remember someone saying josh howard>melo at one point
roll.gif

How is he not a top 10 player tho?
He is arguably the best scorer in the league (it's between him kobe and durant) Anyone remember that 33 pt quarter?
Head to head against superstars (kobe, lebron, wade) he has a winning record
Since his rookie year he has the most, or 2nd most game winners/ go ahead shots
As far as his playoffs performance I can't defend him because historically him and his teams have fared poorly but he has gone against superior teams each year except in 05 when the nuggets lost to the clippers
Regardless, whether you're outed in the finals or the 1st round anything short of a championship is a failure imo

I love how dudes are taking shots at Melo when the last two playoff series he's had a cast of
1) Anthony Carter, Landry Fields, Jared Jeffries, Ronny Turiaf

2) Baron Davis, J.R Smith, Steve Novak, Tyson Chandler

both years going up against a championship contender

Code:
2004 -- lost to Minnesota, 4-1, first round (Minnesota #1 Seed, Advanced to West Finals)
Code:
2005 -- lost to San Antonio, 4-1, first round ( San Antonio # 2 seed, Won the championship)2006 -- lost to LA Clippers, 4-1, first round  ( Los Angeles Clippers # 6 seed, Advanced to West Semis)2007 -- lost to San Antonio, 4-1, first round  (San Antonio # 3 seed, Won the Championship)2008 -- lost to LA Lakers, 4-0, first round  (Los Angeles Lakers, Advanced To Finals)2009 -- defeated New Orleans, 4-1, first round        defeated Dallas, 4-1, conference semifinals        lost to LA Lakers, 4-2, conference finals   ( Los Angeles Lakers, Won Championship)2010 -- lost to Utah Jazz, 4-2, first round (Utah # 5 seed, Advances to West semis)2011 -- lost to Boston Celtics, 4-0, first round (boston # 3 seed, Advance to East Semis)2012 -- Will lose to Miami Heat, 4-0, first round ( Miami # 2 seed, Have a CLEAR path to Finals)Now with the exception of two series (Jazz & Clippers) these other series were absolutely out of reach for his teams.His stats during the playoffs
[table][tr][td]Career[/td][td][/td][td]51[/td][td]51[/td][td]38.6[/td][td].417[/td][td].329[/td][td].819[/td][td]7.4[/td][td]3.1[/td][td]1.3[/td][td].4[/td][td]24.5[/td][/tr][/table]
Code:
All of this while always being the ONLY focus on offense for his teams. so yea its safe to say he's still top 10

Originally Posted by melofan15

melo has been hated on nt since his rookie year.

That's CERTAINLY not true. There was a LARGE # of people on here who were pushing that Melo > Lebron campaign HEAVY back in 03-04.

Originally Posted by tyisny

I love how dudes are taking shots at Melo when the last two playoff series he's had a cast of

Code:

2) isn't a bad team it just so happens there going against the damn Heat but 1) 
sick.gif

He is arguably the best scorer in the league
How can you be the best scorer in your league & you've never averaged 30 nor lead the league in scoring?

Originally Posted by ill steelo

He is arguably the best scorer in the league
How can you be the best scorer in your league & you've never averaged 30 nor lead the league in scoring?

And he's a volume scorer. Which negates the whole "easiest scorers in the league" argument

Now with the exception of two series (Jazz & Clippers) these other series were absolutely out of reach for his teams.

Still could've had fewer sweeps and 4-1 losses so that he doesn't have to be the holder of this unfortunate record.

Would you want to build a team around Melo?......i'll wait

(since this looks like it can go both ways, my answer is no to diffuse any confusion
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by tyisny

Code:
2004 -- lost to Minnesota, 4-1, first round (Minnesota #1 Seed, Advanced to West Finals)
Code:
2005 -- lost to San Antonio, 4-1, first round ( San Antonio # 2 seed, Won the championship)2006 -- lost to LA Clippers, 4-1, first round  ( Los Angeles Clippers # 6 seed, Advanced to West Semis)2007 -- lost to San Antonio, 4-1, first round  (San Antonio # 3 seed, Won the Championship)2008 -- lost to LA Lakers, 4-0, first round  (Los Angeles Lakers, Advanced To Finals)2009 -- defeated New Orleans, 4-1, first round        defeated Dallas, 4-1, conference semifinals        lost to LA Lakers, 4-2, conference finals   ( Los Angeles Lakers, Won Championship)2010 -- lost to Utah Jazz, 4-2, first round (Utah # 5 seed, Advances to West semis)2011 -- lost to Boston Celtics, 4-0, first round (boston # 3 seed, Advance to East Semis)2012 -- Will lose to Miami Heat, 4-0, first round ( Miami # 2 seed, Have a CLEAR path to Finals)Now with the exception of two series (Jazz & Clippers) these other series were absolutely out of reach for his teams.His stats during the playoffs
[table][tr][td]Career[/td][td][/td][td]51[/td][td]51[/td][td]38.6[/td][td].417[/td][td].329[/td][td].819[/td][td]7.4[/td][td]3.1[/td][td]1.3[/td][td].4[/td][td]24.5[/td][/tr][/table]
Code:
All of this while always being the ONLY focus on offense for his teams. so yea its safe to say he's still top 10

Are we really gonna talk about Melo's supporting casts? 
IMO, he's had some of the more favorable teams of any star in the league not named Kobe, Duncan, or the Big 3 in Boston.

He's not Top 10. as I stated earlier in this thread, I'm not sure he ever was. 8/9 1st round exits speaks volumes to the kind of player he is. 1 dimensional & not a winner at all. 

That other thread out there "LeBron doesn't know how to win" needs to have Melo's name substituted. 

Really some of the most favorable teams.

He's had two years with another All star caliber player.... (one being allen iverson, who as great as he was takes more unadvised shots than anyone in the history of basketball)... Had he had decent talent yes, has he had enough talent to beat the top tier teams in the west.. NEVER

The same case was used for Lebron... up until last year where he Got more help than anyone in the league and still he not only didn't win but COMPLETELY dissapeared in pivotal moments of the NBA Finals. 

Back
Top Bottom