Is Chief Keef the new face of hip-hop?

Chief Keef is clearly the hottest rapper coming up right now, my question is do you think he's the new face of the rap game? Chief Keef's new music is doing numbers on Youtube, and he didn't even have to sell out. I think with his current raping style he can make a splash in mainstream, and if he is successful i think he will be the face of current rap. Let me explain A&R's always look for what's popluar in music, when soulja boy dropped "Crank That" the new thing in rap was to dance, when Wayne dropped "Lolipop" the new thing to do was to have more of a pop sound. Chief Keef has a strong fan base, and stations like BET are going to do whatever is trendy and i believe Chief Keef is the face of the new trend. Personally i really like Chief Keef, and as a 90's baby it's nice to see an artist apart of your generation doing well. 80's baby rappers were mostly garbage, and i think rappers born in the 90's are really going to do good for hip-hop with Chief Keef leading the way (as far as popularity goes).

P.S. very first post on NT so go easy on me. 

yes he is the new face of hip hop at the moment. what you mean he didn't sell out. if he hasn't already he will maybe unknowingly. its the illuminati the devil runs the music industry maaane. they control who's hot and who's not and who gets put on. simple as that. yall know how it goes he signed to jimmy not hard to believe this stuff. the i or should i say eye is hypnotizing

View media item 142858
lol srs

#SOSAAA

Last edited:
First, i do not believe in the illumanati. Secondly, I dont think he is mainstream. He switched his sound a little and he's much more popular now, but i do not think he sold out. I also do not think he has to sell out. Like i mentioned before, he is doing well on Youtube already and he isn't even on TV yet. When he gets his turn on MTV and BET i think with his current rapping style he'll be very successful. "Love Sosa" is on Youtube's top 50 in music with no radio or tv play, and it has only been out for like 3 weeks. 

dude is rubbing elbows with jimmy iovine, but he didn't sell out..

roll.gif

He's not really marketable. Incoherent interviews hold him back.

But he still got the hood on smash, Everytime he drops a track, everyone knows it came out.

you mean Drake?
ohhhh no, you meant Kendrick?
do you know what the face of something means?
seeing as you have the GOAT as your avi i would think you do.
HE was the face of Hip-Hop when he was alive. (especially 94-96)
Chief Keef is the face of.....G.B.E.
the face of something is known by everyone as the representation of that...Chief Keef is not that to hip-hop...at all.
and seperating rap into 80s babies and 90s babies is....just no.
the FACE of hip-hop right now is either Drake or Kanye.
the face of the NEW breed is either Drake or Kendrick.

Drake is the new face of hip hop, but theres clearly a lane for Chief Keef to be in and keep himself relevant should he choose to do so.

dude is rubbing elbows with jimmy iovine, but he didn't sell out..

roll.gif
Just bc he signed with Jimmy doesn't mean he sold out. Ppl hear a rapper's name assoiciated with Jimmy and they just assume that rapper is going to turn pop. That just isn't true. Do you think "Kobe" or "Love Sosa" have a pop sound?
He's not really marketable. Incoherent interviews hold him back.
But he still got the hood on smash, Everytime he drops a track, everyone knows it came out.
Watch his interview with jack Thriller, if the interviwer can adjust to Chief Keef, Chief Keef can have a good interview. 

you mean Drake?
ohhhh no, you meant Kendrick?
do you know what the face of something means?
seeing as you have the GOAT as your avi i would think you do.
HE was the face of Hip-Hop when he was alive. (especially 94-96)
Chief Keef is the face of.....G.B.E.
the face of something is known by everyone as the representation of that...Chief Keef is not that to hip-hop...at all.
and seperating rap into 80s babies and 90s babies is....just no.
the FACE of hip-hop right now is either Drake or Kanye.
the face of the NEW breed is either Drake or Kendrick.
First off i respect your comment, but i must disagree. I just flat out dont like Drake, and Kanye isn't half the rapper he was 7 years ago. Kanye had a soul sound in his first few albums, but now it's just pop records with Big Sean 2 Chainz and Jay-Z. Kanye's new music IMO has no replay value like it use to. i.e "Homecoming" is a song i can never stop liking, but songs like "Clique" was my jam!...for about a week then i got tired of it. 

Why cant i seperate 80's and 90's babies??
Drake is the new face of hip hop, but theres clearly a lane for Chief Keef to be in and keep himself relevant should he choose to do so.
Personally, i refuse to accept Drake as the face of hip-hop. Maybe pop/R&B/hip-hop but not hip-hop. 

Chief Keef is clearly the hottest rapper coming up right now, my question is do you think he's the new face of the rap game? Chief Keef's new music is doing numbers on Youtube, and he didn't even have to sell out. I think with his current raping style he can make a splash in mainstream, and if he is successful i think he will be the face of current rap. Let me explain A&R's always look for what's popluar in music, when soulja boy dropped "Crank That" the new thing in rap was to dance, when Wayne dropped "Lolipop" the new thing to do was to have more of a pop sound. Chief Keef has a strong fan base, and stations like BET are going to do whatever is trendy and i believe Chief Keef is the face of the new trend. Personally i really like Chief Keef, and as a 90's baby it's nice to see an artist apart of your generation doing well. 80's baby rappers were mostly garbage, and i think rappers born in the 90's are really going to do good for hip-hop with Chief Keef leading the way (as far as popularity goes).

P.S. very first post on NT so go easy on me.

What is this...I can't...

Last edited:
First off i respect your comment, but i must disagree. I just flat out dont like Drake, and Kanye isn't half the rapper he was 7 years ago. Kanye had a soul sound in his first few albums, but now it's just pop records with Big Sean 2 Chainz and Jay-Z. Kanye's new music IMO has no replay value like it use to. i.e "Homecoming" is a song i can never stop liking, but songs like "Clique" was my jam!...for about a week then i got tired of it. 
Why cant i seperate 80's and 90's babies??
Personally, i refuse to accept Drake as the face of hip-hop. Maybe pop/R&B/hip-hop but not hip-hop. 
well your opinion is void because being the face of something has nothing to do with whether you like them or not kid.
nothing. 0. nada. zero. zip.
it has to do w/ public opinion and the masses.
so yes....Drake or Kanye are the face of hip-hop right now.
There were people who didn't like Pac...so what. still the face of hip-hop.
People didn't like Jay-Z...so what....face of hip-hop.
People didn't like Michael Jackson....so....what...face of music.

and what years they were born is irrelevant. it just doesn't make sense.
right now...at this moment....the new face of rap is Drake or Kendrick. there is no way around this. none.
but they were both born in the 80s.
the face of pop? probably Adele or Justin Bieber?
one an 80s baby one a 90s baby...that holds no relevance.
guess who's the face of trap rap right now....2 Chainz OLD ***....so what?
every ratchet 90s baby on instagram talkin bout "she got a big booty so i call her big booty" he was born in the dam 70s.

Last edited:
Just bc he signed with Jimmy doesn't mean he sold out. Ppl hear a rapper's name assoiciated with Jimmy and they just assume that rapper is going to turn pop. That just isn't true. Do you think "Kobe" or "Love Sosa" have a pop sound?
LULZ

well your opinion is void because being the face of something has nothing to do with whether you like them or not kid.
nothing. 0. nada. zero. zip.
it has to do w/ public opinion and the masses.
so yes....Drake or Kanye are the face of hip-hop right now.
There were people who didn't like Pac...so what. still the face of hip-hop.
People didn't like Jay-Z...so what....face of hip-hop.
People didn't like Michael Jackson....so....what...face of music.
and what years they were born is irrelevant. it just doesn't make sense.
right now...at this moment....the new face of rap is Drake or Kendrick. there is no way around this. none.
but they were both born in the 80s.
the face of pop? probably Adele or Justin Bieber?
one an 80s baby one a 90s baby...that holds no relevance.
guess who's the face of trap rap right now....2 Chainz OLD ***....so what?
every ratchet 90s baby on instagram talkin bout "she got a big booty so i call her big booty" he was born in the dam 70s.
I guess you have a strong point about Kanye and Drake. The thing about Drake is i can't label him solely as a rapper. If Drake was 100% white,signed to Colombia or something and not YMCM, and he made the same music i do not think ppl wouldn't label him a rapper FIRST. they'd probably call him a singer or pop artist before they called him a rapper, but hey that's just my opinion. I would defintley say Jeezy is still the face of trap though.

Also Kendrick is not the face of hip-hop. Defnitley real hip-hop, but not the same hip-hop occupied by Wayne and Drake, Kendrick's album sales was based of MAJOR buzz and the notion that somehow buying his album was your was of keeping hip-hop alive. Kendrick definitely deserved to sell 240,000 copies in his first week, but that was based off the buzz that i just mentioned, and he will not have that same type of buzz on his next album. Also those album sales were from a smaller/very loyal fan base(Like Lupe), not from a large fan base(Like Weezy). 

I'm new to NT, but if you guys are going to post on this thread could you actually post something and not respond with moving pics or smiley faces. If you want to follow that up with a real response that's cool, but speak your opinion with words and not picture characters. 

I'm new to NT, but if you guys are going to post on this thread could you actually post something and not respond with moving pics or smiley faces. If you want to follow that up with a real response that's cool, but speak your opinion with words and not picture characters. 

So much stupidity in here . . . From dudes declaring a kid who hasn't even been relevant for a full 12 months the face of hip hop . . . to illuminati (
laugh.gif
) accusations against a dude who makes the same ignorant trap music your local YouTube rapper makes . . . to debating whether or not he's sold out his sound when he's LITERALLY used the same producer and song formula his whole time of relevancy . . .

Man . . . 

NT A&R's . . .

Back
Top Bottom