Is it possible to live on 44k a year in LA? (The LA THREAD!...City Living, Girls and Social Scene).

No disrespect to Baltimore, I live there but the quality of life can't be compared to anything LA has to offer. Unless your living in fells point,canton,federal hill,harbor east, brewers hill, or the county its..see you in the funny papers.

Plus Baltimore has zero yambs, Dc>Baltimore any day of the week literally!

Where you from in baltimore. I'm near towson but still in the city. And I agree with everything you said. Downtown is nice but so expensive for the amount of space realistically you will get. And yeah females here are nothing compared to DC females. I was out the DC harbor the other day and good lord was it bad black and Spanish chicks left and right. I almost left my date and made some moves lol.

With your income you can survive in Long Beach. Get you a small apartment around 4th and Cherry that way you are a short distant from downtown and 2nd street. A bunch of bars within that area. Those bars holds all kinds of ppl. You can walk into a bar and be surrounded by Bros,Brothas,Asians,Mexicans,rockers,hipsters and the occasional 50 yr old that won't let go of his youth. The beach is right there so you can take advantage of the run/bike trail. They even hold free yoga classes on the bluff that got some fly *** white girls. A tip... go to 2nd street bars on OFF days (Mon,Wed,Thurs)

Legends, Dogz, Panama Joes are all chill spots on 2nd and a lot of CSULB chicks go these spots too.

My buddy has a pretty nice apartment in Long Beach for only a $1k a month, close to CSULB tho so the train is like a 20 mins bus ride.

To me... When you're a single man...

Throwed whip + dope apartment >>>> regular whip + house...

Especially in the 20s...

Where you from in baltimore. I'm near towson but still in the city. And I agree with everything you said. Downtown is nice but so expensive for the amount of space realistically you will get. And yeah females here are nothing compared to DC females. I was out the DC harbor the other day and good lord was it bad black and Spanish chicks left and right. I almost left my date and made some moves lol.

Butchers hill currently, I work in DC it's crazy how different two are. I might go back west, even though the east has more women in general the quality of life is way to different.

Towson seems chill I shop there, but I keep reading about college kids getting gun pointed..smh. I only have a few more months of Baltimore left in me I'm done, way to violent.

Last edited:
damb. 5 people bruh?

sick.gif
Newport Beach.  That house is most likely laid, and nowhere from the beach.  If his room mates aren't a bunch of prudes it could be pretty crackin at his spot for a young guy.  I imagine a pool and a Jacuzzi.  Most spots in that area have one of the two or both.  If so bikini bodies are out in his backyard
smokin.gif

Fontaine- Most the UCI kids live in Newps and live like that. It's still pricey for those kids that live 5 in a pad, believe it or not lol.

Y'all paying for location. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. I was just looking at this 2 bedroom for 850 here in baltimore. Decent area and not the biggest apt but it will do.
Not only Location, but opportunities.

Back in Florida I had a brand new 4 Bedroom house in a Gated community on a Lake for $1250/mo. Me and my boys thought we were living LARGE. Then I moved to NY and got a 1 Bdrm 600sq apt for the same price thats when reality hit me. 
mean.gif

I see it this way, you pay more to make more. So it balances out, at the end of the day.

IF i could live anywhere in CA i would say SAN JOSE!....unlimited Spanish and Asian girls
mean.gif
. ya boy love him so ASIAN WOMEN.

But back to the topic....i am shooting of LBC based on the advice.

How much do any of you pay for student loan a month?

Y'all paying for location. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. I was just looking at this 2 bedroom for 850 here in baltimore. Decent area and not the biggest apt but it will do.
Baltimore isn't LA. IDK about out there ...****** would get robbed or killed walking to buy a bag of chips and soda
mean.gif

IF i could live anywhere in CA i would say SAN JOSE!....unlimited Spanish and Asian girls :smh: . ya boy love him so ASIAN WOMEN.

But back to the topic....i am shooting of LBC based on the advice.
How much do any of you pay for student loan a month?

I don't pay a dime, I was on a scholly.

Living on your own and taking care of bills/"going out" with 44k is very possible. Seems as if op just doesn't really want to/cares about things that really don't matter. Also you don't need cable for TV just internet

but if you can live with parents and they are cool with that. Do it.

Also $500 for groceries is A LOT!! I work at a grocery store. I've seen orders that cost 500 and take up 2 baskets. That is A LOT of food.

I've asked people who buy and for a FAMILY it's last about 3 weeks.

Just curious, if money weren't an issue and workplace always close-by, which area of LA would you guys choose to live in?
Without getting too ridiculous and saying Malibu
laugh.gif
probably Santa Monica. Like the scene, weather, and ppl on the Westside.

Once I'm married with kids probably somewhere in the OC
Agree with everything youngdoc said.  I can't imagine living anywhere other than the Westside (and I don't mean Mid-Wilshire or Miracle Mile).  Less traffic and not as difficult to find parking in most areas.

And definitely would want to settle down in OC (probably Irvine or Huntington Beach) if I get married and have kids.  Further south of Laguna Beach is just way too much of a hassle to get to LA for special events - Lakers games, etc.

Living on your own and taking care of bills/"going out" with 44k is very possible. Seems as if op just doesn't really want to/cares about things that really don't matter. Also you don't need cable for TV just internet

but if you can live with parents and they are cool with that. Do it.

Also $500 for groceries is A LOT!! I work at a grocery store. I've seen orders that cost 500 and take up 2 baskets. That is A LOT of food.

I've asked people who buy and for a FAMILY it's last about 3 weeks.
3 weeks worth of food would go bad if any of that is fresh.

i think 500 was a combination of eating out and groceries. But i spend about 3-400 on groceries for 2 ppl for a month. So its not far off.

If I could live anywhere in LA, It'd be Santa Monica/West LA for sure...Especially off Santa Monica Blvd/Bundy. Like everyone else said, it's just so chill.

Anywhere in CA, It'd be the bay for sure. Probably Walnut Creek...right outside of Oakland and not THAT bad of a drive to SF or I could just use BART. I fell in love with the bay this year for sure.

youCAN do it...

But cats in here making it seem like its a walk in the park when it most certainly will not be...

You gonna wash clothes? Does it come with washer and dryer? Prolly not. So you have to figure in laundry bill. That includes buying detergent.

Toothpaste and soap? Haircuts? Taking clothes to the cleaners for work? Yamb wanna grab some food? You want to cruise around LA for an afternoon? You get a driving ticket?

You buy groceries and cook some horrible food? You eat out because you're tired from work? There's a potluck at your job? Gotta get some tags or inspection stickers? Gym membership?

These little expenses pop up REGULARLY... And they add up.

It can be done... But like homey said... Chill at the crib and stack your paper... Or find a 2 bedroom. For a similar price and split rent with your boy...

44k in Dallas is cool... But I've visited LA... The prices for EVERY THING is higher and that adds up .

Realest post in here, 44k is like 2400 clean not 3200 monthly

Newport Beach.  That house is most likely laid, and nowhere from the beach.  If his room mates aren't a bunch of prudes it could be pretty crackin at his spot for a young guy.  I imagine a pool and a Jacuzzi.  Most spots in that area have one of the two or both.  If so bikini bodies are out in his backyard
smokin.gif
As long as you have your own room, the number of people doesn't really matter, IMO--you can always retreat back to your room when you need to get **** done. One year in college, I lived with 11 other dudes in a three-story house (not counting when I lived in the fraternity, which was with 40+ other dudes), and it was a great time. It tends to get unruly/messy the more people you have, but as long as people agree to clean up after themselves, it's not an issue at all, IMO.

I thought it was common knowledge that 44k in LA or NY is equivalent to 70k+ in the south :lol: possibly even more.

Last edited:
I thought it was common knowledge that 44k in LA or NY is equivalent to 70k+ in the south :lol: possibly even more.
You mean earning 44k in the south will get you the same quality of life as 70k in NY/LA?
Yes, use to live in the best complex in Columbia, South Carolina when I went to school. Pool, in door garage, gym, laundry room, free maintenance, gated community, 750 sq ft for one person.. all for $850 a month. All the down south birds thought I was some rich dude :lol: how much that lifestyle run you in LA?

Depends on what you mean by "quality of life". Not talking about living in Birmingham or Fort Smith Arkansas either (obviously)

Back
Top Bottom