Is Kanye West too UPPITY to be the world's greatest living rockstar?

Name any artist in the world that is more influential than Kanye? Seriously.

You can walk through the streets of NYC and literally witness a mass amount of people who dress like Kanye or wearing his signature outfits (bomber, oversized tee, skinny jeans, yeezys, Adidas boosts)

He's the biggest star period in music. Wether you like his music or not, that's a fact.

Last edited:
Nah I used to think T-Pain was a lame until I watched that WSHH documentary of him

***** is a genius

Name any artist in the world that is more influential than Kanye? Seriously.

You can walk through the streets of NYC and literally witness a mass amount of people who dress like Kanye or wearing his signature outfits (bomber, oversized tee, skinny jeans, yeezys, Adidas boosts)

He's the biggest star period in music. Wether you like his music or not, that's a fact.

People used to dress like the Flock of Seagulls singer too

I walk through NY every day and don't see none of that **** :lol:

Maybe I just hang out in the right places.

Kanye's a beast but the worlds greatest rockstar??

That's just too much. Kanye is dope but that title is just too far out of his range.

Call him an artist or a musician but a rockstar? Nah fam leave him out of rock...

You're crazy than. Spend 5 mins in soho/lower east side and it's literally Kanye clones everywhere lol

"he's such a genius, I can't even explain it"
Real **** though . . . 

The thing that sets Kanye apart is that he's always trying new **** out and bringing new **** to hip hop. Going out of his way to push the boundaries of rap and face criticism when he could (like his rap peers) lazily just put out a College Dropout or LR part two, a Graduation part two, even an 808s or MBDTF part two and the main hip hop audience would be satisfied. But he's always tryna do different ****.

None of his albums had something that sounded like it before (OutKast is the only other artist off the top of my head who does this), except for maybe College Dropout because he put that sound all over the game himself through his beats. He definitely has his influences, but as far as the actual music, nobody was doing the orchestral conscious rap, nobody was doing the stadium sound synth rap, nobody was doing the emo autotune robotic rap (that birthed Drake and all his offsprings), same with the maximalist baroque pop, same with the electronic distorted industrial ****.

Same with performance . . . GITD was on some Disney stage production **** . . . same with Yeezus . . . no one else is putting ballerinas and floating shark stages and **** in their show. Most rap shows are just a bunch of high ****** jumping around saying every 5 words. 
laugh.gif

Whether you like his music or not . . . he's always OBJECTIVELY the first to do a lot of things on a hip hop scale . . . 

You're crazy than. Spend 5 mins in soho/lower east side and it's literally Kanye clones everywhere lol

I'm in LES like every weekend and I don't see that. A few cats here and there, mixed in with frat boys in the bars and goons from the projects, but nothing like you're making it seem.

But again, maybe I'm in the right places. And y'all do tend to exaggerate when it comes to this subject.....

"he's such a genius, I can't even explain it"

Real **** though . . . 

The thing that sets Kanye apart is that he's always trying new **** out and bringing new **** to hip hop. Going out of his way to push the boundaries of rap and face criticism when he could (like his rap peers) lazily just put out a College Dropout or LR part two, a Graduation part two, even an 808s or MBDTF part two and the main hip hop audience would be satisfied. But he's always tryna do different ****.

None of his albums had something that sounded like it before (OutKast is the only other artist off the top of my head who does this), except for maybe College Dropout because he put that sound all over the game himself through his beats. He definitely has his influences, but as far as the actual music, nobody was doing the orchestral conscious rap, nobody was doing the stadium sound synth rap, nobody was doing the emo autotune robotic rap (that birthed Drake and all his offsprings), same with the maximalist baroque pop, same with the electronic distorted industrial ****.

Same with performance . . . GITD was on some Disney stage production **** . . . same with Yeezus . . . no one else is putting ballerinas and floating shark stages and **** in their show. Most rap shows are just a bunch of high ****** jumping around saying every 5 words. :lol:

Whether you like his music or not . . . he's always OBJECTIVELY the first to do a lot of things on a hip hop scale . . . 

Case in point :lol:

This is exactly why this could and should have been in the music forum and/or the Kanye thread in it.

But y'all always want to make it more than it is.

This song and dance has been done on here ad nauseum.

Last edited:
I'm in LES like every weekend and I don't see that. A few cats here and there but nothing like you're making it seem.

But y'all do tend to exaggerate when it comes to this subject.....
Case in point
laugh.gif

This is exactly why this could and should have been in the music forum and/or the Kanye thread in it.

Meh . . . put me on to some stuff that sounded like those albums before those albums . . . 

Specifically MBDTF and 808's . . . people always say Love Below when it comes to 808's but I'm not talking subject matter or him being a hip hop artist who sheds the masculinity . . . I'm talking the actual music, ignore Kanye's vocals. As a beatmaker, I pay attention to stuff like that. Who in rap had a song that sounded like this Robocop or Amazing before 808's? Or was doing **** with Justin Vernon and Charlie Wilson on the same song . . . 

I'm always looking for new music.

Far from over exaggerating fam. Your saying you must be in the "right places" lol. I'm in those areas daily and I know who I come across. Kanye influences all these new generations of young adults. Go inside Kith or Nike lab or Zara, etc..it's funny to see all these kids dress the same.

Nah. You're not exaggerating at all.

Why would I think that?

Your avy maybe?

:lol:

Again, this has been done ad nauseum.

If Kith, Nike Lab and ZARA are where you develop your impressions of the Lower East Side, then we're good.

And if you think whatever YOU (choose to) see in Soho/LES is anything more than a small percentage of what's going on in NY, again, we good.

I see kids in Foams EVERYWHERE in NY. Who influenced them? Or are they the few with the own style?

I'm in LES like every weekend and I don't see that. A few cats here and there but nothing like you're making it seem.

But y'all do tend to exaggerate when it comes to this subject.....

Case in point :lol:

Meh . . . put me on to some stuff that sounded like those albums before those albums . . . 

Specifically MBDTF and 808's . . . people always say Love Below when it comes to 808's but I'm not talking subject matter or him being a hip hop artist who sheds the masculinity . . . I'm talking the actual music, ignore Kanye's vocals. As a beatmaker, I pay attention to stuff like that. Who in rap had a song that sounded like this Robocop or Amazing before 808's? Or was doing **** with Justin Vernon and Charlie Wilson on the same song . . . 

I'm always looking for new music.

So it IS a Music thread now OP? Where are we?

That was my point.

Dude NEEDS to put out some new music.

Got cats out here struggling for something to talk about.

Last edited:

Why would I think that?

Your avy maybe?

laugh.gif

If Kith, Nike Lab and ZARA are where you develop your impressions of the Lower East Side, then we're good.

And if you think whatever you see in Soho/LES is anything more than a small percentage of what's going on in NY, again, we good.

I see kids in Foams EVERYWHERE in NY. Who influenced them? Or are they the few with the own style?

That was my point.

Go cats out here struggling for something to talk about.
I mean it was more about the undertone of why old white rockers were condemning him for behavior that historically have added to someone's "rockstar status" for lack of a better term . . . but then StillIn asked what was so dope about him/why he is so highly regarded 

Far from over exaggerating fam. Your saying you must be in the "right places" lol. I'm in those areas daily and I know who I come across. Kanye influences all these new generations of young adults. Go inside Kith or Nike lab or Zara, etc..it's funny to see all these kids dress the same.

That's just where the Yeezus cult gathers, hardly a representation of NYC

I still rock SB's on the reg though so what do I know

i find it laughable that ye would consider himself the greatest living rockstar [& imma die hard ye fan] ..when these guys are still touring, setting records & don't show any signs of slowing down ..in my opinion, mick jagger by far is the greatest living rockstar.

watts

wood

jagger

richards, nuff said.

Why would I think that?

Your avy maybe?

:lol:

And if you think whatever you see in Soho/LES is anything more than a small percentage of what's going on in NY, again, we good.

That was my point.

Go cats out here struggling for something to talk about.

I mean it was more about the undertone of why old white rockers were condemning him for behavior that historically have added to someone's "rockstar status" for lack of a better term . . . but then StillIn asked what was so dope about him/why he is so highly regarded 

Kanye's behavior is nothing that would "historically have added to someone's "rockstar status"" IMO. Not even close outside of marrying an "it girl".

This whole conversation is ridiculous to me.

Dude is major. Great musician that got dudes out here acting like they're chasing N'syncs tour bus.

Why he or any of us need to dwell on these semantic labels is beyond me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom