Is Nike no longer as cool as it used to be?

As a gen z who is 17, turning 18, there's a bunch of weirdos wearing allbirds, hoka, salmons, and them new lanvin curb joints which are humongous.

Not me. I can't rock with that. Plenty of people still wearing panda dunks thinking they're doing it though.

I have a little cousin who wanted panda dunks and I had put his lil fat *** on game to only rock Jordan 1 og lows or 85s instead

It says you joined in 2008 🤣

Idk maybe its a regional thing but in Texas its On Clouds. I kinda feel like its some political bs behind it too.

Now that you say that, I had an old conservative co worker who raved about onclouds. I see a lot of Hokas in the wild up here in Michigan. I think Hoka is popular with healthcare workers too.

Hi y’all. Can you help settle a debate for me?

I told a friend that Nike was no longer the cool hype must have sneaker brand among Gen Z (and in general.)

I told him other brands (imo like ASICS) have overtaken them in coolness with the current generation. I also pointed out that the past several Jordan releases have sold out while other brands are selling out and more sought after.

IMO gen z doesn’t really **** with Nike.

As a counter my friend said all of his Gen Z neighbors are still crazy about Dunks and Nike is still as cool and hype as it always has been. He also stated Nike’s earnings are the same which is actual evidence.

But idk. IMO the vibes are down. It’s not the same.

So what do y’all think?

I feel like this is more of a "I like apples" vs "I like oranges" debate, 'cause it depends on how you see the information (general audience vs. individually).

In the lens of the general audience, Nike still does have that "cool" factor at least here in the US; it's just that other brands are getting more attention one way or another. There's not one single factor but possibly multiple (and a combination): current fashion trends, the economy (maybe), social media, personal growth/awareness (within themselves and/or about Nike's marketing), etc. If you think about it in terms of filling up a pie chart 100%, if Nike took up 90% (generously speaking) of the pie chart, the other brands have shrunken their dominance to maybe like... 80%, but it doesn't change the fact that they're still dominant.

With all that said, to answer your question... In my personal opinion, I think Nike still has that cool factor, but it's not the same vibe I once felt about it. I just say that from just being more aware of Nike's marketing tactics and how it's gotten frustrating.

Last edited:
I got some hokas and they’re just aight for me. I prefer less support and bounciness

I only people that wear Hokas are the nurses I be dating off Hinge with a golden retriever and a jeep.

She probably likes espresso martinis, Target, and traveling. Take her to a happy hour at an above average sports bar on a Friday night, tell her how much you admire her work and you're in there. EASY.

IMG_8197.gif

High school kids wear Crocs, Dunks, AF1, AM97, and anything that looks like a Dunk/AF1.

Old white people now wear those On Clouds. That’s the kiss of death for them. Same with Cole Haan zerogrands. No longer cool for adults.

Back
Top Bottom