Is NYC Still Worth Moving to?

Speaking exclusively from a cultural perspective, is NYC still NYC?

Is there still a distinct culture? Or has all the patina of old NYC been painted over?

Move to marcy for the culture b. Get some juniors. Hit up dr. Jays. Go to harlem. Wash your face. Snuff Jimmy on tnt. Then move to Connecticut.

East New York* in BK aint bad too op. You’ll make friends quick.

Last edited:
If your single or rooming with friends or a gf, I guess. If you’re married with children, putting them through all the inner city bs isn’t cool especially if you aren’t making bank and live in a less than desirable area. Depends on the type of person you are.

If your single or rooming with friends or a gf, I guess. If you’re married with children, putting them through all the inner city bs isn’t cool especially if you aren’t making bank and live in a less than desirable area. Depends on the type of person you are.

Yeah but imagine having a rent controlled apartment that has a room the size of a broom closet with dirty 1980 bed sheets that you can pass down to your kids. Winning.

My only advice is make sure u have a job before moving here. It can get real uncomfortable fast without a steady cash flow. .

other than that, it’s a great place to live.

Yes, NY is still very much relevant, the most culturally relevant city in the country arguably the world. It will never be glazed over like the bay area has become for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
Speaking exclusively from a cultural perspective, is NYC still NYC?

Is there still a distinct culture? Or has all the patina of old NYC been painted over?
With rent lower than recent years it may seem almost worth it, but the damage the city has taken will take years to recover IMO.

Taxes are too high, and infrastructure is also crumbling. The people are still here though, for now.

90’s - 2000’s NYC I would move back in a heart beat. The city ain’t what it used to be man. Back in the days you could get a decent apartment in a decent area for a price that wouldn’t break your bank. Place wasn’t so damn unnecessarily populated and gentrified like it is now. I miss living in NYC before it was the cool thing to do.

I moved after college and I wasnt feelin it at first but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. Yes I’ll always miss my friends and the social life but my friends tell me all the time how they can’t wait to get outta there either. I don’t want to paint it as a bad place to live in... it just ain’t what it used to

If you want the facade of nyc, no

if you don’t mind living around real new yorkers and not transplants who are only here to complain then yes

Sound like a hipster question imo. Greatest city in the world.

Next stop “Houston Street”

Random dude with map:
1EE61483-047F-4571-99DE-38E6FE66ACE9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom